Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 5R E85 tuned 2020RR XRC and I am only pulling 7300rpm at 60mph under full throttle with the standard 6 weights in the primary. The tuner states I need to be clutched within 8000-8200rpm. The Buggy has 32" tyres standard.

What direction should I go with the clutching. I bought in 6 new weighted arms (adjustable) and a new primary spring, but found with the use of the new arms and spring without the extra weights inserted, that I am only getting 6600rpm now.

Do you have to run all six weighted arms? Mathematically, 4 of the new arms would work, weight wise. I assume that removing 2 arms would cause some belt issue or downshifting problem that I am not aware of.

Running all 6 standard arms doesn't get the rpm's up, even though they are lighter than the adjustable arms.

Help required.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
all the primary work in the world wont help
if your secondary is not shifting correctly
weak secondary spring will shift to fast keeping the gear ratio too high
also poor back shifts (down shift)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hi all, I have a 5R E85 tuned 2020RR XRC and I am only pulling 7300rpm at 60mph under full throttle with the standard 6 weights in the primary. The tuner states I need to be clutched within 8000-8200rpm. The Buggy has 32" tyres standard.

What direction should I go with the clutching. I bought in 6 new weighted arms (adjustable) and a new primary spring, but found with the use of the new arms and spring without the extra weights inserted, that I am only getting 6600rpm now.

Do you have to run all six weighted arms? Mathematically, 4 of the new arms would work, weight wise. I assume that removing 2 arms would cause some belt issue or downshifting problem that I am not aware of.

Running all 6 standard arms doesn't get the rpm's up, even though they are lighter than the adjustable arms.

Help required.
Something else is wrong....stock 2020 clutching is pretty solid. with the stock 30" tires on the xrs near perfect stock, so if your new e85 tune is what is supposed to be you should be at or above 8k during shiftout.

How many miles on your car? Elevation? Who's Tune? Stock Tires?

personally I'd put it back to stock and get some baseline runs. rolling start in 4wd on asphalt in Hi and sport mode and correct fast key...watch rpms 15-65-70mph WOT. Even with 32" liberties (assuming liberties) I'd expect upper 7's or 8.

After this is complete throw the tuning in and see what happens...If no extra rpms = no extra HP

Personally I'd leave clutching alone...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Something else is wrong....stock 2020 clutching is pretty solid. with the stock 30" tires on the xrs near perfect stock, so if your new e85 tune is what is supposed to be you should be at or above 8k during shiftout.

How many miles on your car? Elevation? Who's Tune? Stock Tires?

personally I'd put it back to stock and get some baseline runs. rolling start in 4wd on asphalt in Hi and sport mode and correct fast key...watch rpms 15-65-70mph WOT. Even with 32" liberties (assuming liberties) I'd expect upper 7's or 8.

After this is complete throw the tuning in and see what happens...If no extra rpms = no extra HP

Personally I'd leave clutching alone...
I have done the standard runs again. I didn't wish to explain everything to the internet, but did want some questions answered.

Anyway, I will answer your questions;

1040miles on car
Sea Level
Evo Stage 5R X85 255hp
Stock Liberty 32's
200lbs of accessories (tyre, Jack, S&B etc)
On stock tune and stock weights, 7300rpm at 60mph
On 5R X85 tune and 6 stock weights with 2400rpm primary spring, 7600rpm at 60mph
On 5R X85 tune and 6 stock weights with 2400rpm primary spring and aircleaner removed, 7600rpm at 60mph
On 5R X85 tune and 6 aftermarket weights with 2400rpm primary spring, 6600rpm at 60mph
On 5R X85 tune and 4 stock weights with 2400rpm primary spring, 8650rpm at 60mph.
My Maptuner log files show all runs are clean for ignition and voltage problems and the car will rev on the wrong setup as shown in the last run on 4 weights.

I see that someone said I need to be looking at the Secondary clutch setup:

Would you think a spring only, or a helix as well?

My maths tells me that 4 of my aftermarket weights will give me what I am looking for, but the question remains, can you run only 4 without drama or just go straight for the secondary clutch spring/helix question?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
what does 60 mph have to do with rpms
the purpose of a cvt is to keep rpms in the maximum torque/hp range at all speeds
so at 60mph you floor it what happens is whats important
at any speed when you are WOT your at peak performance

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
612 Posts
Don’t run only 4 weights. How much do the adjustable weights weigh in grams? Stock RR clutching allows the belt to slip if you don’t replace the helix.

Time for a KWI X250 Kit with the helix IMO.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Who's adjustable clutch arms are they.
Do they have the same profile as your stock arms probably not. Also with adjustable weights there's the placement of the weight that also makes a big difference to. That's another topic.
The Helix ramp on the 2020 is different from the old cars to.
I would change that secondary spring out to a stiffer spring also.
We like to turn 8300 on the hill. Seems like the cars happy right there. A lot of people like to say ohh the Dyno shows the power falling off at 7800 blah blah blah.
Have no problems beating up on big Turbo guys that spent Big money lol. So that's my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
if you have tuned your machine, and with stock weights are only turning 7300RPM then you have a power problem not a clutch problem.

first look at data logs and look at commanded timing vs actual timing, then look at commanded TPS vs actual TPS. then if those check out swap the belt. as odd as it might sound i had a customer call me two weekends ago at the sand drags, machine had just left here two days prior and was running absolutely out of this world amazing. first few sand drags he was killin everybody, then out of nowhere it started losing power. lost a lot of RPM, would only pull 7200-7300 WOT. they drained the tank, changed fuel, changed plugs, swapped map sensors with another machine, reflashed the tune back into the ecu again, nothing worked. They called me and i walked them thru adjusting the weights to lower the overall mass to increase RPM, it didnt work and someone at the dunes told them to remove 2 weights. I said absolutely not, dont remove 2 weights, but they did anyway and only picked up to 7600RPM.

as a last ditch effort they put a new belt on, and it went to 8800 rev limiter the first pass. put the weights back to where they were, and boom all was well in the world and power was back to normal and they continued running the whole weekend.

a flat spot burned on the belt, can trigger the knock sensor, and the ECU will pull power thinking you are detonating. no matter of weight changes could get the RPM up, because the ECU was continually pulling more and more power closing the throttlebody more to hold you at a max of 7200RPM. only after they removed two whole weights did they get past the ECUs ability to pull power to see an RPM increase.

consensus, swap belt, try again.

you need 6 weights installed

if you have a reflash on an X3 2020 RR and the stock weights dont hold you above 8000RPM then you have a power problem not a clutch problem. a 2020RR with a reflash, and stock clutching, will hold 8000+ RPM. anything lower means you have a power issue, not a clutch issue. i dont mean on a sand hill climb it bog below 8000, that is clutching, but flat ground running WOT, stock clutch, and 2020RR reflashed, RPM is 8000+

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
what exhaust,? what belt? you upgrade the fuel pump?

my 20' car with same tune w/ KWI clutching at 5000' hits 82-8300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question...but since the 2020 XRC RR has 32’s stock does that make a couple hundred RPM difference compared to say the RS with the 30’s? Just trying to make sure all things equal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts