·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Interesting

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
weights dont create clunk in the clutch, the clunking comes from the secondary helix loading and unloading against the rollers. going from a dead stop to acceleration, or on decelleration back to acceleration, the helix can and will load / unload the face of the helix against the roller in the secondary. this is the clunking sound. the new machine has a new helix, the angles are slightly different, but this also isnt going to cause more or less clunking. some machines are better than others, some clunk a fair bit, some dont at all. there is a torsion spring in the secondary that is trying to put a load against the helix to always keep the helix pressed against the roller. in theory it works, sometimes you still get a little clunk. the new inner shield in the cover is for air flow and air velocity into and thru the clutch cover. if there is a noticable difference in sound, i would start looking towards the rest of the ducting, where its placed, whether or not there are additional vents or ducts or shields in this area. the outer cover "insert" does not effect the noise behind your head in the cab.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Looks like a pressed felt piece, like they use for a hood liner in a regular car, just molded to fit the cover, I ride with full headsets, so machine noises aren’t really a thing for me.

but, a short trip without the headsets on, and I’m always surprised at how much banging from the suspension, and how loud the exhaust is.

For the suspension noise i’m Convinced that we hear the crossover rings slamming into the spring divider over every single bump.

Has as anyone pointed the clutch intakes backwards, or higher up so they don’t just megaphone to the back of your head?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
weights dont create clunk in the clutch, the clunking comes from the secondary helix loading and unloading against the rollers. going from a dead stop to acceleration, or on decelleration back to acceleration, the helix can and will load / unload the face of the helix against the roller in the secondary. this is the clunking sound. the new machine has a new helix, the angles are slightly different, but this also isnt going to cause more or less clunking. some machines are better than others, some clunk a fair bit, some dont at all. there is a torsion spring in the secondary that is trying to put a load against the helix to always keep the helix pressed against the roller. in theory it works, sometimes you still get a little clunk. the new inner shield in the cover is for air flow and air velocity into and thru the clutch cover. if there is a noticable difference in sound, i would start looking towards the rest of the ducting, where its placed, whether or not there are additional vents or ducts or shields in this area. the outer cover "insert" does not effect the noise behind your head in the cab.
This is almost word for word what airdam said in another post ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
That material in there is for noise, they put it on all the sleds side panels to quiet them down, we usually rip it out as it also builds heat.. I don't notice the clutch noise you guys are talking about, yes some noise but not annoying clutch noises?? but I've been around cvt setups since I was 12 so maybe I'm just used to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So i can use X3 2020 clutch cover on my 2018 X3 xrs thats good, because befor a few days the belt broken the inner and outer cover, better to wait and get 2020 clutch cover

·
Registered
895 Posts
SO fwiw, i put 2 of the new clutch covers on different machines, 2017 2 seat xrs and 2019 xrs max
both have the clutch inlet relocation. the biggest difference i noticed was the 5000 rpm rattle screaming noise was ALOT better. I felt that in low range about 7 or 8 mph the thing sounded like it was gonna blow. its quiet now.
the clutch intake relocation (one i built and one came from adrenaline) is a much bigger difference on total volume but the 5000 rpm thing is soooo much better now that i think both items are the way to go.
side note...one machine has a kwi clutch setup and the other has an ibexx kit and both clear the inner noise dampener just fine. i had to use a couple well nuts?? they cilp on and have threads in them and a couple torx head bolts i had lying around

·
Registered
931 Posts
I looked on Can Am website it shows the lining as a separate part, but that might not retrofit to the older cover. Even if you need the new cover complete, if the lining gets damaged it might be serviceable.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I will be interested to see how the liner holds up to a belt letting go. That just looks like a whole lot of mess to get into everything when it all comes lose with a belt whipping the crap out of it. I think less is more!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts