Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

2021 XRS Issue (throttle loss on takeoff)

8K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Mountain-Maverick 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Did some riding this weekend and had an issue where when taking off from a stop (high, low and reverse) my machine will just lose throttle response entirely and just stall somewhat. I can press the pedal to the floor and nothing happens. I don’t lose power(electrical) or anything it just kind of stops. If I let out on the gas pedal and press again it goes on just fine. It doesn’t do this every time and just at complete random.

Throttle sensor of some sort maybe? Im not sure lol. It doesn’t sputter or shake or anything just acts like I let off the gas. nothing shows up on the dash and I don’t think (will try and see again to be sure when I get a chance) the rpms drop or anything either.

Anyone ever ran into this by chance?

Thank you!

#12 · (Edited)
when it does it, try the override button and see if that helps
if its the torque management system kicking in then you must take your foot off the petal
for it to reset....the dead pedal is a classic symptom of the torque limiter
also the brake and gas at the same time will cause the limiter to kick in

#17 ·
no tunes for the 21s

Reactions: Mountain-Maverick
#19 ·
I get the yet, but if like GM and the C8 Corvette, they have not and WILL not crack it. The workaround is a chip replacement or standalone ECU. The C8's encryption is 2048 kb. Todays manufactures are calling their software proprietary and you don't own it.
Welcome to the future.

#21 ·
ya all 10 of them

#23 ·
Hey Everyone,

Did some riding this weekend and had an issue where when taking off from a stop (high, low and reverse) my machine will just lose throttle response entirely and just stall somewhat. I can press the pedal to the floor and nothing happens. I don’t lose power(electrical) or anything it just kind of stops. If I let out on the gas pedal and press again it goes on just fine. It doesn’t do this every time and just at complete random.

Throttle sensor of some sort maybe? Im not sure lol. It doesn’t sputter or shake or anything just acts like I let off the gas. nothing shows up on the dash and I don’t think (will try and see again to be sure when I get a chance) the rpms drop or anything either.

Thank you!
Mine did the same thing. Do you have XTC turn signal kit installed?

#27 ·
Hey Everyone,

Thank you!
Was having the same problem. I have a 2019 DS. I changed my belt seemed to fix the problem the belt had small nicks on that not too bad but it seem to fix the problem so far

#28 ·
Hey Everyone,

Thank you!
Don't panic..
My 2021 XRS SmartShox does the same thing.
I don't know what causes it but I just assumed it was a anti-destruct feature.

#31 ·
Somebody may have clarified but it's worth stating again, 2021 models only have one key.

And I have experienced the same loss of throttle engagement on my 21 XDS RR. This feels like it is a throttle override issue triggered by what seems to be a sensor kicking in & the throttle simply disappearing & applying NO GAS!

My re-occurring experience has always been that this happens in uphill situations where I'm rolling from the brake to the throttle & am obviously touching both brake & throttle at the same time. It should be known that & can power brake the back tires loose without this happening, but the uphill roll from brake to throttle kicks in what feels like a throttle override feature. There is just NOTHING! No delayed acceleration just nothing, like the throttle isn't connected.

Fortunately this hasn't completely screwed me over yet & thankfully I haven't rolled backward off a steep wooded hillside because of it but, I'm sure to stay alert to WTF is happening here & the danger it can incur.

Also worth mentioning, this quickly disappears as soon as I let off the throttle & re-apply it!
WTF Batman?

Sounds to me like we have a re-occurring throttle issue with the '21 models for certain.

#32 ·
it is programmed to do that stupid stuff,
just use the over ride switch
or get a over ride on and off switch
its not a momentary switch
but works the same

there are learners keys for the 21s
they just dont come standard anymore

#34 ·
How & why would you use an 'override switch' for an intermittent throttle problem for which you have no idea when it is going to happen or, not happen? And to be clear, this is also happening going forward so, would the override switch (which is for overriding the reverse rev limiter feature) even have any effect when going forward when this fault kicks in?

When this happens, there are simply no revs at all! No throttle blip & or fade, (unlike economy mode) nothing! It is like the throttle is completely disconnected! NADA! This is an issue who's cause needs to be found, figured out & corrected! This is obviously not how the machine was designed to operate..

In fact it just happened to me today on a semi steep uphill section shortly after I started up, put er in gear & went for the gas! Nothing at all, just like I wasn't hitting the gas at all!

What kind of conjured up voodoo have they come up with that can completely override & ignore a floored gas pedal!?? LOL Ya ya yah, they call that technological advancement now don't they..

Well, It seems to be electrical (sensors, computer etc) in nature that are being triggered into overriding the throttle in these intermittent & thankfully for now temporary instances. Being no fault code is being generated it is going to take some old fashioned luck (or straight up smarts) figuring it out.

#35 ·
just put your foot on the brake and throttle at the same time and it will do it every time

#36 ·
There has been an ECU update for the 21s for 2 months now. It is from going from brake to gas at same time or even close as the brake doesn't always shoot back out fast enough. The ecu update also remove the low battery accessory cut off. Some people have winch issues because of it.
There is also quite a bit to the update that they won't disclose. Ecu update takes a lot longer than it should for just those updates. It got rid of it on my machine but then I did the evo tune and got rid of the other crap too. Yes early model 21 RR.
If you start throwing misfire codes it is probably the flywheel, or misaligned clutches. Both known issues on the 21s.
Good luck and be safe until you get the update. It can really put you in a bind on dangerous transitions!

#38 ·
There has been an ECU update for the 21s for 2 months now. It is from going from brake to gas at same time or even close as the brake doesn't always shoot back out fast enough. The ecu update also remove the low battery accessory cut off. Some people have winch issues because of it.
There is also quite a bit to the update that they won't disclose. Ecu update takes a lot longer than it should for just those updates. It got rid of it on my machine but then I did the evo tune and got rid of the other crap too. Yes early model 21 RR.
If you start throwing misfire codes it is probably the flywheel, or misaligned clutches. Both known issues on the 21s.
Good luck and be safe until you get the update. It can really put you in a bind on dangerous transitions!
Is the brake & gas and / brake to gas loss of throttle only a 4 wheel drive thing? Because I can power brake the $#it out of my X3 until my tires are bald in 2 wheel drive! But I've never actually tried that while in 4x4! Because,.. why would you...
But then again,..
Do I really need to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.