Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 RS Turbo RR
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fox has not yet provided any information regarding 2021 suspension settings for the "Fox Tune." 2020 specs definitely do not carry over to 2021, as on a brand new machine, the overall spring length of 31" in rear makes for a 13" rear ride height.

So, my plan is to add preload until the ride height is about 15.5", then the crossovers to about 1.5" and 2.5" front and rear respectively as per Shock Therapy's suggestions.

What would can you recommend as to the rebound, high speed compression, and low speed compression?

Has anyone with the same model played with suspension settings and found a good mix of settings for trail riding?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Installed spring length should never be used, too many variables such as spring sag, rider weight, cargo weight... set ride height 16.5 front 16 rear. Even more accurate thing to measure is exposed shock shaft length, then you eliminate all the variables such as tire size. You got crossover right. Compression and rebound suggestions arent horrible although i prefer to start full soft on high and low speed compression and make adjustments from there as needed.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Installed spring length should never be used, too many variables such as spring sag, rider weight, cargo weight... set ride height 16.5 front 16 rear. Even more accurate thing to measure is exposed shock shaft length, then you eliminate all the variables such as tire size. You got crossover right. Compression and rebound suggestions arent horrible although i prefer to start full soft on high and low speed compression and make adjustments from there as needed.

FWIW, I only referenced the length to note that the '20 to '21 models are different. Spring sag is definitely a factor as miles are put on the suspension, but a brand new unit should be close assuming the measurements

My question is primarily on what rebound and HSC/LSC settings to use. There are no "Fox Tune" settings for the '21 yet.
You said you like to start at full soft on HSC/LSC. I mostly trail ride. Is this still appropriate?

·
Registered
2020 XRS RR
98 Posts
Is there actually a Fox tune guide for 20 xrs rr models? I couldn't find anything regarding ride height an crossover measurements. Would the 16/16.5 apply to a 20 model as well?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there actually a Fox tune guide for 20 xrs rr models? I couldn't find anything regarding ride height an crossover measurements. Would the 16/16.5 apply to a 20 model as well?
My apologies. There is not. I just realized I was looking at the information for the wrong model. There is info up to 2020 for the 64" model but no info yet for the 72" past 2019.

·
Registered
2020 XRS RR
98 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. Ill probably set up just as you are. Are you measuring from the botom of the crossover to the top of the spring? Set crossover with buggy lifted or on the ground?

·
Registered
531 Posts
The adjustability of the spring and shock settings can be overwhelming. Think of it as a six way power seat in a luxury car. It takes some time to find the most comfortable adjustment on that six way seat and you will probably change it many times until you find it. It is the same with the shock settings on the premium model sxs. You have to change it many times until you find the sweet spot. As you learn what the adjustments do it will start to make sense. The "Fox Tune" is just a starting point.

·
Registered
644 Posts
All i do is mixed trail riding so id say yes for compression. And yes ride height still applies

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the info. Ill probably set up just as you are. Are you measuring from the botom of the crossover to the top of the spring? Set crossover with buggy lifted or on the ground?
I am measuring from the bottom of the crossover to the top of the spring divider. Not the other way around. That way you can truly utilize both springs. Set the crossover with it on the ground with driver and gear loaded.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yup as you said, from bottom of crossover lock nuts to top of sliding spring divider. Measure same way you measure ride height, ensure car is fully settled and ideally loaded with weight as your driving ie driver, passenger and cargo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called fox and they told me the 2020 xrs rr springs come from can am so they do not provide any information on them. You have to go off what is provided in the owners manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW, I only referenced the length to note that the '20 to '21 models are different. Spring sag is definitely a factor as miles are put on the suspension, but a brand new unit should be close assuming the measurements

My question is primarily on what rebound and HSC/LSC settings to use. There are no "Fox Tune" settings for the '21 yet.
You said you like to start at full soft on HSC/LSC. I mostly trail ride. Is this still appropriate?
It's on your owners manual

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
If you have the money change the springs if you have a bit more money get them revalved

I played with the setups from fox and the springs collapsed changed to some max springs and they collapsed. Once the springs collapsed I think I have blown something out in the left rear shock

I'm in line with ST waiting for my appointment 4 weeks from now

Went for a ride in a reworked car by ST and remarkable difference especially in the washboard

As some of the other posts have had good luck with changing the springs to name brand right off and play with stock valving settings. till ya can swing the reworked valving.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have my 2020 XRS RR set as described. 16-16.5 ride height, crossovers at 2 inches, with compression all the way soft. I do not like body roll so I have Shock Therapy anti sway bars set to the stiffest setting. I mostly ride desert trails (no dunes and avoid rock crawling). There is surely still room for improvement but for 100% stock shocks and springs I am very happy with it.

Reactions: Vagabond

·
Registered
2019 Can Am Max XRS
18 Posts
Sucks the machines still come out so low to the ground. I guess it's a liability thing...Don't want the publicity of "rollovers" which is really a driver issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts