Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..whadayathink. Is there going to be a 50 inch wide version of the Maverick available for those that ride trails? I hope so...but then again I don't. You see...I bought a frickin' RZR 2 weeks ago. Not 'cause I like Poo...there 4x4 system kinda sucks. But because it's the only 50" SxS. If the Mav is available in a 50" platform...resale value of the RZR goes down the toilet. My timing sucks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sure hope so. I would like to see a 50" version with DPS, beadlocks, FOX shocks, and either an 800 or 1000 would be great. I wouldn't even mind it being a 500 to compete with the RZR 570. I haven't bought mine yet. Waiting to see what happens with the Maverick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think there will be in time. I am not convinced that it will be part of the first release. As far as I know all it would need would be a completely different suspension (a arms and shocks and such) with most stuff being the same.

I wouldn't expect any 100 + hp 50" versions, that just seems dangerous to me. The 71 horse 800r is still way way more powerful than the polaris 800 though, so it shouldn't be difficult to claim the top spot in that division.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope so too I don't see how a sxs with a low ride postion, good cage, and seat belts can be any more dangerous than the new atvs where the rider sits higher up. I think Can Am should have built it the same way Polaris did the Rzr make a narrow version then add bigger fenders and wider axles for those who want that. I've looked at the rzr 570 and would probably own one now if they had a little more room and power. So hopefully Can Am comes through.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The pic posted in black op thread this morning with the maverick beside a commander . The maverick looked wider I was hoping for a 60" wide version at least. We will see.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think 50" defeats the whole pourpose of the sport market.

We need the 65 width

Longer wheelbase ( but not as long as the Wildcat, its to long )

You cant get long travel suspension with only 50" wide

50" rigs are tight trail rigs- not high speed - rough terrain sport rigs IMHO

we need both width and a little more length to accept the long travel suspension and give us the handleing that goes with it .

But if there is a market for 50" trail riders, i hope Can am develops something for you guys also .

·
Registered
5 Posts
What good is it if it doesn't fit down a trail? It's too bad the RZR is so unreliable, otherwise it would make a good starter platform. Here's hoping that Can-Am steps up to the plate and gives us an alternative to the RZR. Tight, narrow trails are awesome!

·
Registered
62 Posts
60 inches is about the ideal width for me on my trails. Wide enough to have a good solid stance, but not getting overly difficult to get down trails.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Width is a big deal. Some people still can't understand how the RZR XP will not fit down a trail. But as with my riding area, many have obstacles such as bridges with side railings and gates that a RZR S at 60 1/2" barely fits through with a little rubbing. So that extra 3 or 4 inches kills the deal. I'm hoping that the Maverick is at max 60", better yet, 58" like the Commander. Then they will really have a part of the market that Polaris has overlooked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only way they can make everyone happy is by having different models with different widths. So that is what we will have to hope for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The only way they can make everyone happy is by having different models with different widths. So that is what we will have to hope for.
Exactly. It's a concept that Polaris makes work fairly well with the RZR, Can-Am ought to be able to pull it off. A fairly narrow body with shorter a-arms and a narrow width for a trail machine (possibly limited to the 800 Rotax) with versions with longer a-arms/trailing arms, wider width and a lot more suspension travel for the dune/desert guys.

Width is a big deal. Some people still can't understand how the RZR XP will not fit down a trail. But as with my riding area, many have obstacles such as bridges with side railings and gates that a RZR S at 60 1/2" barely fits through with a little rubbing. So that extra 3 or 4 inches kills the deal. I'm hoping that the Maverick is at max 60", better yet, 58" like the Commander. Then they will really have a part of the market that Polaris has overlooked.
50 inch is the legal limit here and some trails have obstructions limiting it to not much more than that. Many of our trails are carved into the side of a mountain or thread through the woods...even a 60 inch machine will be stuck (both legally and physically) on roads. Not much fun in that. Though I sure had fun with an XP the one time I got to drive it, even if I couldn't take it into the good stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
agreed polaris has their machines 90% perfect but the lack of power in the trail machines and the weakness of the drive train are the main things that stop me from purchasing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
agreed polaris has their machines 90% perfect but the lack of power in the trail machines and the weakness of the drive train are the main things that stop me from purchasing.
Yeah, fiftysomething HP in a 1000 lb machine is a bit lacking, especially after coming off a Renegade. Combine that with questionable reliability, a marginal 4x4 system with no engine braking and far more/tougher maintenance than necessary....it's a bit lacking. Still, at this instant, the only 50" game in town for a SxS.

I'd like to see a 50 inch version with the size/packaging of the RZR, a high strength space frame (not square tube tacked together)(Yamaha might have to show everyone how to build one), some thought put into basic maintenance and reliability, with a Rotax 1000, ViscoLoc QE and DPS. A good bit of aluminum in the suspension and a weight of ~850 lbs.

Hey, a guy can dream. Might as well throw in, price comparable to the 50" RZR (~$12k)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts