Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read several posts on Mavericks having hard shifting issues.
I have a 2014 CanAm Maverick 1000 XRS DPS with an Airdam CVTech primary and stock secondary.
The Airdam CVTech primary is supposed to have a sealed one-way that lasts 5K miles.

My primary has about 1000 miles on it and I have only cleaned my secondary.
Reading through the threads, in regards to hard shifting, I see the most common issue is the one-way bearing.
My secondary does spin when in park and idle.
I am not clear of if the one-way bearing in the primary or secondary should be changed...
Please clarify...

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Addition notes...
The shifting is smooth when the machine is not running.
It does appear that the secondary and primary are not aligned.
As stated above, when the machine is ideling/Park or Neutral the secondary spins.
I looked at the bell, the one side is in contact with the primary's out half.
I am not on how I can get the secondary to line up properly..
Suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
you found the problem, secondary spinning
now you need to find the cause

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically, the CVTech primary is out of alignment with the stock secondary. The secondary does not spin when the belt is off.
The secondary needs to be machined to gain an extra 1/16" - 1/8" depth or the primary needs shims to extend out that same 1/16" - 1/8".
Again, the belt is riding on the outer primary with the 1/16" - 1/8" space on the opposite side of the primary's one way.
The belt contact with the primary is causing the secondary to engage. The constant engagement is causing the shifting problems while the engine is running.

Now the true question is are there options to shim the primary or get the secondary machined?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more information...
I don't have an CVT primary/stock secondary alignment issue.
When I flipped to the ECO mode, the RMP's dropped from 1450 - 1500 to 1250 - 1300.
In the 1250 - 1300 range the primary opened enough to allow the belt to only ride on the primary's one-way bearing.
The secondary does not spin, while in Park/Neutral, with the ECO mode on.
Shifting is very smooth with ECO mode on..

In Sport Mode the RPM's are 1450 - 1500.
The primary engages and grabs the belt.
The belt grabbing causes hard shifting issues, because the secondary never disengages.

Is there a setting or a spring that increases the RPM minimum to engage the primary?
Since my Sport Mode idles in the 1450 - 1500 range, what spring would increase the primary engagement to the 1600 - 1650 rpm range?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
73 Posts
Not 100% sure If this is available for your machine but I had this problem. I got the KWI float mod on the clutches and shifting is butter now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Input appreciated...
The issue is that I had a CVTech 0951-1017 primary spring... with 2007 weights...
The spring is to soft for my application...and the weights are to light...
For reference I have the following:

2014 XRS DPS 1000 2 seat
Torq Locker
3" bracket lift
2" wheel spacers
32" STI Outback Max tires
14" bead lock wheels

I will be upgrading to a CVTech 0951-1028 spring and 2009 weights.
The weights and spring should provide enough back pressure to keep the primary from engaging while the machine is idling/stopped/Park/Neutral with the Sport Mode engaged.
The primary's clearance/opening will allow the belt to ride on the one-way bearing, which should stop the secondary from engaging; Which should solve the hard shifting problem.
I will post after new spring/weights are installed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Issue resolved with primary spring 0951-1021 (300/1600) and the 2009 (22g) weights.
Primary engagement is roughly 1800 rpms
Shift-out with my setup is 7300 rpms in H gear..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts