Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

6 Seater Maverick

27K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  dirtyj 
#1 ·
Finally finished and it came out good. I know some will be concerned about the center of gravity and the rear overhang, we addressed this by telling all the people in the forward seats to think very low and heavy thoughts......so far so good. Also I was warned about the potential for wheelies, after 100+ miles it is with great saddness that I report not a single one......

Think you Phil, Dany, and Carlo! You guys are awesome, and thank you Alex for the nets and the hitch and thank you Todd for the seats after 2 people left us hanging.
Vehicle Auto part Metal Space

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Tire Automotive design

Auto part Fender Exercise equipment Bicycle saddle Metal

Vehicle Wheel

Technology Table Desk Auto part Electronic device

Vehicle Auto part Metal Bicycle fork Chassis
Vehicle Chair Metal
Vehicle Auto part Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Car
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Monster truck Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Car
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
looks pretty cool....not for me, but definitely cool.

#10 ·
I think its a pretty cool set up and nice job to man !

no its not a dune machine but a awesome trail rig !

#12 ·
That's impressive. I would have never thought that could be pulled off so cleanly. You guys are real craftsmen!

#16 ·
Surprisingly not bad at all. Still very neutral, if I hadn't driven it before I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Since I did I know that at the limit on the exit of a certain tight turn on the GP track in durhamtown there can be a tendency to want to lift the inside front or at least feel that way. Also on the muddy trails while going slow I had to steer with the throttle more. I am not sure if this was because of the mud or the weight or both. I will be calling you sometime about shock work and maybe we can tweak your package for the extra weight.

It's great to be able to throw everyone in it.

Do you have the female seat belt part of those window net?
Thanks again for them.

#17 ·
Sweet ride man!

#25 ·
There has been so much positive feed back that I want to make sure credit goes where it is due.

First with the exception of a few tack welds all welding was done by Phil who happens to work for NASA....hence the high quality. I did the majority of the bending and cutting and grinding and Phil would put the final tweaks on it or bail me out when I got in trouble, like the 2 times he lengthened a piece of tubing I had cut too short. My neighbor who used to build furniture and now programs has never done anything like this and did almost all of the aluminum cutting with a jig saw and fit up the fender panels and the lights. There wasn't time to get to the powder coater so Carlo painted it with bed liner from a spray can (as some one at the commander forum had suggested) topped with a layer of flat black from a can. The design came from only God knows where, we never had one or developed one we kept to factory lines made sure Phil and I could both sit back there at the same time and it built itself.

Phil, like Alex is most definitely a master craftsman, the rest of us are bunch of hacks with Harbor Freight tools!

#26 · (Edited)
BMOC, thank you for your suggestion. I did some quick rough calculations, the 250 or so extra lbs (a 7 and 8 year old plus the conversion) added 1 foot back from the rear axle reduced the front axle weight by 26lbs. The max weighs roughly 100 lbs more in the front than the 2 seater and that 100 lbs is 2.5' further away. If I use 550 lbs for back there (2 fat old guys plus the conversion) I reduce the front weight by 59 lbs so my front axle weight is still heavier than the 2 seater and again still 2.5' further away. This is static look at things and doesn't tell the dynamic story but it helps to give some insight into the effect of the conversion. Real world experience confirms the numbers, if you didn't have a basis of comparison you wouldn't even know there was anything back there. I think the reason it works so we'll is because the thing is so long and heavy to begin with.

Also we have plans for a front winch and a heavy front bumper.

PS If the 2 fat old guys in the back don't make it wheelie I am going to find 2 fatter and older guys until it does, then I will video it and post it and be as giddy as a small child.

#27 ·
That I gotta see....put some magnesium skids back there too for a shower of sparks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.