Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I guess but with the isolator the two batteries are separated when the key is off.the bad thing is I dont know how I would know one of the batteries was bad unless I checked then regularly.

i just ran a nice switch toggle rocker whatever, between the red from battery to battery only flip switch on while riding and to trickle charge 2nd battery , then when parked flip switch off, no drain , and wire ur acc, off 2nd if u want and u can play radio from that battery with switch off and not drain the main one,

also u can run a volt gauge to each battery

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm running an ssv overhead radio in my maverick and just purchased a 24" led light bar should I install a second battery?
No your fine your not pulling much IMO, but when i run my light bar i dont run headlights.

If you dont have amps with subs and what not i think you are fine i havent had any issues with the stock system and i have more than you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess in a racing application where your willing to fry your starter for that addition second of advantage this may make sense.
I would not advise this to anyone who doesn't completely understand that YOU WILL FRY YOUR STARTER at some point doing this.
I remember dad's draining the oil out of the B&S engines that powered their kids carts to get an advantage at the track - sure it distroyed the engine, but winning the race seemed worth it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've also seen the b&s oil drained. In racing it's all about time and if it saves a second then go for it. We've jumped off some of our dozers (12 volt) off of our excavators which were 24 volt systems .. Starter spun like heck but it got my guys working. The problem would be to keep 24v away from ECM and electronics which would need a diode .I wouldn't want to do it every day though. The starter does sound kind of weak on my Mav.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts