Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have there been any reports about the use of these in the 2020 models ? I'm interested to know if there has been any feedback on this. . good. . bad. . average. . slow. . ? ? ?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I’m not sure what you’re asking. Feedback on the smart lock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, please. I'm getting the 2020 XDS and wondering if the issues from the visco lok days have gone away and the new models are better. Doesn't seem to be a great deal of feedback on the 2020 models as yet, although I guess it's early days

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Xds rr has smart lock. Xds has visco. Smartlock came out on xrc and xmr in 2018. All except base models had it in 19. Now only the rr models get smart lock. I have an 18 xmr with it and I would not own one without it unless I was a dune guy then there’s really no need. One of the best locker systems out right behind Yamaha .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's good to hear, mine is the rr 😊 Thanks for the feedback. Any tips for using it and the Trail/Trail Active modes ?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
It works like any other 4wd system. You have to be a a certain rpm to engage and disengage . Other than that it’s simple

·
Registered
17 Posts
You CANNOT be moving when you select full lock or you will grenade your diff! You CAN be moving when you select smart mode ( trail / trail active ) but its best if your at a lower speed and not on the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
You CANNOT be moving when you select full lock or you will grenade your diff! You CAN be moving when you select smart mode ( trail / trail active ) but its best if your at a lower speed and not on the throttle.
Bullsh&6. You can. Did you grenade yours?

·
Registered
17 Posts
First time I activated full lock i was barely moving forward and it made some noises and popped a bit but didn't grenade. So I posted the question on this forum and was told by several people to not be moving when you go full lock. I followed the advice and have never had any horrid noises come from my diff since.Also, owners manual says to not be moving when you engage. I would love to hear from people who say they switch into full lock mode when moving! Anyone else besides Dizzledog???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I went back to my original post, and.... I was wrong about asking about going into full lock. I asked if going into 4x4 while moving was ok. And the answers were yes you can switch into 4x4 while moving. I never asked about going full lock while moving. Thinking back about it, I just guess I assumed that you cant be moving because when I tried I got the horrid noises, so I looked in the manual and it said to be stopped. So I guess Id still like to hear from several people who have switched to full locker with a smart lock diff while moving and had no issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have switched to full lock mode while moving. Key is to be going slow and no load on drive train I would think. That is on a 2020 XRC RR

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I don't use full Lock very much but have hit the button when moving many times with no issues. (Push the same momentary button to disengage Lock.) My manual says on pg 49 you can do this on the fly but must be stopped to switch between 2wd and 4wd. I see that Rock mode (in automatic/Smart-Lok but not necessarily full Lock) only works to about 12mph; I assume this means full Lock only works to 12mph too but I'm not sure.
Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm going to answer my own question now 😊 I've been using my 2020 X3 XDS RR since December now with some big days(100 miles+) and long and rough off road trips and conclude the smart lock is really great, and well worth having. Anywhere it's off the average flattish track it's into Trail Active. Much more positive steering, front end doesn't seem to jump around as much, it goes exactly where you point it. Great when driving fast in rutted slippery tracks or windy steep up and down rocky tracks. The extra HP is great too, really feel it grunting into it when the boot goes down:ROFLMAO: which is why I'm in 4WD all the time. In 2WD the back is always trying to catch up to the front :oops:;):ROFLMAO:The suspension feels better too, now, the ride height was put up to 14/15in (from 12in out of the box). And at the moment I've got the HSC and LSC wound right out (not touched rebound, it seems good) for the heavier rocky riverbeds we've been running lately, and I'm getting a nicer ride with few if any bottom outs. Overall I think it's a great piece of kit, better all round than my old 2017 XDS, and of course I've got 2yrs warranty ! YEEHAH

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Good to hear, I’m probably going to get one after they release the 21’s. See if they change anything, and maybe some good rebates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts