Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Maverick X3 XDS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. I just bought 32’ sodona tires on 5-2 raceline wheels Had 31 chacane. Took them out for a quick spin. Feel’s real heavy. Don’t know if I’ll get use to lt. but I guess I have to. I have a 2019 max DS 4 seater. MY CAR BEFORE WAS FAST N RESPONSIVE. ANY1 out there. Regret going bigger On tires

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Ok. I just bought 32’ sodona tires on 5-2 raceline wheels Had 31 chacane. Took them out for a quick spin. Feel’s real heavy. Don’t know if I’ll get use to lt. but I guess I have to. I have a 2019 max DS 4 seater. MY CAR BEFORE WAS FAST N RESPONSIVE. ANY1 out there. Regret going bigger On tires
Totally confused
32' tires

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 DS
147 Posts
Do you have any type of clutching done? Doing this might fix the fast and responsive issue. If the machine feels heavy to you, your clutches are 100% feeling that as well.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
A little more information please. Did you go from a stock wheel and offset to the 5/2 aftermarket wheel? What was the weight difference between the wheels you had before and the new wheels? What is the weight difference between the tires you had before and the tires you are currently running? What was the stock tire on the car when new? All of there factors should be considered when making changes to suspension geometry. Likely you are feeling the effects of “scrub radius” as well as a significant weight change with your new tire / wheel setup. Unfortunately you can’t easily fix the geometry but if the car has a noticeable power issue with the new setup, that can be corrected with clutch work.

There are a few good threads on here that explain scrub radius that would be worth your time researching.

·
Premium Member
14,111 Posts
It's the tires! Sedona tires are very, very heavy. You probably should have asked on here. 32s are fine, but you need a much lighter tire.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
319 Posts
An increase from 31" to 32" tires is only a bit over 3% difference as far as the affect it has on mechanical advantage, RPM, and speed. Not enough that you should "feel" a difference in performance. Not sure what exactly you mean by fast and responsive, are you referring to acceleration? You can't feel 3% difference in acceleration.

But as Hollywood said, heavier tire and wheel combos absolutely can make a difference that you can feel. So don't blame a 1" taller tire, a 1/2" increase in radius is not something you can feel. But using heavy cast wheels and heavy thick sidewall tires can add several pounds of inertia that can make a car feel sluggish in handling and acceleration.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
An increase from 31" to 32" tires is only a bit over 3% difference as far as the affect it has on mechanical advantage, RPM, and speed. Not enough that you should "feel" a difference in performance. Not sure what exactly you mean by fast and responsive, are you referring to acceleration? You can't feel 3% difference in acceleration.

But as Hollywood said, heavier tire and wheel combos absolutely can make a difference that you can feel. So don't blame a 1" taller tire, a 1/2" increase in radius is not something you can feel. But using heavy cast wheels and heavy thick sidewall tires can add several pounds of inertia that can make a car feel sluggish in handling and acceleration.
well said !.......its all about the weight. A 33 inch lighter tire will bring back the performance you lost with the heavy Sedona 32 :) lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can feel my tensor regulators vs the carnivores I took off. I read the tensors were 40lbs, not 44 which they are and I can feel it. Idk if I'm going to keep them or not

·
Registered
Maverick X3 XDS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lowered air pressure. Fixed the problem. Looks good n rides even better

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can feel my tensor regulators vs the carnivores I took off. I read the tensors were 40lbs, not 44 which they are and I can feel it. Idk if I'm going to keep them or not
I had the Kanati Terramasters on my Talon. When you only have 100 Hp lighter on rotating mass is a major consideration and they were one of the lightest 32” I could find. I have Carnivores on now and everything about the Terrramasters was better except you could feel the stiffer sidewall. They have more of a buggy rounded profile and are soft, fast wearing. Carnivores give a little softer ride at about the same weight but have weak sidewalls. I wouldn’t buy them again. Tensor is the official desert shoe but if you haven’t tried the TM’s they are great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts