Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey everybody I’m new to this forum. Glad to have made the jump from then Polaris to can am family haha. Anyways I took my new ride and could tell immediately suspension needed adjustment. I wanted to start with the fox recommendation and go from there. I watched video already and am a little confused how to go about it. First off when I take measurements for preload and the tires jacked up so I have to push down on the tire while I measure to get full drop of suspension or is that just in the beginning? I also read on the. Low speed compression is 2 turns in. My question is how to measure to turns in. Is it a full 360 degree turn with the flathead or just 180 degree to be considered a full turn. Same thing with high speed does the ratchet spin all the way around for one turn? Please help me out guys it would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Welcome!

360 degrees for the turn.

When I pushed down mine seemed to more or less stay there. Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
one thing they don't say is to get a few drives in first before trying to adjust shock speed .

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did the fox set up after a few rides and noticed a big change much better all around performance they do come low!

A few tip's clean your shock bodies before adjusting the rings get all the dirt out of the threads! use a long slotted screw driver and a hammer to loosen the lock rings on the spring's and cross over's run the cross overs down about 2 inches and get them out of the way.... The fox installed spring height is just a starting point start there and drive the car around bring it back roll to a stop don't use the brakes check your ride height and adjust accordingly once you have the ride height set then adjust the cross over's to recommended height lock everything else down adjust the high low and rebound and your done!

You have to make all adjustments to high low and rebound by turning them clockwise all the way in and counting the turns and clicks out from there..... 1 turn is 360 deg don't force the adjusters closed you can damage the seats or snap something off inside the shock

No 2 SxS are equal weight wise bumpers racks tools gear tires all make one installed spring height impossible......

Shock tuning and spring swaps YES they do work and perform better but someone new the stock shocks and springs are fine till you build the confidence to go faster and drive hard enough to justify spending money on suspension upgrades!

One more thing after adjusting the spring preload check the springs you want the ends 180 deg from the other spring end on the crossover slider to balance the load on the slider if there on the same side or close to each other the slider will rub the shock body and cause damage to the threads and strange noises as the shock goes up and down!!!!! The rear shock shaft guard also like to move around check it before lowering the car it's a pain to move with the springs loaded.

When adjusting and fine tuning high low speed and rebound drive the car and warm the suspension oil up so you can feel the real changes the shocks react different when there cold vers warmed up to adjustments.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think my small spring on the top (assuming CO spring) are all the way down tight? I have to check this weekend, why they set it like that I don't know but if that's true it is all set up wrong isn't it? I'll take pics before and after now that I have some info from you guys. thanks ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the Fox setup on my Can am and didn't really feel much of a difference. These things really need the correct springs with proper spring rates as they are very soft in factory trim. I'm going to be doing that to mine shortly.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I did the Fox setup on my Can am and didn't really feel much of a difference. These things really need the correct springs with proper spring rates as they are very soft in factory trim. I'm going to be doing that to mine shortly.
main thing you gain by cranking them up to fox specs is ground clearance as they deliver them at 12.5" which can bottom out easily. spring rate becomes more of an issue as we put aftermarket parts and add weight to the machine which makes it worse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? It says to have the rear installed spring at 31". I have to set them at 27-3/4 to get the ride height to 15". Then if I set the crossover at 6" like Fox says then the ring is basically sitting on the plastic part where the 2 different springs come together?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think I figured it out. It looks like there are different numbers for the 2&4 seat

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I just ran into the same issue you had, where did you find the different numbers for 2 and 4 seaters? Can you post them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I had it jacked up to adjust the springs and take measurements of the installed spring length, but measured the ride height when it was back on the ground.
I know it’s been a while since your post regarding suspension adjustment on your X3 Max X rs, but did you find a good preload setting to get the best clearance? Do you know what your spring length was?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know it’s been a while since your post regarding suspension adjustment on your X3 Max X rs, but did you find a good preload setting to get the best clearance? Do you know what your spring length was?
Spring length will vary between machines because of weight and accessories not to mention how quick the stock springs sag. Just keep adjusting and measuring until your where you want to be.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spring length will vary between machines because of weight and accessories not to mention how quick the stock springs sag. Just keep adjusting and measuring until your where you want to be.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thank you. I did what you recommended, adding more preload, and did achieve the ride height I was looking for. I was a little concerned that there was so much preload that the tender springs would become useless over time. I spoke to an experienced suspension technician who is very familiar with these issues. He confirmed that yes, the tender springs will eventually compress and lose effectiveness, but he’s known people to run them that way for years with no ill effect to the car, other than a rougher ride. He stated that adding more preload will get more ride height, but make for a stiffer ride. He advised that in order to gain height AND have a plush ride, an upgraded spring kit would be necessary. Revalving in addition to new springs is even better. Of course we know all these things, but I thought I’d post for anyone who may benefit from the additional information.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts