Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide which way to go with a tune. I don’t see myself getting in too deep. I won’t be changing injectors, gutting the cat, changing the BOV, messing with clutching.….

I am guessing I want to go to the Turbo RR point and maybe a few HP more if possible. Should I send my ECU out, buy a PV3 , deal with AA, or another tuner? I am running 30x10x14 now and don’t see myself going bigger. I trail ride on hard pack . I have 93 octane available everywhere I ride.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Whalen WS200 will get you at or above RR power. I have the older version WS170. My 2018 Turbo R runs better in every way. You will notice a substantial increase in power, especially in the low to midrange, that is very controllable. There is no downside. You should also tune the clutch when you increase power. I have KWI cltching in mine with the Float Mod. The results speak for themselves.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
16,099 Posts
IMO, clutching before the tune. Don't think for a second your clutch is perfect / great. There's more in there. Definitely recommend KWI Clutching. Kris knows his stuff!

·
Registered
539 Posts
i just got an aftermarket assassins stage 1 and 2 and am happy with them. i didnt do any clutching but know it could benefit, even stock as hollywood and others say. flashing and ripping are slick and easy to do. i actually flipped it back for last weekend when i knew i was just going to be putting around with my dog up on the rear rack and didnt need the extra.

it is definitely a seat of the pants feel at 17-18psi of boost.

steve

·
Premium Member
2018 Maverick X3RC Turbo R
95 Posts
I second the WS200. Super easy install and tons of gains, I installed it about 2 months ago and the car straight rips compared to stock.
I haven’t done any clutching yet and am running 33’s, I know it needs to be done. It’s just $$$
2018X3XRC turbo R by the way

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
the pv3 is a sweet tool to have
clearing error codes could save a vacation
it comes with all the whalen tunes and others

·
Registered
600 Posts
My 21 Turbo R has a whalen tune that makes a claimed 217hp at the crank (WS200), it completely transformed the car. Going from 172 to 217 is a massive difference. Drivability is unchanged. A buddy has an AA tune and went to whalen recently as the AA tune had some drivability issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 21 Turbo R has a whalen tune that makes a claimed 217hp at the crank (WS200), it completely transformed the car. Going from 172 to 217 is a massive difference. Drivability is unchanged. A buddy has an AA tune and went to whalen recently as the AA tune had some drivability issues.
What kind of drivability issues?

·
Registered
539 Posts
You’ll find some negative feedback on AA tunes having to aggressive of a throttle map. More of an on/off 2-stroke feel. Many prefer a smoother (more linear) throttle map which is what you’ll get with Whalen.
i dont have that with my x3, it is super smooth still on stage 2 but my defender is that way from AA. It really jumps quickly when you get on the throttle.

steve

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont have that with my x3, it is super smooth still on stage 2 but my defender is that way from AA. It really jumps quickly when you get on the throttle.

steve

You’ll find some negative feedback on AA tunes having to aggressive of a throttle map. More of an on/off 2-stroke feel. Many prefer a smoother (more linear) throttle map which is what you’ll get with Whalen.
I could see this as a problem when trying to come up an aluminum trailer ramp when it’s wet.

·
Registered
539 Posts
its not that bad to where it causes trouble on the defender, its not that fast to start with lol. I just put it in work or eco mode when i am loading, driving slow, or just cruising around. its great to have the different modes, they do make a difference on them. when i want to get after it a little more, normal mode is the most aggressive throttle map. its not a make or break sort of deal on the defender, i just notice it.

steve

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its not that bad to where it causes trouble on the defender, its not that fast to start with lol. I just put it in work or eco mode when i am loading, driving slow, or just cruising around. its great to have the different modes, they do make a difference on them. when i want to get after it a little more, normal mode is the most aggressive throttle map. its not a make or break sort of deal on the defender, i just notice it.

steve
Understood and I am glad you (and others here) brought it up as a characteristic of the AA tune on the X3. I go to 4x4 , Eco mode and Low pulling up my ramp now. If my trailer was a foot wider and the ramp was dry, I would have no concern. Reality is, my trailer isn’t wider, the ramp isn’t always dry and when you factor in the potential “On/off “ throttle feel after the AA, that could be problematic.

That and the fact the the Whalen Tune appears to push more HP may be swaying me. I was liking the AA tune before this.

·
Registered
539 Posts
just want to clarify- my x3 is as smooth as my stock tunes in both stage 1 and 2 for the AA.

steve

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm not sure, it's odd for sure.

On FB, there was someone who said they use other people's tunes. Anyone that can confirm or deny that? The website certainly doesn't sound that way.

Either way, they are only an hour and a half from my house so if I had trouble with anything, I wasn't going to hesitate to take a trip. That was a main deciding factor along with getting 2 pv3s to go with both machines.

Steve

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
so you can share tunes that are not locked...most tuners vin lock their tunes but some tuners dont...last anyone can make at tune with the pv3...its actually very easy to make one...the problem is making a GOOD tune...lol
start with your oem tune...turn on start in any gear, turn off brake and gas cut, lower fan turn on coolant temps

Reactions: honda400ex2003
1 - 20 of 30 Posts