Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I read on here all the time about you all bashing Rzr 1000's. Well I personally own a Maverick and a Spyder and I'm here to tell you my next one will be something other than a Can Am. I bought the Maverick and took it on one ride to Royal Blue. I was with my cousin who was on his first ride on his Rzr 1000. We had rode the better part of the day and then we started down a trail and he went thru a mud hole and then I tried to go thru but couldn't make it. So him and his wife go back to the truck to get a tow rope while me and my wife wait for him to come back. So he comes back couple hours later and pulls me out. We ride back to truck and head home. When I'm washing it a couple days later I notice grease coming out of the rear end. So that Saturday I take it to the dealership where I bought it. So they call me about a week and a half later and tell me before they will tear it apart that I have to give them authorization that way if can am doesn't pay for it I will have to. So I wait and wait and call back a couple times and they tell me they haven't had time to tear it down. Finally 27 days later they call me to give me the bad news that the rear end was full of water and mud and so was transmission. No seals were bad though. It all came in thru vent hose in between the seats or they said it came in thru seals. The seals weren't bad though. The dealership owner Charles Jansing of Alcoa Good Times in Alcoa, TN who I have purchased 3 powersports vehicles from said that his mechanic told him when your in a mud hole spinning that it creates a vacuum on the seals and allows water and mud to flow past seals. So I said ok and I contacted brp directly they said that the dealership said it had been abused and would not be covered under warranty. So I have a Maverick that I have owned for 6 weeks and has been in the shop for 4 of the 6. I have rode it one time in the woods and it has 8 hours on it. That 8 hours cost me $1900 plus the original $19000. So yeah my next one will not be a can am. During that time my cousin has been riding his rzr every weekend. I really thought can am would stand behind there product way better than this. And to beat it all its been abused but the body doesnt have a scratch on it. I reckon your not supposed to take an all terrain vehicle off road or in any mud.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I always knew there was good reason for me to stay out of mudholes. Don't really have to worry about that too much here in the desert SW.

Good luck to you...I guess I'd be a little pissed too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sorry to hear all that crap, if I were you I'd scream much louder at them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yep, don't bash the product, bash the dealership, we beat the hell out of 5 other mavericks and other can-am commanders down here in the Mississippi delta, deep water, deep mud, pure hell.. and they are feeding you a plate of bullchit! we haven't had those problems, and im all stock except for 32" terminators on my maverick 2014

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do agree the dealership did screw me. But when you call Can Am customer service and they won't even listen to you its on Can Am. I told them to send somebody to dealership and verify its been abused and they more less tell me the case is closed unless dealership sends them something else. I really thought Can Am would at least let you talk and listen but whatever. The bad part is I really like BRP products. I was wanting to purchase 2 new Sea Doo Sparks but not now. I think they make good stuff but you've got to stand behind it too.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Their argument, for you to get mud and water in the trans, the water/mud had to be over the cvt intake or exhaust snorkel, that's the only argument they will win, same with the rear end vent, had to be under water

·
Registered
725 Posts
I doubt it would be any different at Polaris. How deep was the hole had to be pretty deep and submerged for that long muddy water probably made it's way down the vent tubes.. Lesson learned don't leave home without a tow rope no matter what.

·
Registered
56 Posts
By the story it sounds like it sat underwater for a couple of hours. Thats a little different than getting stuck in a hole and getting pulled out 5 minutes later, I would probably expect some water intrusion. Still don't understand a $1900 bill though, seems like a lot for a disassembly/reassembly and fresh fluids. Sounds like your dealer really put it to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Annnnddddd. You also should have thought about checking all your fluids after sitting that long in a mud hole. That's just part of maintenance on toys. So I think its on you and your dealer. A good dealer would have figured out a way to take care of ya. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
sounds like it was pretty deep mud/water, sounds like 2 hours sitting there, both are not good unless you have it snorkeled since were talking sitting 2 hours in that mess. any machine may have problems sitting in deep mud/water for 2 hours. problem #2, why did you all not have a tow strap with you, especially when your around mud, if you had been in low 4x4 you would have made it anywhere your buddy did. lastly, if you had made a big enough beef, and even went to another dealership canam MIGHT have took care of it, dealer balled you here and its likely a joint responsibility issue between you and him, not really a fully canam fault!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Water and mud is a warranty buster every time. Nobody is going to warranty anything with mud and water in it. But with that said your dealer can get just about anything warrantied if they try.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I understand your frustrations but I do agree with the others stating that your dealership screwed you. They are the ones the filed the report to Can Am that you abused the vehicle. Ultimately a lot of my decisions do come down to who will I get the best after purchase service and support from when I make a purchase. I do feel Can Am's products are superior to Polaris and I do 99% of all of my own work and fortunately I have a decent dealership to work with and I know the owner.

Can you elaborate on what they did that cost you $1900? Did you really need a new gearbox and rear diff or did it just need to be flushed and refilled with the fluids. Also, you said you noticed grease leaking from the rear end.....was it from the vent tube or from the seals? It had to be one or the other.....I am guessing it was the vent tube. If so, then you had to have submerged it deep enough to allow it to suck in mud and water into the vent tubes. Unfortunately, if this is the case then this really is your fault and not Can Am's.....There are simple solutions to this such as putting a one way check valve on the vent lines to prevent anything from getting sucked in if you do happen to go too deep.

In retrospect, If it were me, I would be having a long talk with the service manager and/or owner of the dealership about this and see if they are at least willing to work with you on the repair bill and also find out why they told Can Am that you abused the vehicle if you are confident that you have not.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like my dealer, purchased my 2012 commander 1000, 2013 rzr 900 xp , and my 2014 maverick xrs-dps model from them. they are blind to my playing in deep mud and water and bouncing off trees and such. he since day one has been blind to my snorkles and has gotten every bit of warranty work covered when I needed it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Try taking a rzr to polaris full of waterand expect them to fix it for free, I don't think so hoss. Sounds like you screwed up and your dealer bent you over hard. He is telling you one thing and can am another. If you filled it with water by going to deep, it is called abuse because you took it beyond it's limits and let it soak in a 4 ft mudhole for 2 hours. It doesn't seem hard to figure out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I am his cousin that was riding with him. We try to go around mid when possible. On the tow strap he thought I had one I thought he had one. I had no problems getting through the puddle. It wasn't that deep. He got stuck because he bottomed out not because it was to deep. The only way it could have went in the tube was from the tires splashing water while trying to get out. So if any it would have been minimal. It would have not been enough to rust everything in it like they said.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
stick the xp1000 in the mud hole for 2 hours and see what happens to it lol

your dealership screwed u maybe?, far from a brp problem I think

anytime any machine whatever it is sits in water u tow it home and change all fluids , don't start it - if it was deep

·
Registered
175 Posts
Devils advocate here, what if the dealer forgot to put fluid in the diff, or put the wrong amount, or the wrong fluid. They could be blaming it on the mud just by seeing that you were in some mud and realizing that it's a credible story to you and can am, when it's actually their fault. That's why I check out new machines throughly myself and always double check the dealers work.

This is just a scenario, but it is plausible if they are a a shady dealer to begin with.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts