Votes: 14 58.3%
  • 72in

Votes: 10 41.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I was wondering your guys thoughts on a 72in machine riding trails in eastern ky or Tn. like wildcat off road or brimstone. Would it be better to get a 64in and upgrade?

·
Premium Member
12,710 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If you can depending on your trails, get the 72" model. If you can even find one!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ride primarily OH, PA, WV, KY, and I'm partial to a 64". The trails get narrow around here. If you're talking about upgrading a 64 to a 72 anyway... Why not start at 72 and upgrade parts as you damage them?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
a lot of the offroad parks on the east coast have narrow spots and narrow trails that make it difficult or impossible for a 72 to drive on. Many of the state parks on the east coast limit sxs to 66 and under.

72 is a more stable machine, buy a 72 if it wont limit your riding areas

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Agree with the above on 72" being the best choice if your trails allow. The gates you go through will typically tell you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, The trails i ride are mostly family land or government. I don't think I would be anywhere to tight for the 72"

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
you mentioned Brimstone.....I assume you ride H.M. trails and Windrock. I would want a 72 inch for the rock and mountain trails, that extra stability makes a big difference.......you'll stay right side up :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Doesn't work like that.....west coast wants 72. East coast is trail dependent. Obviously more stability is better if your trails allow it

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,391 Posts
Everyone will tell you 72". If width is no issue of course go 72.

It simply comes down to 1 thing. Versatility.

If you buy a 72" and it takes away 10-15% or less of the places you can drive no big deal.

If you're like me and it takes away 30-40% or more of the places you can go maybe a 64" is better.

I'm in a heavily forested area of the country and things get pretty tight in places. I do a lot of 3 or 4 day overland trips and there's just way too many places that would be cut off from me with a 72. Plus I'm the only SXS guy in my group of friends. Always running with ATV's.

64 is less stable on paper of course. But by no means is it an unstable machine. Plus don't forget a 72 is over 150 pounds heavier which is quite significant. That's like removing a second passenger which is super noticeable.

I run a light weight as possible 64 with over 200hp. The car is no slouch its a rocket on back roads, fire roads, and logging roads.

How versatile do you want to be, or have to be is the question.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In WI. the state has a 65" law. Our trails are a mix of fire lane roads and narrow trails some road riding. You can probably do just fine with a 72" until some wanna be racer comes flying around the corner and hits you. DNR investigates and his family sues you ? Not worth it no matter what or who is at fault you will be responsible.

·
Registered
2021 RS RR
4 Posts
A 72 will be no problem at wildcat. I have rode mine on about every trail there. Haven’t made it to brimstone yet so don’t know about there.

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Maverick x3 Turbo DS
34 Posts
I kind of wanted a 72 inch machine but I opted for a 64 and I’m glad I did because a 72 would not have fit on half the trails I ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Much like many others here, if it won’t effect your capability of places to ride, you may as well go 72”. I live just over the boarder in Illinois and Wisconsin limits units to 66” so for me the smart choice was 64” unit because I would have lost a large amount of riding trails. Not worth it in my opinion

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
131 Posts
Width could limit your trailers too...

·
Registered
87 Posts
you can always use binders and ratchet your wheels towards each other to narrow the car to fit in the trailer.
but yeah, 64 vs 72 is really a matter of where you ride.
I wanted a 72 but realised I would be in trouble 50% of the time, max width here is 64. and it gets enforced a lot by patrol. especial winter when trails are narrow. and also concrete block or metal fencing at a lot of places set at 66 inches.

i bought a 64, installed 5+2 rims resulting 66 ''wide car.
then raised it at 16 inches and it made it 65 '' wide.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,391 Posts
you can always use binders and ratchet your wheels towards each other to narrow the car to fit in the trailer.
but yeah, 64 vs 72 is really a matter of where you ride.
I wanted a 72 but realised I would be in trouble 50% of the time, max width here is 64. and it gets enforced a lot by patrol. especial winter when trails are narrow. and also concrete block or metal fencing at a lot of places set at 66 inches.

i bought a 64, installed 5+2 rims resulting 66 ''wide car.
then raised it at 16 inches and it made it 65 '' wide.
We are a 65 limit here in Ontario. Not that I've ever heard of anyone checking. Like you say it can just be too much trouble. Some places you could technically get a 72 through. But man it would be a pian in the ass. Even my 60" Sport is far simpler to get through many places, turns sharper too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts