Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Maverick Max XMR 1000r
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I had to replace my front drive shaft on my rig. While I had it out I went ahead and pulled my front dif and changed all 3 seals. After putting everything together again. I'm leaking out of my input shaft seal. I have a new seal and it's on jacks right now. I had read where the 13mm Input shaft bolt would have something to do with it too. I wouldn't think that was correct. Has anyone ran across this or have any input to help me out? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Its the wear ring in the input shaft of the drive shaft. You need a new one when changing the rear seal. Did the new drive shaft come with one installed ?? Probably not. Look at the old driveshaft, youll see the ring on it. Pull the new drive shaft and put it in your freezer overnight, buy the wear ring and heat it with a torch until it glows. Have the frozon driveshaft and u joint clamped down, grab the hot wer ring and slide it down the shaft as fast as you can until it seats.....you have one chance to do it right. Its not going on with out doing this

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the wear ring in the input shaft of the drive shaft. You need a new one when changing the rear seal. Did the new drive shaft come with one installed ?? Probably not. Look at the old driveshaft, youll see the ring on it. Pull the new drive shaft and put it in your freezer overnight, buy the wear ring and heat it with a torch until it glows. Have the frozon driveshaft and u joint clamped down, grab the hot wer ring and slide it down the shaft as fast as you can until it seats.....you have one chance to do it right. Its not going on with out doing this

Hmmm ok, this drive shaft I bought said it didn't need a wear ring. I'll look though. Thank you very much

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hmmm ok, this drive shaft I bought said it didn't need a wear ring. I'll look though. Thank you very much
You bought a talking driveshaft ?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You wrote "this drive shaft I bought SAID it didn't need a wear ring" .....your talking drive shaft lied :) lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Looks like the wear ring is built in on that one ….that’s new. That needs a little grease / oil on it when pushing past the new seal . It’s very possible that you nicked the rear seal, bent the rear seal during installation . Possible little cut in the seal. Is the little bolt installed and tightened ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the wear ring is built in on that one ….that’s new. That needs a little grease / oil on it when pushing past the new seal . It’s very possible that you nicked the rear seal, bent the rear seal during installation . Possible little cut in the seal. Is the little bolt installed and tightened ?
Yea its in and tight, but I can take the front sbaft off without taking the bolt back out. What is that bolt supposed to do?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Keeps it tight against the front since there are two sets of ujoints on the shaft, it stops okay in the driveshaft.
I just looked at the new driveshaft pics and it looks like you can’t tighten the new shaft into the front diff like the old one ….weird !

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 13mm bolt hole goes all the way through into the oil. It will absolutely leak if the bolt is not tightened, hard to tell in the photo. I had mine leak from the finger tight bolt on my old Commander when replacing the seals and thought at first it was from the new seal.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The 13mm bolt hole goes all the way through into the oil. It will absolutely leak if the bolt is not tightened, hard to tell in the photo. I had mine leak from the finger tight bolt on my old Commander when replacing the seals and thought at first it was from the new seal.
His last post says it’s in and tight ….that’s not the issue
His drive shaft is a new oem not like the older ones. The bolt no longer holds the driveshaft to the front diff anymore …..and it comes with a built in wear ring

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thank you. I have the front diff pulled now, ill put blue locktite on it when I put it back in.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ok thank you. I have the front diff pulled now, ill put blue locktite on it when I put it back in.
let us know if it leaks again....it takes a little while to make a puddle. Im curious about the new driveshaft with its own wear ring that cant be replaced and doesnt bolt to the diff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found out why it was leaking... I received the wrong drive shaft! I needed the 2017 XMR shaft and got one for a 2108. It fit perfectly but the od of the shot at the seal is off. Thank yall for your help. Now onto wheel bearings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts