Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3 DS Max
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Maverick family. Bought a used 2020 X3 Max that was in wicked condition, full service records, extended warranty. Lots of factory accessories. 3000km

I have used it fir less than 2 hours and yesterday I was on the trails ( dirt, mud, water) heard a metal noise and lost power. Figured blew the belt due to mileage.

Got it home, removed clutch cover… ABSOLUTE DESTRUCTION!!! Barely a shred of belt to be seen, front clutch assembly looked fine, behind it… the splines that come from the crank were almost smooth. The inside clutch plate was missing a huge portion of the middle and was loose! See pictures. Dealer says they have never seen any like it! Appears the aluminum has melted away which would require temps in access of 1300F!!
Anyone ever had any issue close to this? Any ideas?
-Derek
Automotive tire Wood Style Black-and-white Tints and shades
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Wheel

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Appears to have had zero maintenance and you obviously didnt inspect the clutch before purchase. Wit’s that much damage who know what happened first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Appears to have had zero maintenance and you obviously didnt inspect the clutch before purchase. Wit’s that much damage who know what happened first.
I have a full set of dealer receipts from the previous owner of all the maintenance in the bike. It was last at the dealer not more than 6 weeks ago for the 3000K inspection and fluid changes.
I actually DID inspect the clutches before purchase. I brought a friend with me who is a UTV apprentice and works full time at a dealership. It’s not Can-Am but he knows his stuff. Clutches were clean and working fine!
Does your ZERO maintenance result in the splines being flattened and the aluminum of the clutch melting???
I had zero warning… no overheating of the machine, was my first real ride and was NOT pushing it or jumping it in the dunes!! Long standing dealership said they have NEVER seen anything like it! Right away today figured it was a catastrophic failure due to a factory defect.

just wondering if anyone else has seen or experienced. Engine is running fine… just no more clutch! Air intakes and breathers for clutch and engine are clean and fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’d bet the previous owner could explain it, but don’t get your hopes up. It’s a used recreational toy after all.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
looks like it was not shifting
and the belt stayed in a grove untill it got sawed in two
time to buy a new primary

as you found out the dealers are a joke!
if you were not a newbe you would have felt the clutches
were not working correctly
6 weeks is a long time between clutch check up
I recommend inspecting/cleaning after EVERY weekend ride

Reactions: Bucksaw

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a full set of dealer receipts from the previous owner of all the maintenance in the bike. It was last at the dealer not more than 6 weeks ago for the 3000K inspection and fluid changes.
I actually DID inspect the clutches before purchase. I brought a friend with me who is a UTV apprentice and works full time at a dealership. It’s not Can-Am but he knows his stuff. Clutches were clean and working fine!
Does your opioid ZERO maintenance result in the splines being flattened and the aluminum of the clutch melting???
I had zero warning… no overheating of the machine, was my first real ride and was NOT pushing it or jumping it in the dunes!! Long standing dealership said they have NEVER seen anything like it! Right away today figured it was a catastrophic failure due to a factory defect.

just wondering if anyone else has seen or experienced. Engine is running fine… just no more clutch! Air intakes and breathers for clutch and engine are clean and fine.
I did a thread on this recently. Long story short, the most likely cause was the secondary binding so the belt couldn't ride anywhere else on the primary. The machine has enough power there wasn't a noticeable loss of performance for the conditions we were riding in.
Clutch Guru’s, belt Aficionado’s, this is your thread.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Does your ZERO maintenance result in the splines being flattened and the aluminum of the clutch melting???

Receipts from a dealer are only good for toilet paper and to prove the old owner didn’t know squirt about that car.

and your apprentice buddy needs a better journeyman teacher. If you both would have opened the clutch cover and then started the engine while Revving it to inspect how it moves you would have seen something not right. For a clutch to eat itself that quick it doesn’t just happen in one ride it’s a maintenance issue.

these clutches need constant maintenance and some understanding g how they work or you will end up costing yourself $4000 US dollars/$10,000 Kanadian lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like it was not shifting
and the belt stayed in a grove untill it got sawed in two
time to buy a new primary

as you found out the dealers are a joke!
if you were not a newbe you would have felt the clutches
were not working correctly
6 weeks is a long time between clutch check up
I recommend inspecting/cleaning after EVERY weekend ride
Thanks for that info. I’ve had sleds and outdoor toys my whole life. First side by side. I was going to install the quick release system on my 2020 but they say it’s not water tight and we have lots of water on trails here. Constant inspection will be part of my post ride routine when I get it back. How many hours between inspections would you recommend?? It was less than 3 hours of ride time from when I purchased it and checked it and when it failed.
Should I be spraying the primary and secondary clutch slides with a product like Super Lube synthetic spray??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
Mega.....that right there is ingenious! Patent Pending quality...
Damn he can be a Mega AZZ sometimes but he's one smart Mega AZZ!

I'm always amazed at his ingenuity!!

Tim

Reactions: LBR

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
JMO, Rather than a shot of air at the clutch I like to get in there with a rubber nozzel up close in every crack and cranny, amazing what comes flying out, and keeps coming out for quite some time!

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Never saw a clutch like that! Hopefully I'll never see another one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good god! how do you not notice something like this before it gets to that point?! Its a cvt, you can't bury it in water and expect it to work! Unbelievable.
I realize you guys have a tough time with this, but after seeing the same kinda thing happen myself, I can assure you the clutches can go from visually perfect to totally F’d in just a few miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I realize you guys have a tough time with this, but after seeing the same kinda thing happen myself, I can assure you the clutches can go from visually perfect to totally F’d in just a few miles.
Yeah, I've seen them go from "OK" to full destruction in a few seconds when they let loose at speed, but this doesn't look like catastrophic instantaneous destruction. It looks more like the belt wasn't shifting on the primary as has been said which wore a right through the sheave. I would think this would be noticeable when running in N or P during inspection, not to mention a burned mark and groove. You can see the groove on the other side of the primary sheave that is still intact in the second picture which I doubt happened in a matter of minutes.. This looks more like a long-term issue that had some time on it to me. Just coincidence/bad luck it let go 2 hours after taking possession.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts