Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had this problem? Car only has 35 miles on it and I went to start it one day, gauges came on hit the start button and just “click”. The starter solenoid was clicking but not spinning the starter. I checked all battery connections, all good. I pulled the solenoid looked at it, it looked fine, put it back in,then jumped it with a wrench and it spun the starter, I then hit the start button all is fine, fires right up.

Anybody have this issue?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I think there was one person on here that had a solenoid issue at low mileage. I would order a new one if I were you and keep the tools in the car to swap it when needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered one. 29 bucks. I saw the other guys thread to. He said he heard something rattling in the solenoid housing and put a new one in. There was a slight rattles in mine when I pulled it out. But it’s still working.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anybody had this problem? Car only has 35 miles on it and I went to start it one day, gauges came on hit the start button and just “click”. The starter solenoid was clicking but not spinning the starter. I checked all battery connections, all good. I pulled the solenoid looked at it, it looked fine, put it back in,then jumped it with a wrench and it spun the starter, I then hit the start button all is fine, fires right up.

Anybody have this issue?
Hello, I purchased a 17 can am x3 DS. I appear to be having the same issue . I attempted to start and "click". Now its just dead dash wont light up. it went from starting fine to just dead so Im thinking the solenoid went bad. I am going to replace it and see if that works. part is 45 bucks in CA. my nearest can am is 2 hours away and most these part places are a bit flaky "ill call you back" and never do. anyways ill post my findings. have a good day. forgot to mention my can am is low mileage also and has only been on 2 trips.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hello, I purchased a 17 can am x3 DS. I appear to be having the same issue . I attempted to start and "click". Now its just dead dash wont light up. it went from starting fine to just dead so Im thinking the solenoid went bad. I am going to replace it and see if that works. part is 45 bucks in CA. my nearest can am is 2 hours away and most these part places are a bit flaky "ill call you back" and never do. anyways ill post my findings. have a good day. forgot to mention my can am is low mileage also and has only been on 2 trips.
jump battery with a known good battery. Check all battery connections.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If the dash wont even light up, it sounds like a battery issue, not a starter solenoid. Guessing your voltage is too low to spin the starter and while trying, dropped the voltage enough to shut down the dash. Do what Mega suggests and report back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree . only thing that seems odd to me is that it started intermittently. then went dead. ill check the battery first then post what I found thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so last night I put my battery maintainer on and the can am and it fired right up. I left the maintainer on until the battery was fully charged . It was starting fine but I still got a intermittent "click" . That is what really confused me. it "clicks" every now and then which gives me a feeling of unreliability . not sure what to do at this point . I was thinking the battery might just need to be replaced. I will replace it and see what happens. I think I will still order the starter solenoid just in case. thanks for the info guys . I will post what else I find.

Ii

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection to me, possibly battery terminal or ground (main battery ground or chassis ground). Take a few minutes to do a good visual inspection a new battery may not be needed. Check starter and solenoid connections for tightness as well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
if they are still using the cheapo solenoids like on every other brp toy
I would bet the solenoid is junk
they will click but do not send power to the starter
very common problem, easy fix, you can save money and buy aftermarket
I bought many over the years, and many of them started not working intermittently then die

Reactions: 831maverickx3ds

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection to me, possibly battery terminal or ground (main battery ground or chassis ground). Take a few minutes to do a good visual inspection a new battery may not be needed. Check starter and solenoid connections for tightness as well.
I will check it out see if something came loose. It would have been nice if they had made a folding seat or removable cushion for easy Battery access . Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if they are still using the cheapo solenoids like on every other brp toy
I would bet the solenoid is junk
they will click but do not send power to the starter
very common problem, easy fix, you can save money and buy aftermarket
I bought many over the years, and many of them started not working intermittently then die
Thanks for the info. I am going to check all the connections like JDBPFLYER suggested. I will be ordering the part for stock just in case. Any aftermarket solenoids you recommend ??

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It should definitely be a warranty item. If you do find some connection loose I would be sure to raise hell with the dealer that you paid to do the pre-delivery assembly and inspection. There are so many threads here detailing people's experiences with poor assembly. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It should definitely be a warranty item. If you do find some connection loose I would be sure to raise hell with the dealer that you paid to do the pre-delivery assembly and inspection. There are so many threads here detailing people's experiences with poor assembly. Let us know what you find.
That is terrible to hear. I hope they assembled my can am accordingly. Now I will be sure to double check all grounds and power connections reading this info. Thank you JD. I will post what I find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s been a while, but hear is the follow up.

The issue was not the solenoid, it ended up being a main chassis ground on the motor. Dealer said the factory had put way to much loctight/anti size and it was causing the intermittent problem. The ground was behind the cowling on the passenger side of motor. I’ll see if I can find a pic it’s been a while.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It’s been a while, but hear is the follow up.

The issue was not the solenoid, it ended up being a main chassis ground on the motor. Dealer said the factory had put way to much loctight/anti size and it was causing the intermittent problem. The ground was behind the cowling on the passenger side of motor. I’ll see if I can find a pic it’s been a while.
Glad they found the issue. So you have not had the issue since the ground was fixed?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts