Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did they say how they came to that conclusion? Were they able to swap in a flywheel from another car and test? I'm assuming it is the same flywheel as older models or is there something different?

Also when does your car have this issue? Mine is at startup, and I seen that the OP is having it above 50mph in straight aways. MX says his is in straight aways as well but does say how fast? Is yours at speed as well?
Do you know if the other guys that are at the same shop as you have the problems at the same time as you?
Mine is over 45 mph and only above 2000ft elevation . Runs fine at sea level . Service manger confirmed same code but not specifics on what cars were doing when they went into limp mode . Dealer said Can am isn’t shipping any of the flywheels until they confirm the bad batch .

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR MAX
194 Posts
Mine is over 45 mph and only above 2000ft elevation . Runs fine at sea level . Service manger confirmed same code but not specifics on what cars were doing when they went into limp mode . Dealer said Can am isn’t shipping any of the flywheels until they confirm the bad batch .
Damn. I just went in and paid for the 12 month extended warranty. I talked to them about it and they said they think it is probably just spark plugs. I also am eating thru belts like crazy with mine. So I drop mine off Tuesday to have them see about the code and clutch alignment.

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR MAX
194 Posts
Almost sent off my ecu to evo yesterday for the new tune but glad I seen this post. Need to get this resolved first

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn. I just went in and paid for the 12 month extended warranty. I talked to them about it and they said they think it is probably just spark plugs. I also am eating thru belts like crazy with mine. So I drop mine off Tuesday to have them see about the code and clutch alignment.
They replaced my belt twice and plugs twice . Nothing changed . I am giving them a few weeks before I get a lawyer .

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR MAX
194 Posts
They replaced my belt twice and plugs twice . Nothing changed . I am giving them a few weeks before I get a lawyer .
Are you blowing up belts too. Or they thought that might be the cause? It is not an engine pulley belt lol not quite like a normal card belt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does it as soon as I start driving it for a mile or two on a straight away at any given speed just goes straight into limp home mode. I would then pull over shut it off start it back up and it would go rite back to normal but once again a mile done a limp mode once again. I also got mine at coyne. Suck to say I got this issue going on and only having about 50hrs on it.

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR MAX
194 Posts
Wow thankfully mine isn't doing that. It will do on startup and then stay on until I drive it around and get to 2-3 bars on the engine temp. Turn off and turn back on. It still beeps shows the code and then shuts off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got my RR in Sept of 2020 & you guys are really making me feel very lucky. Oops! I hope I didn't just jinx myself now!
But I can't help believing that it's a real $#itty thing having something like this happen to your brand new & very pricey machine, & that's not even mentioning the loss of activity & time spent with your new investment!

My heart & full support truly goes out to you guys dealing with this supreme disappointment & I wish you all a speedy solution & acceptable remedy to this dillema & hope you are all back to riding again ASAFP!.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This past weekend I took my RR out with new spark plugs, a new belt, and a new air filter.

In the same situation, only when driven on the highway after 55 miles an hour and after 20 min drive, does it and not when offroading.

No luck! the limp mode came back on and with code PO363. I give up! I guess ill be taking it to the dealer this time.
😞

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR MAX
194 Posts
This past weekend I took my RR out with new spark plugs, a new belt, and a new air filter.

In the same situation, only when driven on the highway after 55 miles an hour and after 20 min drive, does it and not when offroading.

No luck! the limp mode came back on and with code PO363. I give up! I guess ill be taking it to the dealer this time.
😞
Damn man that sucks.
Have you done the ECU update yet?
Also are you having belt problems?
I got mine back from the dealer today and did some driving at the dunes with my stock clutch and sure enough got codes. My clutch has a terrible alignment problem that they documented but said it will be a few weeks before they hear from BRP whether they will fix/warranty.
I took it to my buddies down the street and threw his clutch on with the KWI float mod. We had to add all the shims to get it to align properly. Took it out and no codes thrown. So proceeded to ride hard after breaking in a new belt. And after a few hours no code. Definitely have your dealer file a claim but it may be 2-3 weeks until the get a response from BRP.
I will test hard tomorrow on the trail, in the river, and in the mud. Then again on Sunday at the dunes again and let you guys know if the codes stay away

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Have you done the ECU update yet? No, I have not
Also are you having belt problems? No belt issues

It only happens when on the highway or street going above 60 miles an hour. It's fast and smooth when offroading.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I found my problem . After sitting in a dealership for 40 days and frustrated I pulled the car out . After speaking with a Factory Can Am racer and a rental company who had 21’X3s It was narrowed down to the flywheel. Flywheels for 21s are 120 units back ordered . It was suggested that I convert back to 18-20 charging system . Pulled the cover and as I guessed the flywheel was coming apart . The reluctor wheel was missing a tooth and coming apart from the flywheel . Swapped stator , Flywheel ,
Voltage regulator. And charging wire harness and the car runs like new !! Car had under 5 miles on it when I started getting codes and just got worse . It would only go into limp mode at 40-55 mph . Nothing less or nothing more . Just wanted share my issue . Can am is aware of this and it would be nice if there is a recall . As time goes on I am sure more 21s will have this issue .

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR MAX
194 Posts
Awesome glad you found your fix. Did you end up going with the 18-20 parts? Some guys rides are still at the dealership.
Mine would only throw the same code at start up. I have not had the code come back on mine since I put on the KWI float mod. Had to add three washers to get my secondary to line up with primary. Was blowing belt between 80-120 miles. Have over 200 on the new belt and no codes since.
I think just sourcing the parts for canam in 2020 with factories shut down they may be a lot of random problems. Seen a couple 21s that were brand new out at the dunes (just got 2 weeks ago) and the exhaust was so hot that it looked like they had a third tail light. 🤯Dealer said ecu flash would fix
There is three more at the shop having the same code. One at startup, other 2 same as you. I will pass your picture along to them. I already showed them my before and after pictures. I hope everyone can enjoy their new machine soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I swapped out all charging components to
18-20 model . 21 Flywheels are non existent and Can am won’t sell any until they fix the issue. When this gets sorted out I will buy a 21 flywheel and reinstall the higher capacity charging system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 268616 Well I found my problem . After sitting in a dealership for 40 days and frustrated I pulled the car out . After speaking with a Factory Can Am racer and a rental company who had 21’X3s It was narrowed down to the flywheel. Flywheels for 21s are 120 units back ordered . It was suggested that I convert back to 18-20 charging system . Pulled the cover and as I guessed the flywheel was coming apart . The reluctor wheel was missing a tooth and coming apart from the flywheel . Swapped stator , Flywheel ,
Voltage regulator. And charging wire harness and the car runs like new !! Car had under 5 miles on it when I started getting codes and just got worse . It would only go into limp mode at 40-55 mph . Nothing less or nothing more . Just wanted share my issue . Can am is aware of this and it would be nice if there is a recall . As time goes on I am sure more 21s will have this issue .
Thanks for posting this! I guess my RS is going to be seating at the dealership all summer :mad:

21 - 40 of 95 Posts