Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 x3 turbo rr with smart lock. So the service smart lock came on the other day when I was stuck in a hole. Here is how it all played out and what I have tried

I hit a mud hole and had to put it in diff lock only had the passenger side tire was pulling. Got home jacked it up off all 4 tires and started trying to trouble shoot. All the axels feel fine, put it in smart lock you can hear the drive shaft click in but once you hit the gas no movement in the front tires. Next I put it in diff lock, I hear the front diff click in mash the gas and only the passenger side tire pulls. As soon as I spun the driver side tire by hand in diff lock you could hear the diff disengage but still showed it was engaged on display. So I disengaged it and then put it back in diff lock, went to the passenger side spun the tire and it spun the with the back two. I’m trying to figure out what it is before I snatch the diff out. Any help would be greatly appreciate

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. You could have snapped the axle? They usually break at the c clip groove inside the diff. Jack up your car and pull on the axle, don't turn it. If you get play, and it comes out a little, probably snapped. You'll need to remove the tire / wheel, take the axle out of the spindle and see if it totally comes out.

Reactions: Trey Stewart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2020 x3 turbo rr with smart lock. So the service smart lock came on the other day when I was stuck in a hole. Here is how it all played out and what I have tried

I hit a mud hole and had to put it in diff lock only had the passenger side tire was pulling. Got home jacked it up off all 4 tires and started trying to trouble shoot. All the axels feel fine, put it in smart lock you can hear the drive shaft click in but once you hit the gas no movement in the front tires. Next I put it in diff lock, I hear the front diff click in mash the gas and only the passenger side tire pulls. As soon as I spun the driver side tire by hand in diff lock you could hear the diff disengage but still showed it was engaged on display. So I disengaged it and then put it back in diff lock, went to the passenger side spun the tire and it spun the with the back two. I’m trying to figure out what it is before I snatch the diff out. Any help would be greatly appreciate
Welcome from Tucson AZ. You could have snapped the axle? They usually break at the c clip groove inside the diff. Jack up your car and pull on the axle, don't turn it. If you get play, and it comes out a little, probably snapped. You'll need to remove the tire / wheel, take the axle out of the spindle and see if it totally comes out.
I pulled on the axel and it didn’t feel like it was broke but I guess if anything I can just pull it to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I didn't see that you drained the front diff. That is a great way to see if there is something broken, chunks will be stuck to the drain plug magnet. I have broke 2 front diffs and both times it is a side gear that breaks teeth off. If caught early enough you can fix. If let go too long its time for a new diff. I put a 2022 in my 2020 xrs rr, rumor is that its stronger but no way to varify that.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
It is possible the axle or there is a little gear I think a planetary gear that can strip out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts