Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Talking to my parts guy today he says 652 supersedes 651. If you try and order 651 it sends him straight to 652. Could be a different rubber compound or cords. Who knows what they did. Must be better, I guess...
This has been my question, I tried to see if I could see or tell any difference whatsoever and notta, many in the parts industry seem to think it was a part# change only to represent different applications.

·
Registered
723 Posts
This has been my question, I tried to see if I could see or tell any difference whatsoever and notta, many in the parts industry seem to think it was a part# change only to represent different applications.
being in the auto industry, and being a parts supplier, a lot of times when a part changes part numbers, but remains the same (visually) it's typically done due to an engineering change. Different rubber used, more rubber added, but doesn't always mean cosmetically.

Perfect example i'm currently in the process of doing an engineering change to a license plate applique for a GM suv. It will change the part number for ordering purposes. What's being changed you might ask? Routing of a wire to prevent pinching on the assembly side.

Others might be due to shifting an attachment feature (screw/bolt/mounting nut) to the left/right/up/down..

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
being in the auto industry, and being a parts supplier, a lot of times when a part changes part numbers, but remains the same (visually) it's typically done due to an engineering change. Different rubber used, more rubber added, but doesn't always mean cosmetically.

Perfect example i'm currently in the process of doing an engineering change to a license plate applique for a GM suv. It will change the part number for ordering purposes. What's being changed you might ask? Routing of a wire to prevent pinching on the assembly side.

Others might be due to shifting an attachment feature (screw/bolt/mounting nut) to the left/right/up/down..
Oh I realize that very well and in many cases you are correct that the part was updated, and it also could be for the better or the worse or a different supplier/mfg or just a number change due to reference only.

I would think if they updated/upgraded the materials in belt manufacturing it would have included many other Can Am belts as well with a change of part#
I'm still trying to find the correct answer between the 651and 652.
Is there actually a difference?

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
Oh I realize that very well and in many cases you are correct that the part was updated, and it also could be for the better or the worse or just a number change due to reference only.

I would think if they updated/upgraded the materials in belt manufacturing it would have included many other Can Am belts as well with a change of part#
I'm still trying to find the correct answer between the 651and 652.
Is there actually a difference?
I doubt we will ever know. Brp wouldn’t want to tell anyone what new special thing they changed for fear of it being copied by others.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts