Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the new xrs turbo rr max and put my first 40 miles on it.

I only have a winch and Rockford stage 2 stereo installed.

While pulling another member out of the mud with my winch, about 3 seconds into the pull the winch stopped and a red battery light was solid on the dash. I turn it off and it resets and works until under load again and does the same thing.

12.8v reading when powered but not running
11.5v while cranking
14.3v while running
Under winch load it goes to 11.2v and then cuts out.

Grounds look tight, wiring is correct from dealer.

Bad battery? Bad winch? Charging issues?

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
82 Posts

While pulling another member out of the mud with my winch, about 3 seconds into the pull the winch stopped and a red battery light was solid on the dash. I turn it off and it resets and works until under load again and does the same thing.

11.5v while cranking
14.3v while running

Is the 11.2 V at the battery or at the winch? Must be at the battery for it to throw the light.
Winch must be pulling to many amps for what ever reason. Is the wire size to the winch large enough to not cause low voltage at the winch increasing the amp draw?
Is your stereo on while using the winch?
The 2021 has 850 watt stator and with those two loads it should be fine with a freshly charged battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the 11.2 V at the battery or at the winch? Must be at the battery for it to throw the light.
Winch must be pulling to many amps for what ever reason. Is the wire size to the winch large enough to not cause low voltage at the winch increasing the amp draw?
Is your stereo on while using the winch?
The 2021 has 850 watt stator and with those two loads it should be fine with a freshly charged battery.
That is me viewing the volts off the display from the machine itself so if assume it's from battery but could be wrong.
Stereo was likely paused but powered on. I bought the CanAm hd4500 winch and installed by dealer so I'd assume all wiring would correct sizing from kit.

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
82 Posts
That is me viewing the volts off the display from the machine itself so if assume it's from battery but could be wrong.
Stereo was likely paused but powered on. I bought the CanAm hd4500 winch and installed by dealer so I'd assume all wiring would correct sizing from kit.
I've never used a winch but are you leaving the car running while using the winch? Not sure if you are supposed to are not.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

11.5v while cranking
14.3v while running

Welcome from NW Oregon!
Congrats!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It was definitely on when you were winching?

The battery in these things is a tiny little gel cell. NO WAY could it handle big amps for sustained periods of time. And I mean like 2-4 seconds of continuous winch use. I'd venture to say you were straining your winch and hence, your electrical system. So you were likely seeing the system working correctly.

Nice rig, I have the same rig and windshield.

Take a look at the battery, it's behind the rear passenger seat, you won't believe how small it is.

A better fix will probably include a full size secondary battery kit. That should have the ability to add the capacitance (farads, not amps) to help. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shoot, I just saw that you said at 3 seconds it alarmed. Wow. Well, it seems like the winch was strained even more than I thought.

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
82 Posts
Yes, it's wired to where the car must be running to use.

thank you for pointing me in a better direction!
I would load test the battery. While running you have around 60-70 amps of power from the stator alone, beside the available Ah from the battery. Something way off. Sucks if you have to take it back to the dealer. Most are a bunch of dip shits and just throw parts at it for a month and might fix it or not.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
The RR have 850 watt stator but at what RPM do they charge? My RZRs don’t “charge“ unless engine rpms are above approximately 2500 to 3000. Are the RR’s similar? Winch pulls a ton of juice....

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
82 Posts
The RR have 850 watt stator but at what RPM do they charge? My RZRs don’t “charge“ unless engine rpms are above approximately 2500 to 3000. Are the RR’s similar? Winch pulls a ton of juice....
I believe it's rating of 850 is 6500-7000 rpm. Would be curious what they produce at idle. 100 watts or so I bet.
How about put the stock battery back in and try it?
Tons of people using winches without issue.
How big of a pull were you trying to do OP? A real big load?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are using the winch while the machine is running right?
Correct. Every time has been while running.
I've been looking at solenoid post and there are 4 post, all the same size. Positive and negative from the winch to solenoid and then positive and negative from solenoid to bus bar.

I keep seeing test the larger winch side post with no power to winch and it should read 12v and the smaller non winch side post should read zero.
Any idea which post is which if they are all same size?

I interpret that as the post connected to winch are winch side and if that's the case I'm getting 0 when not powered and according to what I read that means solenoid isn't working properly.
Then the post from solenoid to bus bar is reading 12 with no power and if those are the "smaller post" then they should read 0 when power is off on machine and that is opposite of what it should be. So I wonder if I'm testing the correct post if the solenoid is not working properly.

link to what I'm reading to better understand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not certain what the exact answer is but with minor throttle at idle I can see the volts jump up .2-.3 so I'd assume it's charging with minor rpm. I didn't try to rev it much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe it's rating of 850 is 6500-7000 rpm. Would be curious what they produce at idle. 100 watts or so I bet.
How about put the stock battery back in and try it?
Tons of people using winches without issue.
How big of a pull were you trying to do OP? A real big load?
Just trying to pull out another two seater out of some mud. Once winch quit I was able to pull it out with little effort in reverse with my machine so it wasn't crazy but it was pulling on a pull machine in the mud.

I also connected to my truck and winched in and pushed the brakes today and did same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would load test the battery. While running you have around 60-70 amps of power from the stator alone, beside the available Ah from the battery. Something way off. Sucks if you have to take it back to the dealer. Most are a bunch of dip shits and just throw parts at it for a month and might fix it or not.
This is not a topic of great understanding for me so I have to ask, from the numbers I posted, what was a red flag for you to think something is off or is it more of the scenario bs the numbers I posted?

definitely weird because I didn't think the V listed were really outside of spec except the decrease under load. Dropping 3V while winching doesn't seem right. Wondering if there's solenoid issue but if so would it work at all?

I read this link and was testing solenoid. If I did the right post I'm getting the results where this says it's bad. 0 on winch side and 12 on non winch side when powered off and the link says that's sign of bad solenoid. Maybe I'm testing it wrong though.

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
82 Posts
This is not a topic of great understanding for me so I have to ask, from the numbers I posted, what was a red flag for you to think something is off or is it more of the scenario bs the numbers I posted?

definitely weird because I didn't think the V listed were really outside of spec except the decrease under load. Dropping 3V while winching doesn't seem right. Wondering if there's solenoid issue but if so would it work at all?

I read this link and was testing solenoid. If I did the right post I'm getting the results where this says it's bad. 0 on winch side and 12 on non winch side when powered off and the link says that's sign of bad solenoid. Maybe I'm testing it wrong though.
Could be the solenoid if it is opening up when it shouldn't. Solenoids have less magnetic pull with lower voltage. I agree that 11.x volts it should still hold the solenoid closed. The battery light on the dash is just what it is set at and doesn't really address your issue.
Have you checked all the electrical connections on the winch? A loose wire either on the high load or solenoid connection will cause issues. The grounding side of all this can also be of issue at high loads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could be the solenoid if it is opening up when it shouldn't. Solenoids have less magnetic pull with lower voltage. I agree that 11.x volts it should still hold the solenoid closed. The battery light on the dash is just what it is set at and doesn't really address your issue.
Have you checked all the electrical connections on the winch? A loose wire either on the high load or solenoid connection will cause issues. The grounding side of all this can also be of issue at high loads.
I checked the connections at the winch, solenoid, bus bar and battery. Not sure if I'm missing anything but I'll have to go through it all again tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I checked the connections at the winch, solenoid, bus bar and battery. Not sure if I'm missing anything but I'll have to go through it all again tomorrow and see.
One pic is of my solenoid and the other is of the directions and I don't have the circuits as pictured in the instructions from the negative on solenoid to negative on bus bar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts