Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hmmm kinda looks like Kawasaki built a polaris 1000XP and added a couple of hundred pounds because weight is not important in naturally aspirated cars.
I am not sure of what market they are going after. It's too wide for most of the trails in the east and underpowered for the desert. Honda and Yamaha made the exact same mistake and that will sort itself out when either POPO or CanAm release a DCT car. Look at it this way for 2k-4k more you get a lighter car and 60"+ more HP. Anyone who says that doesn't matter already owns a X3 or a Turbo S. Or for 2-5k less you can have the same HP rating and a DCT (take a look at YXZ or Talon pricing next time you go into a multiline dealer).
Cool looking car but nothing really awe inspiring to see.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Price point and/or dealer support will make or break it.

When Honda released it's PWC only a hand full of Honda dealers could sell them. Not too many people know that. Most Honda MC dealers couldn't sell nor service them.
It's part of many other reasons of what killed the Honda PWC.
I can understand why someone on here mentioned that when Honda released the Talon. It can be a BFD when you need Dealer support.

Kawasaki restricts what Kawi dealers can sell their Jet Ski's as well.
We bought a couple 310 HP Jet Skis and a month later our Kawai dealer lost the PWC line and we had no place almost within 2 hours to get them serviced or warrantied. The one dealer that did has a 100% turn over in mechanics and service writers every 60 days. Horrible to deal with. Known for the phrase "Where Customers go to Die". Like Sand Shark, we went through the same drama he did.

A greeter at Walmart one week, a mechanic the next.
I believe ya take it back where ya bought it for issues and service and Honda and Kawai can lay down on you.
I think we are fortunate in that there are several dealers of the various brands all within a hour or less drive.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Hmmm kinda looks like Kawasaki built a polaris 1000XP and added a couple of hundred pounds because weight is not important in naturally aspirated cars.
I am not sure of what market they are going after. It's too wide for most of the trails in the east and underpowered for the desert. Honda and Yamaha made the exact same mistake and that will sort itself out when either POPO or CanAm release a DCT car. Look at it this way for 2k-4k more you get a lighter car and 60"+ more HP. Anyone who says that doesn't matter already owns a X3 or a Turbo S. Or for 2-5k less you can have the same HP rating and a DCT (take a look at YXZ or Talon pricing next time you go into a multiline dealer).
The trails it is too wide for those people will be in a 50 or 60" wide model anyway, so they are not going after that crowd. Most trail systems at this point you can get a 72" wide model and certainly a 68" wide model.

Polaris still sells a ton of the XP1000 and the Japanese manufactures are content in going after that market. It makes no sense to us that ride in the dunes or the desert. I would guess the numbers make more sense for them in the non-turbo market.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Yeah in Utah on the forest service a lot of the trails have been increased to 66” trails. The 72” machines fit on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
the weight is a necessity. look at the RG built wildcats, they are heavy pigs. same as the new Polaris XPpro. these trailing arm machines work better when they are heavy. a heavy machine resists change to its inertia. the same reason a trophy truck is built so heavy. everyone who has ever tried to build a light one has ditched it for a heavy one the next time. the heavier a machine is, the more it will fly straight. a 6000lb truck or a 2000lb UTV has a resistance to change its moving inertia, meaning the machine is propelling itself forward, and the suspension is forced to soak up and absorb the bumps because the weight of the machine wont allow it to bounce all around. with a 2000lb UTV you will feel more stable, and planted, and when running thru bumps an whoops at speed the machine will feel more flat, while the suspension cycles below you doing its job rather than bouncing the machine around kicking the back end up. the heavier the vehicle is, the more the suspension is forced to work, and you get a much better ride out of it.

the RG Speedcat that was available only thru select dealers as a turn key race car, was 2200lbs and turbo, and i can tell you from experience driving it, it is by far the most stable UTV on the market. sliding sideways around corners at 60+mph and hitting whoops sideways, would send any other machine bouncing out of whack, but the RG Speedcat soaks it up and you can drive one handed. whoops are no match, off camber ditches at speed, zero problem, cross ruts, barely even feel them. the heavier machine wont bounce around, this forces the suspension to cycle and do its job rather than bounce the car all around.

while most see this as stupid and idiotic, i suspect from this release they have just shown me that this isnt where they plan to stay. this "platform" will handle a 5" longer wheelbase with suspension changes, and the engine cradle will support pretty much anything they wanna shove in there, and this "platform" may be home to a 300hp machine within the next few years when they decide to jump into the HP wars game.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
the weight is a necessity. look at the RG built wildcats, they are heavy pigs. same as the new Polaris XPpro. these trailing arm machines work better when they are heavy. a heavy machine resists change to its inertia. the same reason a trophy truck is built so heavy. everyone who has ever tried to build a light one has ditched it for a heavy one the next time. the heavier a machine is, the more it will fly straight. a 6000lb truck or a 2000lb UTV has a resistance to change its moving inertia, meaning the machine is propelling itself forward, and the suspension is forced to soak up and absorb the bumps because the weight of the machine wont allow it to bounce all around. with a 2000lb UTV you will feel more stable, and planted, and when running thru bumps an whoops at speed the machine will feel more flat, while the suspension cycles below you doing its job rather than bouncing the machine around kicking the back end up. the heavier the vehicle is, the more the suspension is forced to work, and you get a much better ride out of it.

the RG Speedcat that was available only thru select dealers as a turn key race car, was 2200lbs and turbo, and i can tell you from experience driving it, it is by far the most stable UTV on the market. sliding sideways around corners at 60+mph and hitting whoops sideways, would send any other machine bouncing out of whack, but the RG Speedcat soaks it up and you can drive one handed. whoops are no match, off camber ditches at speed, zero problem, cross ruts, barely even feel them. the heavier machine wont bounce around, this forces the suspension to cycle and do its job rather than bounce the car all around.

while most see this as stupid and idiotic, i suspect from this release they have just shown me that this isnt where they plan to stay. this "platform" will handle a 5" longer wheelbase with suspension changes, and the engine cradle will support pretty much anything they wanna shove in there, and this "platform" may be home to a 300hp machine within the next few years when they decide to jump into the HP wars game.
Weight really only matters in the sand where hp gets robbed.

I do think of all the Japanese manufactures Kawi would be the one to make a factory super charged or turbo model. I would think the next model for them would be a 4 seater. Then maybe in a year or two offer a high hp model.

I do want to drive one just to see how it handles.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Too wide? I live in the east and we all ride 72” machines. People cry about “tight east coast trails” but in reality these machines go wherever a smaller one does. Now I’m sure there’s some northern guys that will have restrictions, but that’s just a few states most of which I would never visit anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think we are fortunate in that there are several dealers of the various brands all within a hour or less drive.
Just around us in Florence, Oregon Can Am added to new dealers in 19..
Just within 90 miles we have 5 different dealers whereas 4 years ago we had 2
And the one in Florence was/is the #1 dealer for Polaris in the PNW. And said he would never add Can Am.. guess what they did in Jan of 19..
That's where we got ours.

They started with Yamaha, then added Polaris now they added Can Am.

They just purchased a new building and storage in Florence also, because of expansion.

Barbara
Sent from BLR Logistics

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey guys..... soooo..... i found this video.... and.... ummm..... wow its slow....

to put this into perspective, this machine is slower in acceleration tests, than a 80hp commander was in 2010. i dont think many people did a lot of acceleration tests back then but i did make a video for the first one i got to play with. timing this new kawie in its acceleration, versus this 2010 commander, the 80hp commander was faster 0-70 than this kawie is 10-60. this thing is a slug. videos below for comparison.

·
Registered
683 Posts
a tune aint gonna make it much faster. so what if it picks up 4-8hp in a tune. its an NA machine, not a terbski. at best it might pick up a few mph and maybe shave a little time off the acceleration. but the 77hp 2012 wildcat with a wet clutch and the 2011 commander both appear to be considerably quicker than this. yes this is their first entry i understand, but to get into todays poker game you gotta bring a hand full of chips to the table. this is slower than a 75 hp 2012 Rzr 900 in acceleration AND top speed. slower than a 77-80hp 2011 commander in acceleration and top speed. slower than a 74hp 2012 Wildcat in acceleration and top speed. i have videos of before and after of the RZR 900, commander, and Wildcat and box stock all of them were faster in rate of acceleration and top speed. yes this machine is a tad on the heavy side but holey moley its slow as crap

might as well call it a mule on steroids

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
a tune aint gonna make it much faster. so what if it picks up 4-8hp in a tune. its an NA machine, not a terbski. at best it might pick up a few mph and maybe shave a little time off the acceleration. but the 77hp 2012 wildcat with a wet clutch and the 2011 commander both appear to be considerably quicker than this. yes this is their first entry i understand, but to get into todays poker game you gotta bring a hand full of chips to the table. this is slower than a 75 hp 2012 Rzr 900 in acceleration AND top speed. slower than a 77-80hp 2011 commander in acceleration and top speed. slower than a 74hp 2012 Wildcat in acceleration and top speed. i have videos of before and after of the RZR 900, commander, and Wildcat and box stock all of them were faster in rate of acceleration and top speed. yes this machine is a tad on the heavy side but holey moley its slow as crap

might as well call it a mule on steroids
My guess is it has a speed limiter on it keeping it to 68, unless they geared it super low. The 900 should out accelerate it as it ways significantly less.

If that is all that thing has it is a dud for the desert.

I saw a post from someone that drove the Kawi and he said the acceleration was similar to the other non-turbo sports models.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Hey guys..... soooo..... i found this video.... and.... ummm..... wow its slow....

to put this into perspective, this machine is slower in acceleration tests, than a 80hp commander was in 2010. i dont think many people did a lot of acceleration tests back then but i did make a video for the first one i got to play with. timing this new kawie in its acceleration, versus this 2010 commander, the 80hp commander was faster 0-70 than this kawie is 10-60. this thing is a slug. videos below for comparison.

Did the guy in the Kawi video have it in the right power mode? The Kawi has two power modes. If he did not have it in full power mode maybe that is why it was a slug and low top end speed.

https://www.kawasaki.com/sidexside/teryx/teryx-2-passenger-sport/Teryx-KRX-1000?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-MPP

41 - 60 of 76 Posts