Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently purchased a tune. I also purchased a cat delete. Tune was fine. I added the delete and it all started. The cat delete has caused exhaust fumes to come in the cab. Variation in tune doesn't affect it. Letting off gas after a steady speed enhances this. I do have windshields but have opened the vents\varied, etc. For opinion, is it the rear exhaust that is coming back to the cab, or is it the fact the cat delete doesn't use a donut? There is no leak at the turbo that I can tell. Muffler\cat junction seems ok. I have considered having a tail pipe made that extends low and close to the ground. I hate to remove the cat delete and gain all that heat back. I realize what a cat con does, so it may be possible the fumes were always there just not so strong or rich as they were being burned off. Just hard to believe thats the case. Appreciate any experience here. Maybe I am overlooking something.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You are right in thinking that the cat delete caused you to notice the smell. Whatever chemical in the exhaust that causes the smell was burned off by the cat.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I would drive it and see if it goes away. I never noticed it on mine but others said they did after delete. I just bought a piece of pipe , cut the car out and welded in new piece. Other bought the delete pipe and said they could smell fumes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, skid plate untouched. I have driven it about 150 miles. So far the same. I street ride only.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you re install the thin gasket at the cat pipe turbo connection? It’s easy to lose it after disassembled. It is also easy to not get the two pieces to mate correctly. I had windshield,rear window, and tune on last machine and never experienced any fumes
I also have cat delete and tune on my RR and no fumes at all. No windshield on this one though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The directions said don't re-use the gasket. But I tried it both ways. No difference. Right now, no gasket. Was on several calls with vendor and finally gave up. The connection did obviously leak at first so the manufacturer sent me a new clamp. No "obvious" leak now. I have had this apart at that connection point probably 10 times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the negative air pressure. Never happened before. But opening 4 vents would cure it, and it doesn't. Should I plug the skid holes?? Is that what solves it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Its brand new of course. But, I cant feel anything if there is. Not a real easy way to check other than obvious blow out.

Issue only happens when moving. Parked is fine.

·
Registered
682 Posts
YES, plug the holes with 1 1/2 shipping tube end caps, available on ebay for cheap. And, you NEED a solid rear window to block the backdraft, not a screen/mesh.

Reactions: JediIke

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I was talking to my friend yesterday and he mentioned when following my X3 and a few others in the group that do not have the Cat they emit way more fumes than the X3s with the Cat.

I bet if you remove the rear windscreen you won't smell it in the cab.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought the smell was normal:unsure: I have the cat and muffler delete pipe with vp fuel and it's pretty stinky in the cab.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,
I recently purchased a tune. I also purchased a cat delete. Tune was fine. I added the delete and it all started. The cat delete has caused exhaust fumes to come in the cab. Variation in tune doesn't affect it. Letting off gas after a steady speed enhances this. I do have windshields but have opened the vents\varied, etc. For opinion, is it the rear exhaust that is coming back to the cab, or is it the fact the cat delete doesn't use a donut? There is no leak at the turbo that I can tell. Muffler\cat junction seems ok. I have considered having a tail pipe made that extends low and close to the ground. I hate to remove the cat delete and gain all that heat back. I realize what a cat con does, so it may be possible the fumes were always there just not so strong or rich as they were being burned off. Just hard to believe thats the case. Appreciate any experience here. Maybe I am overlooking something.
... When did you put the windshield in? Around the time you did the cat delete?
On my 1st Maverick in ‘13, when I installed a windshield I literally got a bad headache from the exhaust fumes on my nest ride. That’s when I learned that if you do a front windscreen, then you also have to do a rear windscreen to prevent the exhaust gases from rolling into the cockpit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would check for exhaust leaks. Look for any black soot (unleaded fuel) or gray soot (leaded fuel). There is also a richer smell when the CAT is removed because the it's no longer there to clean up the emissions you are now spewing (and causing global warming, LOL) And yes, if the air is not flowing through the cab, the wake of air behind your car is going to shove it in from the back (ala Ford Explorer issues). Maybe try one of those 12V oscillating fans you put on the dash of your truck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I tried plugging the holes underneath with tape to test. No luck. I put the Cat back on and wallah....all clean now. I hated to do that. But no issues now. So I have a cat delete for sale now. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks! I tried plugging the holes underneath with tape to test. No luck. I put the Cat back on and wallah....all clean now. I hated to do that. But no issues now. So I have a cat delete for sale now. :)
I believe you STILL have exhaust, (AKA carbon monoxide) coming in the cab, just now, thru the cat, you don't smell it. The windshield, vented or otherwise, creates a vortex that brings exhaust and/or dust into the cab from the rear. A solid or flexible back plastic window is needed to divert the vortex. And not a mesh screen.

The vortex 'may' be changed if using a bed box, ice chest or other rear modifications.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts