Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a fix for the spinning secondary issue on the P-Drive equipped 2022's? Just picked mine up w/3 miles and the secondary is spinning in park and howling. Once moving it's fine. Seeing if anybody has a fix for this yet? I've seen this being an issue on the FB forums on roughly 2/3 of the 2022 X3's w/the P-Drive Primary.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
1,456 Posts
Run it hard and get a few heat cycles on the belt and see if it goes away. If not try a new belt.

Also check belt alignment and be sure the belt is centered on the primary.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Run it hard and get a few heat cycles on the belt and see if it goes away. If not try a new belt.

Also check belt alignment and be sure the belt is centered on the primary.
I haven't done so yet but when cold the belt is fine. One rip down the road and it howls and spins the secondary. From what I've read people have tried a replacement OEM and Badass belt with the same results.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I would take it back and have it fixed under warranty.

Reactions: DogRunner2 and LBR

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
so if the primary does not open fully, this could be caused by over tightening the bolt or a sticking fly weight/ ramp or even a bad bearing

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A spinning seconday typically indicates the primary is not releasing the belt at idle allowing the belt to ride in the primary bearing. Is your idle rpm correct?
When shut off is there clearance on both sides of the belt to the primary sheaves? View attachment 281362
I'd have to check the tolerances to know for sure. Loading on and off the trailer when the belt is cold it's fine but warm it drags bad. This seems to be the theme for 75% of P Drive owners.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I'd have to check the tolerances to know for sure. Loading on and off the trailer when the belt is cold it's fine but warm it drags bad. This seems to be the theme for 75% of P Drive owners.
You might want to have KWI do a work over on your PDRIVE. The one I just got is super smooth.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,567 Posts
You might want to have KWI do a work over on your PDRIVE. The one I just got is super smooth.
His clutch should work properly without having to send it off to KWI. While I agree that KWI does great work and their clutch kits are nice, the OP's car sounds like it has a defect from the factory. Alignment, bad bearing/no grease, or primary isn't opening.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
His clutch should work properly without having to send it off to KWI. While I agree that KWI does great work and their clutch kits are nice, the OP's car sounds like it has a defect from the factory. Alignment, bad bearing/no grease, or primary isn't opening.
You are correct, and there shouldn't be issues to start with. I have read about the factory issues with the Stock PDRIVE. I have had my share of dealer issues and at this point I would never take anything to a dealer again to repair so that's why I had mentioned to just send it off to someone that actually knows what they are doing and get some of the extra modifications done while it's there. KWI's turn around time is fast, but if your not in a hurry dealer repair would be your slow choice for sure.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's an odd issue for sure and seems to be more prevelant on some machines more than others. This is my second 22 w/P Drive. The first one literally had 3 miles on it before I sold it and didn't have the issue. The latest machine had 3 miles on it when I picked it up and has the issue. I have a feeling there's going to be a recall at some point.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If is when hot most time is lack of grease on bearing. Looking the manual, brp changed the grease of the bearing to nb5051 instead nb52, if there's so many people with same problem, will start replacing that grease.anyway finding the nb5051 is almost impossible without spending big bucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine's did it once. We were just pulling in to take a break so I let it sit for a bit. After it cooled off it was fine. Only at 139 miles so I'm going to give it some time and see if it acts up a again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My buddy's brand new machine with 2.9 miles had secondary spinning. Called dealer and they said to put it Eco mode when starting out and switch to performance mode once machine is moving. He hasn't had a chance to try this theory out yet. Dealer said BRP knows about issue but no solution yet. Maybe a computer flash coming?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
computer does not control the clutches
brp does not know what the problem is...yet
pdrive out of spec or secondary issues
maybe bad clutch alignment?

all eco does is lower idle rpms ...what a joke

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
computer does not control the clutches
brp does not know what the problem is...yet
pdrive out of spec or secondary issues
maybe bad clutch alignment?

all eco does is lower idle rpms ...what a joke
Ya that sounds like they are just trying to make the issues less noticeable with the lower Idle Rpms.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,567 Posts
I admi it,, the QC issues I've had with my X3 have been relatively minor and I think I've only spent a few hundred dollars correcting them. I think I got lucky though, 2020 was essentially the culmination of product improvement for the X3 before BRP implemented new-to-X3 technology. Now we're seeing a reset of of the product improvement cycle with ECU's, suspension, and drivetrain. Sadly this seems like the all to common customer beta testing scenario.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts