Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
So I have started putting in the thermal barrier on my interior panels. Here is what I have done so far…..I ran out of the material and had to order another roll….. should I reinstall the foam to aid with sound deadening or just leave it out?

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks…took it out ot the dunes today and you could definitely tell which pieces were covered and which were not…..it really works.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Did you trim the barrier after you stuck it on the panel?
Yes and no….some pieces were easy to dry fit before taking off the backing so I could cut it first and then stick it on. Other pieces had too many contours so I had to work it as I went. Good scissors and an exacto knife make it a lot easier. I them taped all of my edges and seams with reflective tape.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice job, and it does work. Did you put your foam pieces back on ?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Nice job, and it does work. Did you put your foam pieces back on ?
I haven't yet…I was asking if i should or not. What do you recommend? I think it would at least help with deadening the sound a bit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wait didn't the commander come with this? My 2011 Commander had some heat shield type stuff on the panels by the motor. I haven't pulled my Mav max panels off yet, is what they have sufficient or should I add more?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Wait didn't the commander come with this? My 2011 Commander had some heat shield type stuff on the panels by the motor. I haven't pulled my Mav max panels off yet, is what they have sufficient or should I add more?
The 2013 maverick does not have heat shielding in the console interior panels but the 2014 Maverick does. Not sure about the Max...

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
just finished up doing the header wrap and the DEI Silicone spray. It smoked like a SOB for about 15 minutes while curing the silicone spray but hopefully this will help.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive exhaust Vehicle Auto part Pipe Plumbing Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Metal Steel Auto part Metal

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Nice job on the install and pics. Did you remove the exhaust pipes to wrap them?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
yes, I removed both header pipes and the intermediate pipe for the rear cylinder. I didn't wrap the collector and cat because I plan on replacing/deleting it. I am going to put the heat reflective barrier on the bottom of the battery tray and possibly get a battery heat insulator wrap...

JEGS Performance Products 10268 JEGS Battery Heat Insulator Kit

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Wow, you are going ape on the insulator. :) Cool stuff. I bought the exhaust wrap too. I'm about to put it on since I am doing my own 10 hour service at the moment.

Is there an exhaust seal between the connections that can be reused?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yea….too many reports of heat issues. It was relatively cheap insurance. I like to ride all times of the year and sometimes it will be over 100' out so I gotta do all I can to keep things cool. I really worry about the life of the battery with all of that heat from the exhaust. The wrap should help somewhat. If not, I will look at relocating it under the drivers seat.

Yea, each of the flanges has a grafoil seal on one end of the pipe except the head pipes going into the cylinders. You can barely make it out in this picture if you look close.

Auto part Metal

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is everything you need at a good price.

DEI 010301 Black High-Temperature Silicone Coating
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MY3ML8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DEI 010201 8" Stainless Steel Locking Ties - Pack of 8 (Also can use Stainless Hose Clamps)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E28EG6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DEI 010127 2" Titanium Exhaust/ Header Wrap - 50'
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R4U72I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heat Shield Mat Automotive Thermal Deadener - Deadening 50mil - 25sqft w/Free Installation Roller (not sure if 25sqft is enough. Will update in a few days when mine comes in.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF294GS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sound deadener has a sheet of foam laminated to the heat shield sheet. It adds weight, so if you're into racing, I wouldn't recommend.

(Edit: sorry, started this in bed on my tablet and it was being a PITA.)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Is the silicone spray necessary?
Not mandatory but will prolong the life of the header wrap as it makes it water repellant so dirt, mud, water…whatever, will not soak into the wrap.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Also, I prefer the black wrap and the black silicone spray. It is less likely to show dirt or stains and blends in with the frame so it is not so obvious you have it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts