Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing out a bad CV on front passenger side, popped shaft out and it had snapped off inside along with the stop ring. (while driving? dont know)

Removed opposite side to see if I could pop it out, but I cannot tell whats inside the gearbox and my manual (from CanAm) doesnt give me a decent exploded view to understand it.

Do I need to remove the entire gearbox to remove the broken spindle?

Image from drivers side attached....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
So you didn’t break your driveshaft, you broke an axle. Vice grips and a slide hammer and it should pop right out. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, yes axle.

Problem is im not sure what that diagonal pin is or how to get around.

The broken piece is the last 1/4 inch of the axle with the stop ring.
20200520_120333.jpg

Passenger side image attached.

·
Premium Member
7,474 Posts
Do you have a long skinny punch that would fit around that pin? Or maybe a long skinny flat head screwdriver?

·
Premium Member
7,474 Posts
Also, have you tried a magnet? Sometimes it is just enough to wiggle the broke shaft to un-bind it and it will come out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, have you tried a magnet? Sometimes it is just enough to wiggle the broke shaft to un-bind it and it will come out.
The lock ring is still in there.

If I had a better exploded view I'd know if popping a driver through the other side would work. Rather not chance scarring anything.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Ask you shall receive. Lol a strong magnet has worked before on the trail on my bro in laws of max. We have also used a pic to get the little piece out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it.

1/8 x 6" drill bit fit by the pin, tapped it enough to compress the lock ring and unseat it.

Used pick to pull ring and magnet to get axle end.

Thanks for all the info! 👍

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The axle was All Balls Racing 8ball Extreme, by the way. They're junk, don't recommend. Both broke on me, now replacing with the Rhino 2.0.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
The axle was All Balls Racing 8ball Extreme, by the way. They're junk, don't recommend. Both broke on me, now replacing with the Rhino 2.0.
I'd recommend staying with stock.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Premium Member
7,474 Posts
Highly recommend stock over rhinos. I just replaced my rears at 4000 miles for preventative maintenance only. They were still just fine. Been putting some power through them too with larger turbo and e85 fuel. Glad you got it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Damn I like to see a group of experienced forum members help a gent resolve an issue so quickly. Nice work guys!!

And thanks for reporting back Craftsman!!! Soooo many times guys take the info from a forum such as this, but don't bother to report back the resolution. That tid-bit can be just as valuable as the advice a year from now when some poor schmuck is researching. (y) (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts