Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some night driving... Light bar on + 2 additional side lights... Head lights on High beam.... Using a spotlight... Check engine light came on and machine instantly went into limp mode. Tried to start and starter wound down as it was killing the battery. Pulled the key and it kept slow cranking until it died. Stranded in the desert mountains and had a 9 mile night walk to truck. Drove to it and was going to use truck battery to get it off the hill.. Mind you this was almost a 4 hour walk to the truck.. Flicked the light bar switch and it came on... Climbed inside and it started as if nothing ever happened. Drove it down the hill and took it home. Started up again with no issues later in the day...

Can anyone help me understand this? I am thinking that with all the lights on, the stator and battery could not keep up and the machine shut itself down. If this is the case how, without removing my lights can I keep this from happening?

Thanks for any input or advice.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Easiest answer would be a dual battery setup. Your stock battery for what it was meant for, and another battery for powering your lights. IDK what lights you're running, but Baja Designs have a very large wattage draw. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you have a system that has enough power.

It would behoove you to go over all your wiring too. Make sure everything is tight, no grounds loose.

Reactions: MO_Hacker

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Easiest answer would be a dual battery setup. Your stock battery for what it was meant for, and another battery for powering your lights. IDK what lights you're running, but Baja Designs have a very large wattage draw. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you have a system that has enough power.

It would behoove you to go over all your wiring too. Make sure everything is tight, no grounds loose.
Dang that’s twice in 2 weeks with the behoove.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks... I have already re-wired the "Birds Nest" of wires from the previous owner and changed out all the switches. It was not done very well and lots of extra wires.. As for the duel battery set up, I am sure that there is a thread with lots of opinions of what type of battery to use, but can an additional battery be added and still be maintained by my stator or in line with original battery? Should it just be a deep cell that I would maintain via a trickle charger? Where the heck do you mount a second battery?

Taking it out today in the smoke filled valley here in Fallon NV to see if I can replicate the power issue.

Thanks for your input..

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Thanks... I have already re-wired the "Birds Nest" of wires from the previous owner and changed out all the switches. It was not done very well and lots of extra wires.. As for the duel battery set up, I am sure that there is a thread with lots of opinions of what type of battery to use, but can an additional battery be added and still be maintained by my stator or in line with original battery? Should it just be a deep cell that I would maintain via a trickle charger? Where the heck do you mount a second battery?

Taking it out today in the smoke filled valley here in Fallon NV to see if I can replicate the power issue.

Thanks for your input..
On that year, I wouldn't know unfortunately. Most dual batteries are mounted under the passenger seat, if possible. I'm not familiar with that model / year, so you'll have to see if there is room there.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
dual batteries for your machine would be over the exhaust behind the seats and or under the drivers seat. Buy Odyssey agm batteries.

Always carry a small lithium battery jumper !!! They are tiny and will save you. My oem battery died at night on top of a mountain.....the jump box saved us ! it would have been a 9 hour walk back. It was the size of three cellphones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts