Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMG_2512.jpeg IMG_2543.jpeg 57023783953__6FF101B1-12D4-4784-8CBF-E9A48CD955D6.jpeg Just took delivery of a brand new 2019 Maverick X3 max RS and the check engine light turn on a went to limp mode on its first mile. I called the dealership and they sent the driver back, who was only 10 mins away to pick up the vehicle. I was told that the newer units were shipped with grease around the spark plugs and that was the cause of the issue. I was guaranteed that this was all that it was. I had it returned quickly in about 5 days. Took it out the next weekend and had the same check engine and limp mode return at 30 miles. I honestly do not trust this unit anymore and want a different vehicle. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation. Thanks..

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Take it to another dealer your dealer in incompetent and finding and fixing the issue. Did you check all the hoses from intake through turbo into inner cooler and to engine? Did you pull the airfilter, some have found plastic bag material in there from assembly. Has the crack pressure been checked at turbo?

All of these items have been discussed here on the new units, use the search function and read you will end up knowing 100x more than any dealer you take you car to after the knowledge you gain.

Yes it sucks you have to educate yourself, but the dealers have NO CLUE at all.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I know it's a sad situation of QC and one shouldn't have to deal with these issues right out of the box to where it can be really frustrating. The computer is pretty sensitive to anything off where it will throw it into limp mode. Depending on the dealer they might work a swap but doubtful. More than likely the issues will be worked out eventually and you will have a dependable ride. Just stay on top of your dealer and befriend the service manager.
Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
somethings possibly unplugged or a loose battery terminal? blocked or missing air filter? Did they pull the check engine code? Nice that they cleaned the plugs but that obviously wasn't the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have had a saying for years that “New doesn’t mean it’s any good it only means it hasn’t been used before”. It sucks but you have to “noodle”through it. Good luck. It will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Bummer. Sucks to get a new ride and not enjoy it. I'd try and figure it out yourself. Could be very simple and beats leaving it at the dealer for days on in.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Find a new / better dealer, and hopefully you'll get results. It's under warranty.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
View attachment 230559 View attachment 230557 View attachment 230555 Just took delivery of a brand new 2019 Maverick X3 max RS and the check engine light turn on a went to limp mode on its first mile. I called the dealership and they sent the driver back, who was only 10 mins away to pick up the vehicle. I was told that the newer units were shipped with grease around the spark plugs and that was the cause of the issue. I was guaranteed that this was all that it was. I had it returned quickly in about 5 days. Took it out the next weekend and had the same check engine and limp mode return at 30 miles. I honestly do not trust this unit anymore and want a different vehicle. Any suggestions on how to handle this situation. Thanks..
Make sure they change out the spark plugs with new ones without being dipped in the white paste. Cleaning the spark plugs will not fix the issue. That paste is a pain in the ass to get off. It's $30 for new spark plugs make the dealer replace them with new ones.

Nice to see the idiots at the assembly plant are still dipping spark plugs.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
somethings possibly unplugged or a loose battery terminal? blocked or missing air filter? Did they pull the check engine code? Nice that they cleaned the plugs but that obviously wasn't the issue.
It is the spark plugs. He probably has misfire codes. The dealer just tried to wipe the paste off and did not do a good job cleaning them.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
It is the spark plugs. He probably has misfire codes. The dealer just tried to wipe the paste off and did not do a good job cleaning them.
you would think its cheaper to replace the plugs then to clean them and risk getting that white crap on the electrode. They prob spent $50 to clean them!!!

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Why in the hell do they dip the plugs?
because the engine is built to watercraft specs, so guessing potential corrosion from moisture in a jet ski is why they load them up. That's my best guess

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure they change out the spark plugs with new ones without being dipped in the white paste. Cleaning the spark plugs will not fix the issue. That paste is a pain in the ass to get off. It's $30 for new spark plugs make the dealer replace them with new ones.

Nice to see the idiots at the assembly plant are still dipping spark plugs.
Thanks for the heads up, they are picking up the unit today. Hopefully I will get new information today. I will mention replacing plugs, it that is the issue again. Frustrating.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, they are picking up the unit today. Hopefully I will get new information today. I will mention replacing plugs, it that is the issue again. Frustrating.
I dealt with the issue when I got my X3. They tried to tell me it was a belt issue even after I pulled the spark plugs and showed them pictures of the white paste all over the electrodes. This is a very common issue. My friend's dad works at a dealership and units comeback all the time for the spark plugs.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Why in the hell do they dip the plugs?
The assembly people do not know how to put a small amount on the threads. Mine looked like it was dipped in the stuff. It comes out the sides as they tread them in and the spark plug hole is caked with it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
When I needed to remove my plugs to re-gap I decided to just put new ones in because of the stories of the white paste issue. I must have got lucky as mine basically had no white paste on them. They looked very good for motor with ~800 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
The assembly people do not know how to put a small amount on the threads. Mine looked like it was dipped in the stuff. It comes out the sides as they tread them in and the spark plug hole is caked with it.
Might be different shifts, or people? When I pulled my plugs to re-gap them, there was some, but it definitely wasn't overloaded.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Might be different shifts, or people? When I pulled my plugs to re-gap them, there was some, but it definitely wasn't overloaded.
It’s for sure hit or miss on the paste. Just sucks they can’t get all the assembly people to do it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts