Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is most of your riding done in 2 or 4 wheel drive? My old rhino
Was only good in 4WD.. Playing around in high 2WD was just asking
For a broken axle. Is my new Mav gonna be ok? Has anyone broken an axle yet?

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
4wd all the time in the dunes. Have not heard of any mavericks breaking axles.

My old rhino with lsr +3 kit never broke axles in 2wd. She was 1700#'s also.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I always used 2 wheel drive in my Rhino. It felt better and it didn't have enough power to spin 2 more wheels. The Maverick pulls alot harder in 4 wheel. It also still steers easy. So I've been using 4 wheel alot. I've been playing with 2 wheel a little bit. I like it too, but it sure does spin the back wheels alot!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
u guys are talking about 4wd in the dunes right , not normal desert driving ,

·
Registered
35 Posts
on the east coast Mav's are fine in 2WD, I've spent 300+ miles in 2wd with 0 issues. I ususally only use 4wd for rock crawling, very steep hills and deep mud.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
I use 4wd only (desert/dunes) except if I'm the road

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just dont want any failures from over abuse or being ignorant. that stupid Yamaha cost me at least a hundred EVERY time i cranked it...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I run 2wd about 98% of the time, but I never ride in sand and almost never mud. Only use 4wd for crawling. No axle problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I raced GNCC, a lot of the time the condition's depended on whether I was in 4x4. If it was really muddy or slick we always ran in 4x4, if it was really dry 2wd. Its all preference. Driving in 2wd isn't going to cause damage though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
im 2wd 95% time to , dont need 4x4 with 101 hp , lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've never heard anyone ask if it's ok to ride in 2wd & would have guessed it's easier on parts. I figured most rode in 2wd 90% of the time till a major hill, mud or obstacle. Also, I had a rhino with nearly 5k miles on it and that SOB might have been a turd, but it was extremely dependable.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine was a big ol' Lemmon I guess! Hated
The lack of reliability so I signed up for the Maverick
I bought one of the first renegades and it was
One of The nicest things I'd ever had, cranked and ran
Flawlessly, almost 1000 miles. I'm expecting the same
Quality here

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I also drive mine 90% of the time in 4wd in the desert and dunes just because it tracks way better. ie not much rear end drift. High speed trail riding it has much better handling in 4wd. 2wd only when on flat ground and there is no hills or climbing. ie a gravel road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts