2021 Smart Shox

14K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Mr Ted 
#1 ·
#2 ·
another over priced option
when it malfunctions you need to take it to the stealer for repair

Reactions: RYEDOGG RACING
#3 ·
No one yet has shown me a picture of the actual shock adjusters. I don't think there are any. If that's the case, you end up with 3 settings based on the factory setup. I would want 3 settings based on my own settings. In the videos I saw today, the cars looked like they were just about hitting the skid plate off of the jumps. I do know that there is still ride height adjustment to be had on the shocks. The parts manual is now online.

#4 ·
No one yet has shown me a picture of the actual shock adjusters. I don't think there are any. If that's the case, you end up with 3 settings based on the factory setup. I would want 3 settings based on my own settings. In the videos I saw today, the cars looked like they were just about hitting the skid plate off of the jumps. I do know that there is still ride height adjustment to be had on the shocks. The parts manual is now online.
There aren’t any manual adjusters on the shock, just auto adjusters that replaced them. 3 settings plus the dynamic adjustments that are in between all three settings and bridge them together. Same as Polaris only much faster AND with rebound now so that’s awesome. The fox iQS system is three settings with no on the fly adjustments between the three in which case it may miss the mark on what ever you want it set too. The only way that you are going to adjust the dynamic shock system any better, short of ride night and cross over, is by sending them to shock therapy to be re-valved. If that car you saw in the video is set to sport + (full stiff on the button) with proper ride height, and still bottoms, then there’s nothing you can do to change it yourself other then getting springs and valving. If you have one specific set up that you like then save the 2000 cause this options useless to you then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I dont see the issue with " just about to hit the skid plate "

It used the travel it had. Assuming there is even some " dynamic" adjustment made by the computer then different hits will encounter different valving as it travels through its stroke depending on speed or inertia etc.

Point is that it's likley reacting to the situation and allowing the shocks to use the stroke available.

It almost sounds like some guys think the thing is not changing the valving as it encounters variables. I think that's why it has 9 sensors and makes calculations in milliseconds.
JMHO.

Tim

#7 ·
It almost sounds like some guys think the thing is not changing the valving as it encounters variables. I think that's why it has 9 sensors and makes calculations in milliseconds.
Electronic shocks do not change the piston valving. All they do is change the "clickers" on the fly.

Reactions: sand shark
#6 ·
I'm not sure how it works, but it sounds like instead of a valving adjustment you can just get a shock ecu tune and you're set to go. I wouldn't be surprised if shock tuners can send you a tune and instead of moving knobs for new terrain they just reprogram that switch and the valving to whatever presets you want, or give you the ability through a handheld device to change it yourself.

Why this technology has just recently started coming around is beyond me, it was the obvious evolution of shocks. Bypasses were the fanciest thing and essentially the same since 20 years ago, I think this has tons of potential.

#8 ·
Yes, it may be possible to reprogram the shock ECU, but the tune is still limited to what the internal ports can flow.

Yes, it has been obvious for decades that this was the next step in shock evolution.
The reason it didn't happen sooner is that solenoids did not have a fast enough reaction time.
Apparently now they do.

I believe these shocks are still the same bypass shocks internally, maybe with different valving.

#16 ·
Until the body valving changes as well I'm not buying. I want a $10,000 shock system on a $30,000 car. Then i'll complain about the noise. lol

But if the shox are able to help adjust for the added unsprung weight, great. If they require a reporgram from the dealer to change tires, not good, if, nothing is known yet.

#21 ·
Only one way to change the actual valving and that is by changing up the shims. So if you can some up with a system that can to that on the fly patent it and enjoy your new found fortune.

Reactions: Scott F
#23 ·
With independently controlled corners, can the sway bars be less critical, able to utilize a lighter bar, or perhaps even be removed if controlled correctly?

How does a system like this keep the vehicle level around different severities of a hard turns?

Does this system monitor position in the entire stroke and compare that to the other shocks positions?

Or would it perhaps require something like an accelerometer mixed into that equation to monitor and adjust minimizing the utility of an interconnected system with a bar?

Could they potentially eliminate a bar with the right setup?

How is that controlled on non smooth and rough unlevel ground?

Are there scenarios where a bar physically coupling each side is always needed or required even if it can effectively level a vehicle from left to right by I assume stiffening the outside and softening the inside on the fly like through a chicane for example?

#25 ·
I got the chance to check this out firsthand at Pastranaland. Watched/filmed for the morning, then got the opportunity to ride shotgun with him. In that environment, the Smart-Shox sytem was very noticeable. I can’t wait to see how it does out west in Johnson Valley and Glamis.

I can only hope that “tuners” like Shock Therapy will be able to get into the system and be able to sell a shock tune that is nothing more than a reflash.

#26 ·
I got the chance to check this out firsthand at Pastranaland. Watched/filmed for the morning, then got the opportunity to ride shotgun with him. In that environment, the Smart-Shox sytem was very noticeable. I can’t wait to see how it does out west in Johnson Valley and Glamis.

I can only hope that “tuners” like Shock Therapy will be able to get into the system and be able to sell a shock tune that is nothing more than a reflash.

Bet that was bad ass to participate in. I’m pretty much jealous lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.