Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Maverick X3 Max, either the XDS RR or the XRS. But the question comes down to width. I will be doing a lot of trail riding here in the Sierra Nevada area and some desert/dune riding as well. What are some pros and cons with going with the wider unit? I should also mention we plan on taking the unit to other states as we travel and ride there as well. Any input, comments or suggestions would be great. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
The wider car will give you more stability, if the trails you ride are slow and tight then the 64 would be a better choice but for rougher and higher speeds and desert riding the 72 will be better, Ive never had any trouble with my 72” being too wide
you might follow deserdogs 4000 mile jurney he just started he’s riding from phoenix az to south carolina I believe it is all the wayto the east coast up thru the rocky mountains he’s running a 72” max and has over 22000 miles going all over the place pho to canada pho to sturgis nd He’s an adventurer , ( not a desertdog, but a luckydog) look for his posts Im desertdog01 so its not me

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Size always matters, LOL! DD01 touched on some good points. There's more stability being wider, but then again, it could hinder you in a trailer set up. There have been quite a few members that didn't buy the XRS, and then have threads wanting to know what is needed to change to get the extra width. Both are great cars, but IMO, I would go with the 72" car. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Which states are you planning on traveling too? In MN and some other midwestern states they have a max width of 65” with gates and rocks to enforce it.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Since you'll be doing mostly desert & wide open areas in Nevada, wider is much more stable and I highly recommend the 72" model. Trailer / toy hauler size would be your next concern if you already own a trailer.

There are states / areas where trail width is restricted, hence the demand for the 64" models.

Hope that help. Enjoy the journey ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feed back, since I will be mostly on trails and then some desert/dunes, I am thinking the 64" might be the way to go. Some of the states I will be running are: CA, NV, OR, WA, CO, NH, ME, VT, WY. so west coast and new england.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
72" and don't look back! I ride tight trails all the time and have no issue. If I can not get thru then I go around. Then everybody else can too lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you plan on riding New England,especially Maine then 64"[email protected]" you'd be limited to strictly rail bed.And depending on what parts of maine 64" will be pushing it.
I live in maine and am back n forth between 60"& 64". Had 50" trail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts