Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok I have an update to my light bar installation. Because if the way the BRP plastic roof is shaped and extends out past the windshield I can't use BMOC's mounting method. The bar has to be out in front of the cage and pretty much in front of anything else metal that would have some substance to it for strength. After looking at the roof I'm going to try mounting it without any supports and put small steel plates under the roof to try to help strengthen it. The way the roof is shaped in the mounting area it actually feels pretty strong there. I'll keep an eye on it for stress but I really think it's going to be ok. If anyone has any better suggestions let me know.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Which roof do you have? I don't see why the hanger deal wouldn't work. If you can post a pick of your setup to get a better idea what we're looking at.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Here is a front shot of it temporarily mounted. You can't tell but the LED is about 5" in front of the cages cross bar. You can't put it back any farther as it hits the raised areas in the roof and puts it up to high. I'm going to try a few different mounting ideas but either way I think I will need to make what I need from scratch. I'm thinking some clamps, a plate to extend off the cage towards the front and a piece of all thread to protrude through the roof for mounting. Then paint it up so it looks ok. Windshield Motor vehicle Glass Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am not an electrician by any means, I am still looking for some clear directions on how to wire on of these up myself. From the beginning..........

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been told by several people who sell these lights that they actually have an internal relay, so a wiring harness with an external relay isn't necessary. Take it for what it's worth. I've always used an external harness with a 4 prong relay myself. I've got a 40" on the way from ******* Radios in Oklahoma, and he said it will be fine to wire it straight to hot like any other accessory, as long as you use a good weatherproof external fuse holder with a minimum 30 amp fuse in the hot wire. As for wiring up the relay, I'm sure there is somebody on here who speaks the electrician language and could tell you how to connect those dots. I'm not that person, as every bar I have installed up to this point has come with an external harness/relay setup.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Here is a front shot of it temporarily mounted. You can't tell but the LED is about 5" in front of the cages cross bar. You can't put it back any farther as it hits the raised areas in the roof and puts it up to high. I'm going to try a few different mounting ideas but either way I think I will need to make what I need from scratch. I'm thinking some clamps, a plate to extend off the cage towards the front and a piece of all thread to protrude through the roof for mounting. Then paint it up so it looks ok. View attachment 6536
I see what's going on. Wasn't sure which top you had. You will have to make some kind shim on each side to get it to work. Or make complete new brackets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the exact same roof and just bought light.Does the way you mounted it on top sturdy the roof seems a bit flimsy as it is ?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ya that's fine you can adjust for a 40 inch by using the top rail not the A pillars like in the photo. Using the A pillars is only for a 50 but if you use the top cross bar you can adust the brackets for a six inch up to a 40 inch.

Reactions: living da dream

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the exact same roof and just bought light.Does the way you mounted it on top sturdy the roof seems a bit flimsy as it is ?
I'm back to working with muffler clamps and long u-bolts. I need to do a bit of welding and I should be able to finish the job. I'll post pics when I'm done as long as it doesn't look to embarrassing lol The clamp shown above won't work on the cross bar. I have a windshield too. So the bracket can't stick through.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok...just ordered a 40" from Team FAS for my 2013. What's the word so far on installing these things? The muffler clamp seemes good facing forward across the cross bar. I have the OEM bimini top any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok...just ordered a 40" from Team FAS for my 2013. What's the word so far on installing these things? The muffler clamp seemes good facing forward across the cross bar. I have the OEM bimini top any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
This is how I mounted mine.
I drilled one hole in each angle bracing on the cage and used the holding brackets which came with the light.
Worked pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wish mine would have had that brace. That must be a new 2014 addition.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MiniFlex. Your idea looks similar to what I did. I actually drilled my hole for the wire in the exact same spot. I actually cut slots in the bracing to use Rigid tube clamps to mount my bar with. I am skeptical of the brackets included with the lights.. It wasn't too much of a chore. A little time consuming. You can't see that anything has been altered once the top got reinstalled and the light also hides it. Yours looks good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, I wired my 41.5" light bar up using a Team FAS switch and a 30 amp inline fuse, no relay, and it works perfect.

·
Registered
144 Posts
to miniflexalex

do you have a full windshield and if so - is there much reflection when you install?

I like your setup but I have windshield and I'm curious to know if light is ok behind this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
to miniflexalex

do you have a full windshield and if so - is there much reflection when you install?

I like your setup but I have windshield and I'm curious to know if light is ok behind this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 1/2 windshield and I would advice against installing the light at this location with a full windshield.

·
Registered
225 Posts
MiniFlex. Your idea looks similar to what I did. I actually drilled my hole for the wire in the exact same spot. I actually cut slots in the bracing to use Rigid tube clamps to mount my bar with. I am skeptical of the brackets included with the lights.. It wasn't too much of a chore. A little time consuming. You can't see that anything has been altered once the top got reinstalled and the light also hides it. Yours looks good.
I'm also not too impressed with the brackets which came with the light. The should be a bit more solid.
Anyhow, so far it's all good.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts