Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 Maverick XXC mainly for the wife as i thought i wouldn't really like side by sides that much, but o boy was i wrong.

Local dealer has the XRS turbo rr in stock and will probably be able to work a deal. but in Canada thats a big investment and i'm worried the 21 will be a paddle shift similar to the talon.

As a bonus the XRS matches my sled.

·
Premium Member
10,467 Posts
If you wait to at least see if the '21s have any substantial changes, the '20 prices will drop. New model information usually comes out around June.

Reactions: Mr Ted

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's my line of thought. I follow mostly sledding and i've seen the patents for the an "860" 2 stroke in 2015, then in 2017 the 850 was released, likewise someone found patents for a turbo and most people thought it was fake then like 4 or 5 years later the first ever 2 stroke turbo came out from the factory.

On one of the SxS forums we seen a patent for a dual clutch can am and i think its close as we are getting close to 200hp from factory in a machine thats weighs over a ton, the limits of belts are reached. with current power the CVT loses are more than a transmission and the CVT benefits are lost in efficiency getting power to the wheels.

The 100hp Talon rips very well and feels like a 120hp base X3 about.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The CVT is perfect for keeping the motor at its maximum torque and perfect rpm at all times. No transmission that shifts is capable of that. When everything is 'right' which is the key its pretty hard to beat and are very dependable. And relatively inexpensive and easy to work on in these machines. No doubt the best bang for the buck. Belts and clutches are rapidly improving to meet demands as tires did in the 60's for high performance cars. Can there be better options ? Sure.. But it will be interesting to see what comes up and to keep it cost effective is the key. These already cost more then some cars. I wonder how far they can go before they are to expensive to sell enough and make a profit ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CVT is perfect for keeping the motor at its maximum torque and perfect rpm at all times. No transmission that shifts is capable of that. When everything is 'right' which is the key its pretty hard to beat and are very dependable. And relatively inexpensive and easy to work on in these machines. No doubt the best bang for the buck. Belts and clutches are rapidly improving to meet demands as tires did in the 60's for high performance cars. Can there be better options ? Sure.. But it will be interesting to see what comes up and to keep it cost effective is the key. These already cost more then some cars. I wonder how far they can go before they are to expensive to sell enough and make a profit ?

well a DCT is more expensive but i bet the margins are pretty good that it can be done. the Honda Talon isn't priced outrageous.

The CVT certainly does have its benefits keeping power at optimal level, but for long runs it would be nice to have a transmission to lower the RPM for a long ride and conserve fuel. the trail to the dunes for us is about 45km of wide open trail then another 15-20 to get into where it opens up enough to play. i'm running at 6500 rpm the whole time and my buddy with a yxz is 4000 rpm. most times i just get back to the truck before i'm out of fuel. the X3 turbo is actually decent on fuel and does better than most 100-110 hp machines in the sand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the limits of belts are reached. with current power the CVT loses are more than a transmission and the CVT benefits are lost in efficiency getting power to the wheels.

The 100hp Talon rips very well and feels like a 120hp base X3 about.

On that topic, I have read that a CVT has a efficiency loss of ~15% (I assume when running optimally)

Is that accurate?

What is the accepted range of losses on more traditional automotive transmissions, and specifically the Honda DCT, a average manual, and automatic?

How could I possibly know, yet I feel like that is the way the market will move also.

What about the new Yamaha KRX1000? it runs a centrifigal with the CVT? How does that factor into the drivetrain topic? And if that is accurate, why and how does a centrifugal clutch benefit a CVT setup?

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
On that topic, I have read that a CVT has a efficiency loss of ~15% (I assume when running optimally)

Is that accurate?

What is the accepted range of losses on more traditional automotive transmissions, and specifically the Honda DCT, a average manual, and automatic?

How could I possibly know, yet I feel like that is the way the market will move also.

What about the new Yamaha KRX1000? it runs a centrifigal with the CVT? How does that factor into the drivetrain topic? And if that is accurate, why and how does a centrifugal clutch benefit a CVT setup?
It’s not a Yamaha it’s a Kawisaki krx. It’s also has a wet clutch which is know for not holding power. Not many talons around here. Mainly because of the transmission. Cvt has been proven to hold 3-400 hp machines. Plus a spring change and weights and the average feller can do it in his garage when he adds weight with bigger tires or whatever . Not much fun having to change gears in a trans when you go to 35” tires. I have seen a few turbo talons that would rip but 1 is already getting new trans due to added abuse and power. They will have to come a long way to actually be a contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
the krx isn't designed to go fast. it's for climbing and technical trails. it's belt system is probably the closest feeling to an auto trans since the belt is constantly engaged. no revving up to grab.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Yeah I know how it works . It’s the same as the teryx and rhino. I’ve had both and still have a 13 model teryx that belonged to my dad. I’m not clowning on them . Simply stating they are topped out on power it can handle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They did a fairly large revamp for 2020 with the new dash and intake/intercooler/fan/turbo/injector/pistons upgrade to get 195hp on the RR, seems unlikely they will change too much for the next year or two as they recoup the R&D/production costs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
While I agree that 2021 probably doesn't bring big changes. They came out with the 2017 x3 then made huge changes to 18 with more power. Then 18.5 came out with smart lock. Even made many small changes for 19.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yea I heard that F-1 and Indy is going to belt drive

Come on in a different post every one was trying to figure out the reason why there belts failed Heat even the Nissan liquid cooled failed

It’s likely going the rout of an DCT they will have to as the makers of the automatic transmission SXS get more HP that’s the easy part

Getting a reliable drive system is the hard part maybe multiple belts doing different speeds locking clutches

Could be these makers will roleup Honda has a habitat of that the power sports side is such a tiny amount to their bottom line

Who knows what will happen if we cant get through this health crisis

Stay well All

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Live valve is not all that great in my opinion. Only use would be is if you are racing and going from hard pack to rock crawling. That would only be about 2-3% of us if not less. It doesn’t adjust automatically like a lot of people think and I. My mind just so
Ergo g else to break or “lock up” while riding. I’ve seen Polaris dynamics lock up on guys and it’s not much fun for them to drive on rough trails locked i. Stiff setting

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the new raptor with it is awesome and I could probably use many benefits from being able to remotely adjust my shock dampening.

A rough slow trail I can have my suspension soft for ride comfort and when it opens up bump up the suspension a little more. Riding in the dunes you see a jump so hit the stiff button and give her!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
While I agree the live valve is mod for the x3 is lame. I can literally fix the settings it changes in 2 minutes. The full live valve that senses pressure and increases dampening is worth it. Along with the oh crap button.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Fox already released live valve for the X3 so it could be factory soon.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
When did Fox do this? I know they worked with Shock Therapy on that set up, which is exclusive to Shock Therapy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts