Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did say if they were to perfect it as there are many advantages.

HSTs offer many important advantages over other forms of power transmission.
Depending on its configuration, an HST:
  • transmits high power in a compact size
  • exhibits low inertia
  • operates efficiently over a wide range of torque-to-speed ratios
  • maintains controlled speed (even in reverse) regardless of load, within design limits
  • maintains a preset speed accurately against driving or braking loads
  • can transmit power from a single prime mover to multiple locations, even if position and orientation of the locations changes
  • can remain stalled and undamaged under full load at low power loss
  • does not creep at zero speed
  • provides faster response than mechanical or electromechanical transmissions of comparable rating, and
  • can provide dynamic braking.
What kind of vehicle are you operating that has a hydro that works like this, I’ve run a lot of heavy equipment with hydro transmission and there is no way I’d want one in a sport vehicle
#1 problem is going to be heat
#2efficeincy It’s going to take a lot of ponies to get a hydro to respond like a cvt or direct transmission
So I’m curious what vehicle you are thinking of when you say a hydro would be great
If you want one with hydro Kubota makes them and so does bobcat.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did say if they were to perfect it as there are many advantages.

HSTs offer many important advantages over other forms of power transmission.
Depending on its configuration, an HST:
  • transmits high power in a compact size
  • exhibits low inertia
  • operates efficiently over a wide range of torque-to-speed ratios
  • maintains controlled speed (even in reverse) regardless of load, within design limits
  • maintains a preset speed accurately against driving or braking loads
  • can transmit power from a single prime mover to multiple locations, even if position and orientation of the locations changes
  • can remain stalled and undamaged under full load at low power loss
  • does not creep at zero speed
  • provides faster response than mechanical or electromechanical transmissions of comparable rating, and
  • can provide dynamic braking.
Well aware. I was a John Deere dealer back in the day, and worked on hydros. I'll never say never, but...

·
Registered
368 Posts
What kind of vehicle are you operating that has a hydro that works like this, I’ve run a lot of heavy equipment with hydro transmission and there is no way I’d want one in a sport vehicle
#2efficeincy It’s going to take a lot of ponies to get a hydro to respond like a cvt or direct transmission
So I’m curious what vehicle you are thinking of when you say a hydro would be great
Zackly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hopefully it’s true and it’s BRP that does it. They had the first turbo, so why not the first turbo DCT? I’m more interested in the shock package though. Hopefully it’s not just BNG!!
Oh its coming when 🤔. I think it will have its pros and cons my guess is 72 inch dune cars will benefit. In stop and go there is a good chance you will snap something. A Belt will break before a axle or something major. A non belt machine you will be spending money on on trails and rock climbing breaking things its a given. But can am does have a patent from 2016 2017 ill share with you.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well aware. I was a John Deere dealer back in the day, and worked on hydros. I'll never say never, but...
What would be the hold back for designing one specifically that would be applicable to a 200-300 hp SXS to match the acceleration of a CVT?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What would be the hold back for designing one specifically that would be applicable to a 200-300 hp SXS to match the acceleration of a CVT?
The high pressure needed would be dangerous and that amount of pressure is going to generate a lot of heat. People complane about the cab heat now, imagine nearly double the heat due to cooling requirements. It looks good on paper it's just not practical for high speed performance. There would be considerable lag time involved too you can't get pumps to ramp up pressure quick enough to blast you back in the seat it's just not possible. If it was they would have already done it with cars and trucks. It works great for low speed high torque requirements but not for racing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The high pressure needed would be dangerous and that amount of pressure is going to generate a lot of heat. People complane about the cab heat now, imagine nearly double the heat due to cooling requirements. It looks good on paper it's just not practical for high speed performance. There would be considerable lag time involved too you can't get pumps to ramp up pressure quick enough to blast you back in the seat it's just not possible. If it was they would have already done it with cars and trucks. It works great for low speed high torque requirements but not for racing.
:unsure: ........ I will place a bet something of such is around the corner, maybe not the same design but similar in principle.
I could see coolers, modified pumps, valving etc.

That is unless electric dominates the market first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I love when people think of the west coast as wide open throttle driving, and I think of the Rubicon and because of that I dont want a DCT
Would the DCT work for someone like me who avoids serious rock crawling, but still must do some traversing over rocks once in a while during the rough spots on a long trail or loop (AZ guys I'm thinking Montana Mountain)? Or is the DCT system very prone to breakage for all types of rock crawling, even if it's a very short distance to get over some rough spots?

Here's the best photo example I have of the worst terrain I have been on and expect to go on.

20200328_170220_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
I dont know for sure, my reasoning is going off the Honda guys, most say they are throttle sensitive and almost make you car sick, I'm sure Honda and whoever else comes out with a dct will solve that problem but I dont have any real complaints with a cvt.

Your terrain looks like a lot of what we ride, I'm not a rock crawler either

·
Registered
216 Posts
I dont know for sure, my reasoning is going off the Honda guys, most say they are throttle sensitive and almost make you car sick, I'm sure Honda and whoever else comes out with a dct will solve that problem but I dont have any real complaints with a cvt.

Your terrain looks like a lot of what we ride, I'm not a rock crawler either
Thanks for explaining where your DCT thoughts came from.

My photo is from a hard to find, off the beaten path trail in the Belmont Mountains west of Phoenix. It's the only trail where I've ever seen a BLM "Danger" sign. Why I was on it is because I was on a "I have to go everywhere in Belmont" crusade....haha.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is how I feel about the June 30th announcement.

IceCreamTruck.JPG

But if I venture into the local Ride Now and sit down with the Sales Manager and Finance Manager, this is what I'm in store for..................

NormanRockwellDrOffice.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the RZR will have a DCT first, as we will probably see the slingshot transmission in it for 2021.

I think the X3 will get live valve for 2021, and pretty much be the same as 2020 other than colors. 2022 it may get the DCT. I guess we will know next week for sure.

41 - 60 of 177 Posts