Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2022 X3 XRS RR SS
1,016 Posts
Quick update - now that I have a few more rides on it the break-in lessens the issue but is still intermittently there overall depending on how hot (slow) you are riding. I can say the suggestion to leave in eco mode does solve the issue. I rode Rimrock in WA all weekend which is probably the tightest ugliest and most difficult terrain WA has to offer and no problems if left in Eco. Ultimately, the 100rpm or so difference from the idle dropping allows the primary to fully disengage. So, what that tells me it's definitely not a belt alignment issue and the "FLOAT" mod wont do sh!t to fix that. Clearly, a weight and engagement issue being the ultimate culprit. I suspect that's why the people that have swapped to EVP or KWI weights don't report the issue anymore but ones with stock primary P-drive still do.
I am not having the issue after a few hundred miles. We were out this weekend and I had no trouble shifting from low to high, forward to reverse etc on steep grades after stopping. This thread had me paying attention. There’s obviously some loading when placing in park on a hill that is to be expected but nothing that made the car hard to shift and the belt engagement in neutral or park has completely gone away. I plan to check my belt for wear soon and will let you know.
I would like to get over to Rim Rock and Beverly. What’s your thoughts on how much time before they get too much snow?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not having the issue after a few hundred miles. We were out this weekend and I had no trouble shifting from low to high, forward to reverse etc on steep grades after stopping. This thread had me paying attention. There’s obviously some loading when placing in park on a hill that is to be expected but nothing that made the car hard to shift and the belt engagement in neutral or park has completely gone away. I plan to check my belt for wear soon and will let you know.
I would like to get over to Rim Rock and Beverly. What’s your thoughts on how much time before they get too much snow?
Starting to wonder if it's belt related too. I read the newer RR have a new compound on the belt that is stickier and slightly different. I definitely noticed after about 150-200 miles its much better even as you said on steep inclines. Before, it wouldn't even shift just sitting on flat ground in my drive way now it's fairly mild.

Rimrock depending on your direction your traveling is pretty much no-go after Nov. way too much snow and way too sketchy. Don't recall the actual closure dates but part of the pass closes then anyways and so does the riding area. I HIGHLY recommend getting the UTV WA guide book if going, there are some double black diamond trails that are very easy to get stuck on and no way to turn back. Many people have died out there rolling off a cliff. Definitely, lots of fun trails but also ones that would make you rethink life as a whole.

Beverly you can ride almost all year round and they don't get much snow at all and even if they do it's not much. Easy place to get bored at after couple hours as it's pretty small but definitely worth going during the winter to scratch the riding itch. Colockum and Whisky Dick is a another fun spot to go that generally is open most of the winter and they get lots of snow to play with.

·
Registered
2022 X3 XRS RR SS
1,016 Posts
Starting to wonder if it's belt related too. I read the newer RR have a new compound on the belt that is stickier and slightly different. I definitely noticed after about 150-200 miles its much better even as you said on steep inclines. Before, it wouldn't even shift just sitting on flat ground in my drive way now it's fairly mild.

Rimrock depending on your direction your traveling is pretty much no-go after Nov. way too much snow and way too sketchy. Don't recall the actual closure dates but part of the pass closes then anyways and so does the riding area. I HIGHLY recommend getting the UTV WA guide book if going, there are some double black diamond trails that are very easy to get stuck on and no way to turn back. Many people have died out there rolling off a cliff. Definitely, lots of fun trails but also ones that would make you rethink life as a whole.

Beverly you can ride almost all year round and they don't get much snow at all and even if they do it's not much. Easy place to get bored at after couple hours as it's pretty small but definitely worth going during the winter to scratch the riding itch. Colockum and Whisky Dick is a another fun spot to go that generally is open most of the winter and they get lots of snow to play with.
Thanks, I meant Liberty and typed Beverly. I’ve been there and you’re right, pretty boring. I have the WA UTV book and have downloaded the maps. I use gaja and it makes it much more enjoyable to have the overlays. We ride Evans creek a lot and it has some cliff trails that are kinda sketchy. Not interested in dying to ride a trail but we do like tough trails.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, I meant Liberty and typed Beverly. I’ve been there and you’re right, pretty boring. I have the WA UTV book and have downloaded the maps. I use gaja and it makes it much more enjoyable to have the overlays. We ride Evans creek a lot and it has some cliff trails that are kinda sketchy. Not interested in dying to ride a trail but we do like tough trails.
Liberty is awesome and probably my favorite spot outside of Conconully. Rimrock is like Liberty but with the dial turned to 12 :)

·
Registered
2018 x3 XMR Turbo
84 Posts
I experience this once in a while and noticed my idle rpm at 1550 when it's happening but did not take note of what it's at when not happening. Since it happens sporadically, I can't imagine it's a change with the primary spring although a tired spring would compress easier. Those who are experiencing the secondary turning at idle, what are your rpm's at?

·
Registered
2022 X3 XRS RR SS
1,016 Posts
Liberty is awesome and probably my favorite spot outside of Conconully. Rimrock is like Liberty but with the dial turned to 12 :)
We spent a week in Conconully in July. Absolutely loved it. Lots of different options and conditions. Some cliff stuff there too. We stayed at Shady Pines. It was so cool going from camp, to trails, to the store and bar all in the buggy. We’ll check Rimrock but might need to be in the spring.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I experience this once in a while and noticed my idle rpm at 1550 when it's happening but did not take note of what it's at when not happening. Since it happens sporadically, I can't imagine it's a change with the primary spring although a tired spring would compress easier. Those who are experiencing the secondary turning at idle, what are your rpm's at?
1500 rpm in Sport and 1450 in eco. It is better in eco but still turns. Even though the rpms are the same, hot or cold, the clutch only turns when the engine warms up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1500 rpm in Sport and 1450 in eco. It is better in eco but still turns. Even though the rpms are the same, hot or cold, the clutch only turns when the engine warms up.
Same wirh my 2022 xrs. Only when the belt temp is up around 100 or higher. Fine when colder. Had KWI do the float mod after the first trip out. Took it out for the second time still doing the same thing spinning the secondary. I usually have to shut it off to put in gear then fire it back up to shift. Sent it back to KWI they put it on there car and said they couldn't duplicate it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Same wirh my 2022 xrs. Only when the belt temp is up around 100 or higher. Fine when colder. Had KWI do the float mod after the first trip out. Took it out for the second time still doing the same thing spinning the secondary. I usually have to shut it off to put in gear then fire it back up to shift. Sent it back to KWI they put it on there car and said they couldn't duplicate it.
I have the float mod on my 2018 XDS and I understand what it does. I don't believe it is an alignment issue. I believe the outer sheave is moving toward the belt at too low of rpms. The BRP bulletin on the subject indicates that the problem is the weights and spring seat. It is a calibration issue that the new parts should fix. My dealer has the parts ordered for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
KWI customer service will be hit or miss unless you talk to Kris, no two ways around that. I posted the TST number a page or so earlier for people to reference. I have the parts on order myself but just a quick PSA don't plan on them arriving quickly. The spring seat is (was) on backorder for sometime.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just wanted to give my experience for anyone looking at a Pdrive upgrade. My car is a 2020 X3 RR RC. I purchased the Pdrive with float mod from KWI and had this same issue immediately after install. After working with Carissa at KWI, which has been easy dealing with their tech support - no complaints, it sounds like this is a known problem that Canam knows about.... like others have stated online. My secondary engaged so hard I couldn't shift with the Pdrive installed. Alignment was center, bearing free and spinning as should........ I put my original Primary back in and the problem was resolved. Pdrive sent back to KWI and awaiting to see what they find.

Also, just a heads up, if you do decide to upgrade (has been a downgrade so far :rolleyes:) a new outer cover is needed for correct airflow per KWI. See pic, bottom is 2020 cover, top is new cover for Pdrive.

Here is with Pdrive and secondary engaging during idle https://youtu.be/cKxCJrwenqQ

Here is with original Primary installed and secondary not spinning. https://youtu.be/qzR23Z0ISOQ

View attachment 284457 View attachment 284458
Can you share the part # of the P cover? I looked at partzilla and from 2020 to 22 all RR have same part numbers and definitely the bottom pic is what on mine and the top one looks like Turbo R cover

·
Registered
78 Posts
For the record my 22 sometimes will spin and sometimes it does not, one thing I have noticed is that it’s completely random, my buddies acts identical and it’s the same car as mine. I just shift it quickly, I’ve got 1900 miles and it hasn’t gotten worse or better, 3 Oem belts have been changed at 800 mile intervals for preventative reasons, never shredded one, also I have checked the primary bearing for any issues and it rolls smoothly with no interference. I have not checked alignment.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
For the record my 22 sometimes will spin and sometimes it does not, one thing I have noticed is that it’s completely random, my buddies acts identical and it’s the same car as mine. I just shift it quickly, I’ve got 1900 miles and it hasn’t gotten worse or better, 3 Oem belts have been changed at 800 mile intervals for preventative reasons, never shredded one, also I have checked the primary bearing for any issues and it rolls smoothly with no interference. I have not checked alignment.
It’s the weight profile. The factory has a bulletin out for it and new weights. Sounds they are hard to get but I have seen people get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Don’t really think you notice an engagement change but it lets it disengage all way so it doesn’t pull the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
I haven't been on the forums in quite a while, but have to say, I've had the same issue since putting this clutch on my 2017. I just thought it was because I put the pdrive on an older X3 and that's why. But the same, only when hot and I just start it in gear and it's fine. I thought it might be that I over torqued it a little but haven't really cared enough to mess with it for months. I'll have to look into the correct weights then and probably need lighter ones anyway for my altitude and HP level. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I’ve been following this thread closely, especially since my new 2022 is almost ready for it’s first break-in ride. If anyone knows or can post the actual factory bulletin for the weights or the part numbers I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve been following this thread closely, especially since my new 2022 is almost ready for it’s first break-in ride. If anyone knows or can post the actual factory bulletin for the weights or the part numbers I would greatly appreciate it.
The TST is 140256 which consists of two parts:

3X 420248735 Roller Lever Assy
1X 420427801 Spring Support

Last I checked those PN are still BRP internal and don't share up anywhere online. The service dept. will need to reference that TST to find those PN and order. They can take awhile to get, mine was about 3 weeks or so to come in and I was originally told back ordered for months.

81 - 100 of 142 Posts