Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just spent a weekend in Georgia at the first UTV race for the GNCC. I learned all kinds of interesting information about clutches and starting systems for the Mavericks. Some of the guys had 24V setups on there Mavericks. All they were doing was adding another battery to starter. I will say that the motors crank over alot better. They are just piggy backing another battery on the starter. There is only one battery on the charging system otherwise it will back feed the electrical system. The guy that I talked to said that he just puts a trickle charger on the battery when he isn't using it. I will repost on my clutch findings in another thread. Please let me here your feedback. Thanks

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
sounds suspicious to me unless they had a diode in line. DC volts will go both ways if not stopped

·
Registered
461 Posts
Were they just adding another battery or actually running 24v to the starter?
I was thinking the same thing... wouldn't it still be 12v? And all your doing by adding the second battery is adding capacity?

We install UPS battery cabinets in the data centers I work in. All your doing by adding a longer string of batteries is increasing the amount of time that your critical load can be supported. It doesn't affect the voltage. I don't know much about DC, it may be different or depend how you wire it...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Depends if he wired it in series or parallel.. when someone says I just "added a battery" that is only half the story... If he went with Parallel then all he did was increase his cranking amps and run time for electronics(Amp Hours).. series adds 12 more volts but nothing to the AMP Hours.. If he went series I think 24 volts is a bad idea... However a 14.4 volt burst seems that it would be OK...

Myron

·
Registered
128 Posts
since starting is only a problem once the starter is fukked adding more batteries isnt going to help anything :wink:

adding extra batteries is usually for accessories

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They were just adding the second battery in series to and hitting the starter with 24V's. It just helps the Mav start faster. In GNCC they do a dead engine start. I'm just telling you all what I saw. Food for thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They were just adding the second battery in series to and hitting the starter with 24V's. It just helps the Mav start faster. In GNCC they do a dead engine start. I'm just telling you all what I saw. Food for thought.
so the racers do it for faster starts? why would we need to take the risk of burning everything up for faster starts if we aint racing?

just curious

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The way it's done, is the wire from the solenoid goes to the negative terminal of the battery, then the positive continues on to the starter. When the solenoid closes, power is sent thru the extra battery, then the starter sees 24V. This is why it needs to be trickle charged, since it won't charge wired like this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You cant keep putting 24v to the starter though because its 12v. Over time it will burn fields out of it. Unless they r just using the other battery as an extra like was said above and not hooking them together to make 24v.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
The way it's done, is the wire from the solenoid goes to the negative terminal of the battery, then the positive continues on to the starter. When the solenoid closes, power is sent thru the extra battery, then the starter sees 24V. This is why it needs to be trickle charged, since it won't charge wired like this.

now that makes sense to me. i wonder if a 6 volt battery would be better than 12v?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm running two batteries. I have them wired to a isolator that connects them when the key is turned on. It is still 12v but it does spin the starter faster.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You could also get the mav to crank the engine over faster by changing starters. Find one that has the same mount and, armature but has a larger field case (center part of the starter) this will give you more cranking power without hooking up another battery. It gives more cranking power or kw's.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Because you r still geting 12v but with your batteries connected together you r getting more cranking amps.
That is correct. Also having the second battery gives you a back up if the first battery had a problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
or a bad battery to drag the other one down.
I guess but with the isolator the two batteries are separated when the key is off.the bad thing is I dont know how I would know one of the batteries was bad unless I checked then regularly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts