Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got the Mongrels today. I see a lot of thread asking about the Mongrels so here is a short comparison. Almost went with 30's but didn't want the extra rotating mass.

28x10x14 Mongrels on Sti hd beadlocks with 5+2 offset
Combo is 44lbs each. (Stock front is 27, rear is 35)

The Bighorn with 15psi measured 26.5" and the Mongrels were 27.25".

Side to side visual comparison. Keep in mind my tires are all 27x9x12 Bighorns on all 4 corners.

New width is 2.5" wider (stock is 66 and now 68.5)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does if feel slower?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not sure what kind of terrain you ride in those tires do good on rocks and hard packed. Absolutely suck on the mud!! Will not shed the mud.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes all the reviews I read were that they are terrible in mud. They are supposed to wear excellent and preform great at high speed desert terrain. I personally avoid mud so no worries there lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
they look good. btw what doors are those?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you actually tried these in mud? If so what form? IE clay or dirt? The tread looks similiar to that of GoodYear M/T.
Am seriously lookin at these for trails here in WV, Hatfield / McCoy trails.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have you actually tried these in mud? If so what form? IE clay or dirt? The tread looks similiar to that of GoodYear M/T.
I have not had a chance to try them at all. My first ride with them will be Friday. I'm in CA and usually I avoid mud whenever possible.

Before buying these I found a few threads on other forums reviewing the tires. The one thing that seemedcommon between the reviews was that they were terrible in mud.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just got the Mongrels today. I see a lot of thread asking about the Mongrels so here is a short comparison. Almost went with 30's but didn't want the extra rotating mass.

28x10x14 Mongrels on Sti hd beadlocks with 5+2 offset

The Bighorn with 15psi measured 26.5" and the Mongrels were 27.25".

Side to side visual comparison. Keep in mind my tires are all 27x9x12 Bighorns on all 4 corners.

Give me 12 hours and I will let you know. I have this exact setup and am going for a 30 mile rip in the morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
446 Posts
They are horrible in the mud!! Really good in hard pack and rocks. Can't answer sandy conditions cause not much sand in WV. Lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock front combo is 27lbs

Stock rear was 35lbs according to ups

And Mongrels and sti's are 44lbs each! Quite a bit heavier.

·
Registered
156 Posts
better made tires will be heavier.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also my width for this combo has gone from 66" wide to 68.5". I'm lowered a couple inches which is why my stock width is 66".

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got back from a trip where the terrain was a mix of sand and desert. In the sand, the Mongrels seemed to do as good if not better then the Bighorns. I only aired down to about 8psi and I was still easily able to get traction (although the sand was a bit moist). On the front, the tires seemed to hook up much better. I had them set at 15psi and I didn't notice nearly as much pushing through the turns.

High speed in the sand, the front end did seem to float around a little more then I expected. Going through the whoops at full speed did seem much more manageable to change directions though.

Power wise, I might have noticed a very slight difference with the larger and heavier Mongrels, but very little.

Overall in the terrain I was in (75% sand/25%desert) they seemed to perform well.

I will be updating this thread as I try different terrains. Next should be 100% desert, or maybe the Lake Elsinore UTV track.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts