Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a couple of the new 2020 195hp X3's local to me are using oil. It appears they are using about a litre every 600 miles from new.

Has anyone else seen this also?

and if so, does anyone know what is causing this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure your starting, letting it run, shut off, let it set a min. then check. Ref manual.
Had the machines off for over 1 hour. I think this would be for not indicating on the dip stick an overfull situation. But thanks for the input, appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the machines off for over 1 hour. I think this would be for not indicating on the dip stick an overfull situation. But thanks for the input, appreciate it.
Just read the owners manual as suggested. I will try the manuals way and see if it's different. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That good old crankcase breather going into the intake, your not using oil per say, it's going into the intake and through the motor.
Catch can is the solution, in between the crankcase vent and intake port. Plenty of options and price points to make or buy a kit.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quite possible it was a bad break-in procedure. Search for 'break in'. You can break in the belt, or break in the motor. They aren't the same! You can sacrifice the motor and baby the belt. Or, sacrifice the belt and run the motor aggressively to get pressure behind the rings to seat properly and not burn oil or have blow-by from the crank/valve cover vent. The blow-buy is recirculated thru the turbo, the intercooler, the intake and into the motor to start over again. Ring break-in happens within the first few hours of run time. But, it may not be to late to run aggressively, AKA, drive it like you stole it. Get in, start it and ride. Keep idle to a minimum.
A catch can/water separator is always a good idea.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Over 2000 miles and we haven't used any except to change oil.
2020 RR XRC

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
748 Posts
Over 2000 miles and we haven't used any except to change oil.
2020 RR XRC

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics
I think Barbara knows how to drive and do a proper break in.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think Barbara knows how to drive and do a proper break in.
Drive it like you stole it..
We have had 4 Can Ams and they have all been broke in the same,
10,000 smiles on Rhintax, 5,600 smiles on 2011 Commander X, 11,000 smiles on 15 OG turbo..

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These aren't our first X3's and were broken in on the ECO keys for 1 and half days of riding. Cars are powerful and not blowing smoke, just using oil. Catch can idea is interesting here.

·
Registered
748 Posts
These aren't our first X3's and were broken in on the ECO keys for 1 and half days of riding. Cars are powerful and not blowing smoke, just using oil. Catch can idea is interesting here.
ECO is the wrong way to break in.
The oil is either leaking or burning. You may not see blowing smoke, but it is.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a reserve in the oil pan that holds oil for when the buggy is on side hills, running hard over bumps, etc. This oil drains down into the pan when cold so the oil stick will sow low until you warm (circulate) it up .

·
Registered
540 Posts
Would be curious to see the oil measured to see how much comes out when they do an oil change

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a reserve in the oil pan that holds oil for when the buggy is on side hills, running hard over bumps, etc. This oil drains down into the pan when cold so the oil stick will sow low until you warm (circulate) it up .
Interesting.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Is that in the manual? I haven't found it yet

·
Registered
540 Posts
Its a dry sump setup, only the reservoir is built in the cases vs. a seperate oil tank that you'd normally see. Hence the 2 drain plugs and the need to warm up the engine before checking the oil.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Its a dry sump setup, only the reservoir is built in the cases vs. a seperate oil tank that you'd normally see. Hence the 2 drain plugs and the need to warm up the engine before checking the oil.

True, but it should self level when shut off. Isn't the second drain plug to drain the oil filter?

·
Registered
540 Posts
True, but it should self level when shut off. Isn't the second drain plug to drain the oil filter?
Nope, drains to tank therefore no reading on dipstick. Dry sump models are always a pain to check. Warm up engine shut off wait 2 minutes, if you wait 3 you'll get a low reading lol.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The 900 ACE engine we have is in fact a dry sump. You will get false low oil readings if checking the oil cold or after sitting for longer than 5 minutes. Best to let it get to operating temp, turn it off, wait 1 minute and check the oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts