Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed this kit on their X3 MY17 - MY20 and what issues if any did you incur? Also, has anybody installed this on the 2017 X3 XRS or am I going to be the first?

TIA

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was recently looking into topic also.

Anyone that has upgraded from a 450W to a 650W, is the stator the Only part of the system that needs to be changed to increase the output?

·
Premium Member
8,571 Posts
Thank you Megadesertdiesel but my post asks for the experience of those who have done the upgrade.
! You asked if the stator the only part that needed changing and I spoon fed you all the needed parts. Well, I’ll just go back to being the asshole of the forum and make your search next time.

as my homie Fez says. “To you I say GOOD DAY”.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
! You asked if the stator the only part that needed changing and I spoon fed you all the needed parts. Well, I’ll just go back to being the asshole of the forum and make your search next time.

as my homie Fez says. “To you I say GOOD DAY”.
No sir, ROTARYPOWER101 asked about the stator. The post was for those who have had the experience installing the 850-watt magneto kit. Thank you for helping rotarypower101.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
No sir, ROTARYPOWER101 asked about the stator. The post was for those who have had the experience installing the 850-watt magneto kit. Thank you for helping rotarypower101.
I talked to the service manager at the dealer I use about this upgrade about a month ago. They had done a few already with no issues. Said if I wanted to do it I could drop my car off in the morning and come pick it up later in the day.

It is on the list of things I will be doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the service manager at the dealer I use about this upgrade about a month ago. They had done a few already with no issues. Said if I wanted to do it I could drop my car off in the morning and come pick it up later in the day.

Sand Shark, may I ask what year is your Maverick X3?
BRP lists the kit in the accessory catalog for MY18 - MY20 (except 90hp models) so I'm trying to see if anyone has done this on a 2017 Maverick X3 154hp model and what if any issues they may have run into. I'm looking to install the kit myself.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Sand Shark, may I ask what year is your Maverick X3?
BRP lists the kit in the accessory catalog for MY18 - MY20 (except 90hp models) so I'm trying to see if anyone has done this on a 2017 Maverick X3 154hp model and what if any issues they may have run into. I'm looking to install the kit myself.
Mine is a 2018.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did the upgrade last weekend. The kit should work for your machine. The puller is generic and works on Yamaha and Suzuki. Crankshaft locking tool is mandatory and you can make the protector with a spacer and a bolt. My Can Am is a 2020 but I believe a 2017 is no different as far as right engine side components.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the upgrade last weekend. The kit should work for your machine. The puller is generic and works on Yamaha and Suzuki. Crankshaft locking tool is mandatory and you can make the protector with a spacer and a bolt. My Can Am is a 2020 but I believe a 2017 is no different as far as right engine side components.
Ruger, I completely agree with you and so does my dealer, but concerned about why BRP hasn't included it as one of the model years. Maybe someone else will reply with a 2017 or I may very well end up being the first. Dealer is also checking with BRP just to be sure. Dealer also shared that you can remove it without the crankshaft locking tool and use an impact gun. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bobsled

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes you can use an impact gun to remove it but are you going to torque it back on with an impact? You could use a primary clutch holding tool but more work. The locking tool just helps insure that you can do the job properly. You also need to swap the one way clutch over and torque the three bolts. If you have your dealer do the job please make sure he uses the proper tools for re assembly, no Ugga dugga !😀

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I will be doing this upgrade too, and mine is a 2017 xrs 154hp originally. It will be a while before I do though so I am not able to verify 100% if it will work, but I am like 95% sure it will.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be doing this upgrade too, and mine is a 2017 xrs 154hp originally. It will be a while before I do though so I am not able to verify 100% if it will work, but I am like 95% sure it will.
mgrotel,
I agree on the likelihood that the kit will fit the 2017 xrs 154hp models, but the dealer is going above and beyond trying to get ahold of an engineer at BRP to confirm this. Logically, I would think that BRP would like the sales from 2017 models unless there's a reason why they couldn't include it in the applicable model years.
I'll share with you and others on here as soon as I receive the word.

Thanks for the crank locking tooltip, I can't think of another time that I will use these specialty tools after this install.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes you can use an impact gun to remove it but are you going to torque it back on with an impact? You could use a primary clutch holding tool but more work. The locking tool just helps insure that you can do the job properly. You also need to swap the one way clutch over and torque the three bolts. If you have your dealer do the job please make sure he uses the proper tools for re assembly, no Ugga dugga !😀
Ruger, I completely agree 100% and I have all 3 specialty tools on my order. I'll be doing the installation myself so I'm not looking to cut any corners.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Please report back, would be interesting to see what BRP says, I bet its something like, "um yea sure....."

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Come on Mike get with it already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts