Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got 4 point harness off a 2019 X3 to install on my 2020 x3. The harness doesn't lock in unless you pull it up or pull down on the belt .... if you lean forward never locks.. I figured the retractor has to be mounted so the belt comes out the top but 2019 (or is it 2018) harness comes out at the same lvl with the passenger shoulder because they way the stock seats opening guides the harness. Am I installing it wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Not sure if you installed it wrong, but IMO, ditch them and go buy real harnesses. You'll be better off.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
71 Posts
Retractable harnesses? They are not supposed to lock unless you have an impact. The whole point of them is so that you can still lean forward in normal circumstances.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The locking reel will only lock with centrifugal force, like when you tug on it quickly, just like in your passenger car. In the event of a sudden braking force or impact they will lock up properly. Many dislike and don’t trust them but that style has been used in aviation for years with countless pilot’s lives saved. If you feel it’s not enough protection, like the post above stated, get a set of 4 or 5 point harnesses that were designed for racing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a buddy with a 2020 RC with these. He got into a head on collision with another utv and these harnesses did their job. It totaled his x3

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The locking reel will only lock with centrifugal force, like when you tug on it quickly, just like in your passenger car. In the event of a sudden braking force or impact they will lock up properly. Many dislike and don’t trust them but that style has been used in aviation for years with countless pilot’s lives saved. If you feel it’s not enough protection, like the post above stated, get a set of 4 or 5 point harnesses that were designed for racing.
I got them because I like not having to adjust it every time ( we change seats often). It's just if i pull it suddenly doesnt lock unless I tilt it up or down which is not natural with passenger position. Was wondering if the installing brackets were either higher or lower on previous X3 models. Like the regular seat belt , the belt has to anchor higher than your shoulder to allow locking when sudden forced applied. Maybe I overthink it. The guy above said they work fine in his friends '20

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
71 Posts
Drive over some hard bumps and try to lean forward. You will see that they work as intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts