Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm an idiot who's learned a very expensive lesson about the importance of motor oils lol. I bought a 2015 XMR maverick. This thing is awesome, 6 kickers and an amp make up the roof, all the frilly light up stuff that doesnt need to be there, lightbar, winch, bracket lift, 34 in tires etc. So I'm as happy as a pig in mud for 4 days when the Mav broke down while in motion on the river. Replaced battery that day, test drive led to it moving about 20 ft before dying.... F**k.. so after tearing it down with a buddy we located the odd knocking on the lower end of the motor. Got the engine out and ripped it down. Connecting rod and bearings are shot on #2. I am gonna have it done by a well known shop in my area (Houston).

My question is, since I have it down to this level of disassembly what would you guys replace/upgrade? Obviously cost is gonna be high with just the engine rebuild but what would be wise to upgrade etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the time being my budget is tight, however I wanna do it right and not have to disassemble it to this level for some time. There are some normal things that need to be replaced like wheel bearings, obviously fluids all around, a slightly bent rear tie rod, single tire if not a full set. Already got the new belt, oils and some wiring materials since after getting wet the winch wanted to keep retrieving, a large gash in the intake pipes needs to be replaced and I'm sure I'll find more.

Since I'm running large tires I know I need a clutch upgrade but due to a motor rebuild (barely) I am just aiming to have it running again and save for more upgrades down the road.

I have considered a putting a turbo into it, just need to see how it's ran and sized and see if i can swing it. I will see the cost of all of the repairs and if its anywhere close to a new engine I'll do so OR drop a 'busa motor in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: After examining the motor internals I need rod bearings, new cylinders and pistons (plan on uping to 1040cc), timing chains, and possibly a new crank. I say possibly because I am unsure if this one is able to be machined. Has anyone ever had to get machine work on their crank before? Upsize bearings? Also, do the connecting rods split apart and is it supposed to be a smooth cut? mine split and are definitely not straight cuts. Any advice as to how to go forward with this rebuild is much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts