Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is my 3rd Maverick, I had a 14 XXC, a 16 XRS turbo and now a 18 XDS with just over 900 miles on it. The last two rides I've been on, with no passenger, it rolled up on the passenger side when riding fast and in 2wd, totally surprised me both times. Luckily it came back down and I didn't roll all the way over. Never did this last fall when I bought it, only thing that changed since then is I got the suspension adjusted when I was in AZ this March. I went from 9.5" GC to 15" of GC and got the rebound and compression dialed in. Love the additional GC and the ride of the suspension, just don't enjoy the almost rolling over feeling!! The first time it happened I just went to do a half donut on sand in a gravel pit, which I have done many of times with this one and my other two. Yesterday it happened when I was driving really fast down a nice curvy and sweeping gravel minimum maintenance road. I realize that with the higher GC, I have a higher center of gravity, but just didn't think it would affect the handling this much. I'm not very good with adjusting shocks, so I paid someone to do it when I was in AZ. Just wondering if other people have experienced this after adjusting their shocks? Will softening the compression help much or will I have to lower it and take away some of my GC?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a tuner not on this forum adjust mine. I was experiencing getting pushed out of burms and raising tires , maybe just my driving I don’t know... but he set my car at 12” and set nitrogen front to 175 and rear to 150. I had to get crossovers dailed in. it corners great for me .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just raised my ride height from 13" to 15.5 front 16 rear, and adjusted my settings. I also had it up on 2 wheels this weekend for the 1st time. Im sure the Evo stage 3r tune helped! Probally time for a Shock Therapy swaybar upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Dont hit the brakes while doing doughnuts. When you hit the brakes or drop in a rut while doing doughnuts the energy needs to be transferred some where. That energy continues and thats when you high side the car.

Doughnuts almost NEVER end up good which an inexperience driver behind the controls. Save yourself the grief and dont do them. But if you must please make sure your riding buddy has a video camera pointed towards you. This will provide much entertainment for us watching you roll over a 20k machine. Don’t forget to claim the damage on your insurance so all of our rates will increase.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't hit the brakes, and it wasn't a full donut, like I said I was just going to whip it around a little in a clearing on gravel and as I mentioned I've done it many times with my previous Mavs and this one too. Just wondering if I can adjust this tippiness out of it, without losing to much GC.

Dont hit the brakes while doing doughnuts. When you hit the brakes or drop in a rut while doing doughnuts the energy needs to be transferred some where. That energy continues and thats when you high side the car.

Doughnuts almost NEVER end up good which an inexperience driver behind the controls. Save yourself the grief and dont do them. But if you must please make sure your riding buddy has a video camera pointed towards you. This will provide much entertainment for us watching you roll over a 20k machine. Don’t forget to claim the damage on your insurance so all of our rates will increase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately.. I took my xds max to shock therapy last week and after they were done with it, the ride height was a whopping 17” rear and 18.25” front!! Jaysus, the clearance is great but at what cost?

Am I going to roll it at Pismo When I hit the dunes for the first time in a couple weeks? They sprung it for a full load including a plethora of accessories including a spare and a 40 lb toolbox.

Should I be concerned and lower it? They say it will settle some, but it still seems excessive..

I’m a very cautious driver and pretty much don’t do donughts ever, so this is more a general concern. The car feels great and not tippy except at higher speeds on pavement when carrying momentum through a 90 degree turn..

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess I shouldn't even mentioned the word donut, it was more of a power slide or drifting. Like I said, never had this happen before on this Mav or my other 2. Looking for advise on the suspension set up.

Advise? Don’t do donuts. Keep the rubber side down. Keep her running great for many years to come. Kids do donuts.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Guess I shouldn't even mentioned the word donut, it was more of a power slide or drifting.
Speaking of donuts, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The more you raise it, the less you can do sliding, drifting and donut-ing.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I’ve got the brand new front sway bar and links, I pulled them off before the first trip out. I’ll ship em to anybody that needs them, just cover shipping.

I haven’t missed having a front bar for dune riding. They’re just collecting dust at my place.

·
Registered
547 Posts
As the horse people say, "There's horses for courses". You can't have it all. An Indy Car makes a poor rock crawler, and vice-versa. As suggested, move your crossovers, dial in more LSCD if you can, and last resort is take away some ride height until you get to a good compromise.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I notice mine wants to get on 2 wheels a lot more ever since I raised the CG and that's with the RS. I guess that's why they come stock basically sitting on the ground? I definitely think about speed going into corners now more than I used to.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Pretty much any long travel vehicle loses a ton of stability when you lift. You gotta be on the gas going around any turn so it squats. Hit the turn too fast, scare yourself and lift off the gas/hit the brakes, the car is going to lift and over on your lid you go.

Reactions: h82crash

·
Registered
256 Posts
You trade off when raising for GC.

I ride desert at high speed half the time and in the rocks the rest of time. I also noticed I lost cornering when I raised the machine to clear the rocks. But this made her rip through the whoops and no bottoming out on hard G's. This is priority to me.

I have learned the cars limitations on cornering with the new settings and now it just as fast into turns as it was before the setting adjustment. Its all in the driving.

Coming into a turn, brake hard with the wheels straight and put your foot back into hard as you start your turn. What ever you do don't take your foot off the gas or brake during the turn. Bad shit happens! You just need seat time to get used to it.

My wife, kids, friends all drive my car... I have a huge sticker on the dash that reads "NO DONUTS!"

Most roll overs I have see are from being just stupid.

Reactions: Scott F
1 - 20 of 39 Posts