Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I'm curious how the P-Drive will match up to an earlier with a KWI reworked kit, sheaves, adjsutable magnet weights with float over all.
I've just been so happy with mine ever since and we ride hard in the steep soft dunes and rally the Coast Guard roads.
600 miles so far.... vs the every 100 mile blown belt change before.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm curious how the P-Drive will match up to an earlier with a KWI reworked kit, sheaves, adjsutable magnet weights with float over all.
I've just been so happy with mine ever since and we ride hard in the steep soft dunes and rally the Coast Guard roads.
600 miles so far.... vs the every 100 mile blown belt change before.
I have both, now. My KWI Float mod clutches have been near perfect. I have about 6000 miles of fast trail riding and ice racing on it and the sheaves still look like new. There is no visible wear on any of the surfaces. I have never blown a belt. I did replace the WKP secondary rollers after 4000 miles with another set and a billet helix. I service it quite often and replaced all the sliders recently. The primary bearing is original. 12,500 miles total on the clutches.

The most noticeable differences are the engagement rpms. The KWI is about 2200. The p drive engages just off idle and is very smooth. The biggest difference is throttle response after hard braking. With the older clutch there is a delay when applying throttle. With the p drive the response is instant. That is a big plus. As far as being quieter the p drive does not rattle but it has a loud whine on decleration that the older clutch does not have.

Time will tell but I think the p drive is an improvement. It should last a long time since every thing moves on rollers instead of sliders.

·
Administrator
4,904 Posts
I have both, now. My KWI Float mod clutches have been near perfect. I have about 6000 miles of fast trail riding and ice racing on it and the sheaves still look like new. There is no visible wear on any of the surfaces. I have never blown a belt. I did replace the WKP secondary rollers after 4000 miles with another set and a billet helix. I service it quite often and replaced all the sliders recently. The primary bearing is original. 12,500 miles total on the clutches.

The most noticeable differences are the engagement rpms. The KWI is about 2200. The p drive engages just off idle and is very smooth. The biggest difference is throttle response after hard braking. With the older clutch there is a delay when applying throttle. With the p drive the response is instant. That is a big plus. As far as being quieter the p drive does not rattle but it has a loud whine on decleration that the older clutch does not have.

Time will tell but I think the p drive is an improvement. It should last a long time since every thing moves on rollers instead of sliders.
Great to hear...sounds like the worst PDrive stories have been when some miles get racked up, they may start dragging on the belt a bit, and speculation is a slight weight adjustment should fix it.

We have the PDrive with the KWI adjustable weight kit....set up per request for between 33-35" tires, billet helix on the float mod secondary. So far, a whopping 3 miles have amassed and it is quiet, has smooth starts, easy shifting, blah.blah.blah. Can't wait to leave Whore.egon and put on another 3 miles of testing!..

·
Registered
708 Posts
Great to hear...sounds like the worst PDrive stories have been when some miles get racked up, they may start dragging on the belt a bit, and speculation is a slight weight adjustment should fix it.

We have the PDrive with the KWI adjustable weight kit....set up per request for between 33-35" tires, billet helix on the float mod secondary. So far, a whopping 3 miles have amassed and it is quiet, has smooth starts, easy shifting, blah.blah.blah. Can't wait to leave Whore.egon and put on another 3 miles of testing!..
You should have great results for a long time with the KWI setup. I may do that eventually. Hoping I can get by with the updated weights for now. I spent enough money for awhile. 😩😎

·
Registered
145 Posts
So 22 XRC-RR here and same issues within first 20 miles. It was stuck in gear so bad couldn't get it out of H no matter what. Eventually it cooled down and it clunked into Reverse to turn around on a trail. Took it out and gave it a really good run for 30-40 miles and it's better but seems to get worse in slow riding where temps creep up.

Called the dealer and they are aware of it. As mentioned, there is a TST out which is 140256 which includes new roller weights and spring cup. From some online FB groups that seems to fix the issue although some reported lower overall RPM afterwards. I've had the above TST parts ordered along with an adjustable EVP helix to bring the RPMS back to where they should be. I can say I'm not very happy overall BUT the benefits of the P-Drive are extremely noticeable coming from a 2020. MUCH smoother engagement and better response overall. If that TST is the easy fix I can't perceive too many drawbacks going forward.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So 22 XRC-RR here and same issues within first 20 miles. It was stuck in gear so bad couldn't get it out of H no matter what. Eventually it cooled down and it clunked into Reverse to turn around on a trail. Took it out and gave it a really good run for 30-40 miles and it's better but seems to get worse in slow riding where temps creep up.

Called the dealer and they are aware of it. As mentioned, there is a TST out which is 140256 which includes new roller weights and spring cup. From some online FB groups that seems to fix the issue although some reported lower overall RPM afterwards. I've had the above TST parts ordered along with an adjustable EVP helix to bring the RPMS back to where they should be. I can say I'm not very happy overall BUT the benefits of the P-Drive are extremely noticeable coming from a 2020. MUCH smoother engagement and better response overall. If that TST is the easy fix I can't perceive too many drawbacks going forward.
Bah,you should went with kwi aop1 kit for full adjustment.so far i love it

·
Administrator
4,904 Posts
We finally got to stretch the X3's legs today for a 12 mile stage 1 belt-breakin run....clutches are very smooth on takeoff as they should be.

In today's testings, when stopping on an uphill and coming to a complete stop and then trying to shift from D or L to N, it still hangs up like old setup. But if shifted anytime before complete dead stop uphill, shifts out of D or L like butter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We finally got to stretch the X3's legs today for a 12 mile stage 1 belt-breakin run....clutches are very smooth on takeoff as they should be.

In today's testings, when stopping on an uphill and coming to a complete stop and then trying to shift from D or L to N, it still hangs up like old setup. But if shifted anytime before complete dead stop uphill, shifts out of D or L like butter.
When you go to stop in a Hill, 1" that moves to opposite direction will put the drivetrain under load,same as taking from park on a hill.nothing to do with clutch.

·
Administrator
4,904 Posts
When you go to stop in a Hill, 1" that moves to opposite direction will put the drivetrain under load,same as taking from park on a hill.nothing to do with clutch.
I understand what your saying in load on the drivetrain is the culprit.

I made my comment only for members who do this swap and expecting their new clutches to alleviate that issue...that the issue will not change. Maybe quell some KWI complaints before they get started.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bah,you should went with kwi aop1 kit for full adjustment.so far i love it
Honestly, I was going to go that route but KWI customer support has always left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to derail the thread but when you can't get ahold of Kris and the other people have nearly zero knowledge of how the P-Drive works or potentially current issues with them it doesn't give a ton of confidence. Continuing to push selling the "float mod" while I'm asking about P-Drive weights, engagement RPM and setup, and tool needed for the swap isn't helpful. Seems the need to sell $1,500 in parts outweighs simple questions. Glad you are happy with your AOP1 kit, it does look rather nice.

·
Registered
2020 X3 RR RC
1 Posts
Honestly, I was going to go that route but KWI customer support has always left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to derail the thread but when you can't get ahold of Kris and the other people have nearly zero knowledge of how the P-Drive works or potentially current issues with them it doesn't give a ton of confidence. Continuing to push selling the "float mod" while I'm asking about P-Drive weights, engagement RPM and setup, and tool needed for the swap isn't helpful. Seems the need to sell $1,500 in parts outweighs simple questions. Glad you are happy with your AOP1 kit, it does look rather nice.
Just wanted to give my experience for anyone looking at a Pdrive upgrade. My car is a 2020 X3 RR RC. I purchased the Pdrive with float mod from KWI and had this same issue immediately after install. After working with Carissa at KWI, which has been easy dealing with their tech support - no complaints, it sounds like this is a known problem that Canam knows about.... like others have stated online. My secondary engaged so hard I couldn't shift with the Pdrive installed. Alignment was center, bearing free and spinning as should........ I put my original Primary back in and the problem was resolved. Pdrive sent back to KWI and awaiting to see what they find.

Also, just a heads up, if you do decide to upgrade (has been a downgrade so far :rolleyes:) a new outer cover is needed for correct airflow per KWI. See pic, bottom is 2020 cover, top is new cover for Pdrive.

Here is with Pdrive and secondary engaging during idle https://youtu.be/cKxCJrwenqQ

Here is with original Primary installed and secondary not spinning. https://youtu.be/qzR23Z0ISOQ

Stairs Wood Rectangle Parallel Tints and shades
Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Synthetic rubber Automotive lighting

Does anybody have a fix for the spinning secondary issue on the P-Drive equipped 2022's? Just picked mine up w/3 miles and the secondary is spinning in park and howling. Once moving it's fine. Seeing if anybody has a fix for this yet? I've seen this being an issue on the FB forums on roughly 2/3 of the 2022 X3's w/the P-Drive Primary.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I wonder if you would have had as many issues with a factory P drive instead of an aftermarket modified one?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
they are not really modified pdrive, just non oem parts
only the kwi tapp is a truly modified clutch

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Everyone calling it a float mod made me think it was a modification.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
now the float mod is just that, modified oem
the pdrive is only re-surfaced because he says they are not good...lol

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Everyone calling it a float mod made me think it was a modification.
Float MOD is on the secondary. My PDIVE from KWI with secondary upgraded with Float MOD and Big rollers works great. Very smooth and quiet.
Automotive lighting White Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to give my experience for anyone looking at a Pdrive upgrade. My car is a 2020 X3 RR RC. I purchased the Pdrive with float mod from KWI and had this same issue immediately after install. After working with Carissa at KWI, which has been easy dealing with their tech support - no complaints, it sounds like this is a known problem that Canam knows about.... like others have stated online. My secondary engaged so hard I couldn't shift with the Pdrive installed. Alignment was center, bearing free and spinning as should........ I put my original Primary back in and the problem was resolved. Pdrive sent back to KWI and awaiting to see what they find.

Also, just a heads up, if you do decide to upgrade (has been a downgrade so far :rolleyes:) a new outer cover is needed for correct airflow per KWI. See pic, bottom is 2020 cover, top is new cover for Pdrive.

Here is with Pdrive and secondary engaging during idle https://youtu.be/cKxCJrwenqQ

Here is with original Primary installed and secondary not spinning. https://youtu.be/qzR23Z0ISOQ

View attachment 284457 View attachment 284458
Did KWI fix the problems?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quick update - now that I have a few more rides on it the break-in lessens the issue but is still intermittently there overall depending on how hot (slow) you are riding. I can say the suggestion to leave in eco mode does solve the issue. I rode Rimrock in WA all weekend which is probably the tightest ugliest and most difficult terrain WA has to offer and no problems if left in Eco. Ultimately, the 100rpm or so difference from the idle dropping allows the primary to fully disengage. So, what that tells me it's definitely not a belt alignment issue and the "FLOAT" mod wont do sh!t to fix that. Clearly, a weight and engagement issue being the ultimate culprit. I suspect that's why the people that have swapped to EVP or KWI weights don't report the issue anymore but ones with stock primary P-drive still do.

61 - 80 of 142 Posts