Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

just signed up for your forum as I’ve bought my first SXS this week. I got myself a 2015 Maverick 1000R and I already took it out to a nearby off-road park and had a blast.
However, there is just one thing I can’t wrap my head around and couldn’t find any explanation for yet!
1000R has a 101 HP and only weights 1300lbs, that power to weight ratio is pretty dang good, but it craps out around 45mph. A Polaris rzr 800 from 2011 with 52HP will do 60mph at 950lbs. That’s 18.3 lbs/HP on the Polaris and 12.8lbs/HP on the maverick. The maverick should have much higher top speed and/or smoke the Polaris drastically in acceleration. What is that I’m missing ?
I appreciate any of your feedback.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You are probably failing to use the correct key in the ignition. There are two types of keys, one is for work usage and the other is sport. One has a black cover the other is gray. When you start the vehicle the display will show which key is being used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably failing to use the correct key in the ignition. There are two types of keys, one is for work usage and the other is sport. One has a black cover the other is gray. When you start the vehicle the display will show which key is being used.
Hey, it only came with one and I made sure it’s the performance key and when started it does display that in the instrument cluster. Also have it in sport mode. Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
36 Posts
Aside from the aforementioned key, you may need a new belt and possibly some clutch work.

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aside from the aforementioned key, you may need a new belt and possibly some clutch work.
Yeah the belt is toast, already ordered a new one from SuperATV HD Extreme Badass. I hope the belt is better than it’s silly name.
ordered it because I had a little bit of jerking and burned rubber smell.
about the clutches, what would you recommend as general maintenance or upgrade. It has 2700 mls on it, not sure what components are in it, as in if it’s been modified or recently maintained.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
36 Posts
Yeah the belt is toast, already ordered a new one from SuperATV HD Extreme Badass. I hope the belt is better than it’s silly name.
about the clutches, what would you recommend as general maintenance or upgrade. It has 2700 mls on it, not sure what components are in it, as in if it’s been modified or recently maintained.
I recently did the wear buttons and one way bearing on mine. Cleaned up everything relly well and scuffed the belt wear surfaces on the clutch. Inspect the helix gear for wear too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This could have helped in your original question if you want accurate feedback:

"Yeah the belt is toast, already ordered a new one from Super ATV HD Extreme Badass."

With your first description the key would be a likely diagnosis since you omitted the "Numero-Uno" symptom of jerking and smoking belt.

Sounds like problem solved really; bad belt. I would think about ordering two; one for the replacement and one to carry with you in the car as the spare. After changing one on the trail the rest of the ride is running without a spare... I carry two in the car as spares.

Welcome to the $$ pit!

Dwayne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This could have helped in your original question if you want accurate feedback:

"Yeah the belt is toast, already ordered a new one from Super ATV HD Extreme Badass."

With your first description the key would be a likely diagnosis since you omitted the "Numero-Uno" symptom of jerking and smoking belt.

Sounds like problem solved really; bad belt. I would think about ordering two; one for the replacement and one to carry with you in the car as the spare. After changing one on the trail the rest of the ride is running without a spare... I carry two in the car as spares.

Welcome to the $$ pit!

Dwayne
About the key, can I be certain that it’s the performance key if displayed ?

Ok, I will throw a new one in there and let’s see what happens

What about the key, like I said, if it shows performance key on the display it should be working fine right ?
aAlso I bend a tier rod any recommendations for a good HD replacement ? Of course will do both sides

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think that if it displays "Performance" when you start the machine, then you should be good for that mode. I've not heard of any contradiction to the message.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok sounds to me, I will let you guys know if it’s workings well again after
I appreciate all the feedback, it’s been helpful.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My 15 xmr 1k maverick would run 77 on stock 30s.
77 ? In a non turbo ? Aren’t the XMR’s geared lower and slower ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey Guys,

just signed up for your forum as I’ve bought my first SXS this week. I got myself a 2015 Maverick 1000R and I already took it out to a nearby off-road park and had a blast.
However, there is just one thing I can’t wrap my head around and couldn’t find any explanation for yet!
1000R has a 101 HP and only weights 1300lbs, that power to weight ratio is pretty dang good, but it craps out around 45mph. A Polaris rzr 800 from 2011 with 52HP will do 60mph at 950lbs. That’s 18.3 lbs/HP on the Polaris and 12.8lbs/HP on the maverick. The maverick should have much higher top speed and/or smoke the Polaris drastically in acceleration. What is that I’m missing ?
I appreciate any of your feedback.
Every Maverick on earth will smoke a RZR 800 .....except for yours :)
You should be at around 70 ish mph

What are you missing ? About 25 mph !

I take it you didn’t drive it before you bought it ?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I was at about 71 for a top speed with stock tires, I went a little bigger and indicated top speed is now 65...

·
Registered
758 Posts
That’s sounds right ! I’m on 32’s and my clutching is for low end ......I lost a lot of top end .....something I never use anyway !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Every Maverick on earth will smoke a RZR 800 .....except for yours :)
You should be at around 70 ish mph

What are you missing ? About 25 mph !

I take it you didn’t drive it before you bought it ?
I did drive it and noticed the jerking when taking off, but I assumed its the big mud tires (shovels on it).
Well it is what it is, just gotta fix it up and have fun with it.

About the current top speed, I just the other day found out how to set it to show mph, so don't know yet :)
Belt should be here tomorrow and from what I understand shouldn't be to hard to throw it in there. I plan on going to the offroad Park this Saturday again.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Remember to throughly clean your clutches and belt .....and properly break in your belt

What belt did you buy ? Oem

Jerking could be you not using enough gas pedal to take of smoothly .....don’t baby the gas pedal when engaging the clutches

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Remember to throughly clean your clutches and belt .....and properly break in your belt

What belt did you buy ? Oem

Jerking could be you not using enough gas pedal to take of smoothly .....don’t baby the gas pedal when engaging the clutches

Also it smelled burned. I'm OK with replacing it, than I know its new. What cleaner do you usually use for cleaning the clutches ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts