Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

2020 800 dps knocking noise

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Hollywood X3 
#1 ·
We took our maverick out for its first trip and after a half day of riding it started making an intermittent knocking noise in the front middle. Sounds like maybe a drive train clamp that is loose as it periodically bangs on the drive train.

I've never worked on a side by side as I'm used to my dirt bikes so I thought that I would just drop the skip plate to look at what is going on. To my surprise, the skid plate is held on with what appears to be a bunch of rivets? Is the only way to view the drive train to drill out all the rivets? If so, how do you hold the skid plate back on?

Anybody else had issue with a periodic banging noise? Sounds like metal against metal.

Also, is the warranty 6 months? I can't seem to find anything about the warranty. If 6 months I'm within days should I decide to take this in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#3 ·
There are plenty of threads on drilling the rivets, and replacing with rivnuts. The knocking could be your sway bar link, either loose or broken. Yes 6 months warranty is standard.

#8 ·
Hell if can’t take the little bit of trailing I’ve done in 12 hours, it will be broke before Christmas!
Welcome to the world of SXSs! You need to do maintenance. That and the fact that the QC Dept down in Mexico doesn't always get the job done. Members have found loose or missing bolts, extra parts, etc. How are your sway bar links? Are they tight, or need to be tightened?

#9 ·
Welcome to the world of SXSs! You need to do maintenance. That and the fact that the QC Dept down in Mexico doesn't always get the job done. Members have found loose or missing bolts, extra parts, etc. How are your sway bar links? Are they tight, or need to be tightened?
The links are fine
It’s the bar itself sliding back and forth in the mounts that’s make the noise
Maintenance? I haven’t even ran a tank of gas through the POS! I would think I need to clean the air filter before shit starts breaking down?

#12 ·
It makes a definite clunk when sliding side to side
I see some sway bar stop clamps online for the rear, but can’t find any for the front? Thinking they would help and maybe some better mounts. Not sure first belt driven toy! that clunks and rattles! The YZ250’s never gave me such a fuss?

#15 ·
You were right! Passenger side link to A arm loose!
Im thinking I want to replace the bushings on the bar mounts. Not finding anything on the ole inter web though. Unless you replace the whole kit & caboodle
Thanks for the help!
I’m a carpenter not a mechanic
It takes me a minute to get aquatinted with a new machine
I’m still thinking greasing the pig before every ride though. Can never have too much Lubrication!
Want to be able to hit “It “@ a 45 degree angle and still drop in!

#16 ·
Not my first rodeo, and I always try to help! Glad to do so! Here's another hint, try driving it without the front sway bar connected. See if you like the articulation more than stock. Just totally disconnect one link.

#17 ·
I like the way it handles now?

ive had this beast down a rutted washed road in the desert at 85-90 and I couldn’t imagine it any more loose in the sway department.
I may change my mind after my 1st trip to Glamis?
Stupid fun though!! I have to admit
Never been much of a cart guy
But this is stupid fun with the Turbo and suspension at high speeds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.