Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im patiently waiting for my 14' Maverick to arrive. Im new to Can Am and have read all the horror stories about the clutch systems. From what I can tell they "fixed" the bolt problem associated with the 13' model. My question is did they change anything else (weights, helix, etc.) to help the performance/life of the clutch sytems on the 14'??

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I dont have a 2014 so I cant comment 100% but my guess would be no.
They may have solved the big issue with the bolt but I doubt they changed the 2 piece design, which sucks IMO. So it will still let the belt slip which lessens performance and belt life. However it will work and you can learn to drive it so its not too hard on belts, but thats a process. I am a believer in the aftermarket clutches to help improve overall performance and the driving experience.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
welcome to the forum and on your new purchase......yes, there have been very few complaints since the recall was introduced. To answer your question is a bit tricky......according to the parts data base they did not change anything in the clutches but according to some folks who have had to purchase some new weights have shown that the new weights are slightly different than the original 2013 weights but the part numbers are the same. So on the surface it looks as if no changes were made but it looks like there were some small changes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
the clutch is identical
the weights are the same
the springs are the same
the helix in the secondary is the same

they changed the bolt design to the new stud which does keep the bolt from shearing and popping the primary thru the cover BUT that clutch still slips the belt under loads as it is designed to

the secondary bolt is still the same, and it still does not have loctite. i had a new 14 brought to me with a secondary thru the cover the other day. i dont know when they will wake up and start loctiting the secondary bolts.

if you want to bulletproof your OEM clutch setup when you get it, just take your secondary bolt out and loctite it. the primary is actually pretty tough deisgn i have not seen any problems with the new primary bolt setup

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
the clutch is identical
the weights are the same
the springs are the same

they changed the bolt design to the new stud which does keep the bolt from shearing and popping the primary thru the cover BUT that clutch still slips the belt under loads as it is designed to

the secondary bolt is still the same, and it still does not have loctite. i had a new 14 brought to me with a secondary thru the cover the other day. i dont know when they will wake up and start loctiting the secondary bolts.

if you want to bulletproof your OEM clutch setup when you get it, just take your secondary bolt out and loctite it. the primary is actually pretty tough deisgn i have not seen any problems with the new primary bolt setup
Adam - Someone on here posted pictures of the new weights they purchased side by side with the original weights he pulled off of his 2013 and there is a difference. I believe they are narrower now......again, just stating what was reported on here as I have not confirmed this myself. I will try to find that thread. I would assume you might have some weights from an early model 2013 and a new 2014 stock primary laying around to compare. If you could that would be great.....also, are you suggesting that we not replace the secondary bolt if we remove it? I thought they were one time use bolts according to Can-Am?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's still junk for a stock clutch.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I think the stock clutch gets more of a bad rap then it deserves. If you can put an hours worth of work into it you probably won't have any issues out of it.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
it holds up in some pretty grueling endurance races......

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its still junk and any aftermarket is far more superior
Same way in the Canam atvs junk junk junk period!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Its still junk and any aftermarket is far more superior
Same way in the Canam atvs junk junk junk period!
haha....well that is a convincing reason :smile: I love my QSC primary but what is so terrible with the OEM primary now that they have the primary bolt issue resolved?

·
Registered
223 Posts
do you recommend blue or red loctite for this?

the clutch is identical
the weights are the same
the springs are the same

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
U own a QSC so you've answered your own question =)

I need to give Adam a shout and see if my primary requires any upgrades from my outty to my mav already have the Billet inner

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
U own a QSC so you've answered your own question =)
no, not really.......I bought the QSC out of fear of the primary coming apart before the recall came out. My primary never gave me any problems but I wanted the peace of mind not having to worry about the primary falling off. I think the QSC is better (for my application) but that doesn't mean the OEM clutch is a POS. If I were going to do some desert racing, I would probably run my stock primary with the STM secondary. Many of the racers are running this setup with great results. The OEM primary wasn't calibrated for my elevation either so I was leaving performance on the table. If I had spent the time and money on the correct weights and spring setup, I am sure it would have performed well.

The secondary is a different story.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Opinions vary
I've nvr seen anybody completely happy with their stock primary or secondary.. Many share my feelings and if the stocker was even somewhat efficient then Y would so many long for a QSC or stm.
Case closed

I had 1.8 miles on my mav and was already chkn clutch setups. I demand much out of my machines and factory items are hardly acceptable for me and mainly due to Canam sinking majority of the $ into the ROTAX which I'm cool with that without that engine Canam would not exist

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, since I posted this I spoke to Dale at Dalton. He said the clutch system on the mavericks aren't near as bad as the rap they get, especially on the 14' with the primary bolt problem corrected. He suggested removing the secondary bolt and loctite and torque "properly". After that he said it should be a trouble free setup if used properly. I know from past experiences with cvt quads/utv's (owned 10 so far) that a lot belt issues are owner related. I've never blown a belt in the past 15 years of ownership and had multiple 100+ hp setups! All of my high hp clutch setups had dalton components. Hopefully my luck will continue with the maverick!!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That's what I was trying to say.....they aren't terrible but I still love my QSC/STM setup.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm Def not a fan of stock but yes sir the QSC stm was nice on my quad but I don't know yet on my mav I haven't put it on but I will assume same results

1 - 20 of 22 Posts