Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of going with bigger tires on my 13 XRS.

For those of you running 30" Mongrels, do you have tire rubbing issues? if so, were you able to address the issues by trimming some of the fenders out? I live out west and do most of my riding in the desert and mountains. Occasionally, I get out in the mud but not often. For those with experience, are the mongrels terrible in mud? How about in 12" of snow?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have 30" mongrels but no experience in the mud/snow. I would expect the bighorns would do better in the mud by the tread design. I love my mongrels & have performed awesome for the riding we do, rocks/mountain trails & desert. They do rub the front portion of the rear fenders when the suspension is fully compressed.

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
Both tires will rub the headlight area and also the front of the rear fenders. The rear can be trimmed. The front doesn't rub nearly as often but it will rub. Mongrels measure a true 30 and bighorns measure around a 29. I ran the bighorns and loved them but I wish the sidewall was a little stronger. Being out west I think the Mongrel will be a better fit and hold up better in the rocks

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm thinking about going with 28" mongrels or big horns. I mostly ride the dunes and not sure that paddles are worth the money since sometimes I have to drive down the pavement to get to the dunes. I also ride in the mountains where it's a little rocky. Just don't know what tire will suit me best. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd just keep the stock but I don't like how soft the big horn 2.0's are. Not very tough tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
No experience with mongrels but I did have the Goodyear rawhide (same tread design) on my sportsman 800 and they SUCK in the snow. Stock pxt tires were better. Bighorns are a great all around tire

·
Registered
665 Posts
Bighorns are very good in the sand. I also have mongrels. I haven't run them in the sand but I doubt they will do near as good as the bighorns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some Mongrels headed my way. I have heard they do great in the sand. The issue with mud is that the tread on the Mongrels don't clean the mud out very well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Both tires will rub the headlight area and also the front of the rear fenders. The rear can be trimmed. The front doesn't rub nearly as often but it will rub. Mongrels measure a true 30 and bighorns measure around a 29. I ran the bighorns and loved them but I wish the sidewall was a little stronger. Being out west I think the Mongrel will be a better fit and hold up better in the rocks
AREED I have 30" Moto Claws, Best tires I have ever had by the way, and I dont get any rubbing. Not even close. They measure 29.5" with 15 lbs of air.

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
You must not be driving hard enough haha. My first time off I ripped the plastic off around the headlights and did some trail trimming with the rear fender and the bighorns are smaller than the moto claws. We were racing and beating on it pretty hard so that has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have 30 bighorns which measure about 29 and the rear rubs the fender if you jump it to hard never hit the front yet. Love the tires seem to do great in about any condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have 30 bighorns which measure about 29 and the rear rubs the fender if you jump it to hard never hit the front yet. Love the tires seem to do great in about any condition.
got any pics? thinking of going this way. they on stock wheel

·
Registered
254 Posts
C
ant go wrong great tire. Here is a pic from back when mounted them, of the stock 27 vs the 30. Glad I went this way...30 10 14 bighorn mounted on ITP SS 212 14x8 5+3 offset all the way around.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

30 in Mongels, so far so good, but haven't really tested them yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just put 30" bighorns on mine, what psi are you running them at?
I run between 8 and 10 psi for added traction. If you run a lot of high speed trails you might want to run more to keep from rolling a tire in a hard corner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Wheel clearance

Alex, is there a real problem with the 12'' stock wheels picking up small rocks and getting cought between the wheel and caliper ? shoe
Sorry about the hijack.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts