Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with boots coming off. I got in touch with previous owner and he said he has a 4" lift with springs cranked 3". It sits nice right now but on full throttle runs the inner boot is sliding off. He also stated that the machine has 8 ball axles in it. I was in a rush when I bought the machine(not from original owner but from dealership that didn`t want to fix it before selling so I got a little deal). I can not see a 4 inch lift on the machine and it looks like there is about 3.5" of shock before it hits the rebound rubber. What is the stock height of this machine and do the factory boots come off of the 8 ball axles easily? I have ordered the proper boots but they say it will be 26-40 days shipping. I`m thinking he just adjusted the springs. But not sure. Oh there are also 27" executioners on the machine.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
wow, you are Lostinouterspace. You bought a machine with issues and now are asking for advice with no pictures and a bunch of jibberish. Good luck with your boots Lostintime, mabe tie them tighter or use Velcro.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW thanks for the reply and positive post. Lots of jibberish? I was stating what was told to me. And sorry for having to buy a machine that needed work but some people can`t afford an expensive toy. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
You're going to need to put a lot more effort into this.

No one knows what lift you have etc.

I am no lift expert, Arizona and Glamis we don't do lifts on UTV's. Some more photos of the lift maybe some of the back East guys can help there. I suspect lifts cause issues with CV angle increases.

My advice for now is to find a way to lower the ride height, take off the lift, raise the spring collar etc.

The 8 ball axle are made by all balls.

RMATV Carrie's them. They have boot kits for them.

You need to research how to work on those boots and your machine. As you learn come back and update the thread so the next guy learns what you did. Tim

·
Registered
87 Posts
The springs are possibly cranked. Look above the shocks at the shock mounts. See if there are brackets that move the shocks out of the factory location. Most of the time in the front you have to spin the shocks to the res are pointed in. The lifts usually change the angle of the shocks to provide lift. My maverick has a 3 inch super atv bracket lift and my shocks aren’t cranked. It still rides great and it’s on 33 inch tractor tires with 18 inch wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have no issues with axle boots or axles. Being that your only on 27 inch tires which is a stock size. I would lower your shocks. Not only will it ride a lot better. It will lower your axles angles which might correct your issue. The boots should not pop off regardless. I would try new clamps and while your at it, repack the axles with moly grease.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It looks like there’s a bracket lift in there. But I can’t tell from the pics because they are blurry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is no lift in there. The top of the shock mounts right into the stock bracing. I know my phone is pretty old and I`m a little shaky so pictures are not great

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
sorry to tell you but the 2013 Maverick rear suspension is a complete POS. I had nothing but problems with mine. Continually cooked rear inner joints so much they would catch fire. I was so excited when I sold that cv eating machine. Just a bad design when they took the commander and tried to make it a sport machine buy changing the rear end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it is a rear inner. The clamp is tight. What I have noticed is the left inner is a good quality rubber boot where the right side is the factory plastic boot and that is the one popping off

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
FYI, every time I see an aftermarket axle they have boot problems. Also when putting the boot back on you need to completely remove the axle and put it in a vice. Clean the inside and outside of the boot and cv joint where the clamp goes with acetone or alcohol to remove all grease. Then use the good Otieker clamps and correct tool. Any grease under the boot to cv or clamp to boot and you will have issues. Also a loose or too tight boot clamp will have issues. The poor design of the 2013 maverick creates heat and heat expands which blows up the boot like a balloon and pulls on the clamp. Sometimes soo much the boot catches on the frame and tears.

Again good luck, that year is cursed with a poor design.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The problem people were having diagnosing your problem was the bad pics ......you should take non blurry pics of the top and bottom of all shocks . 8 ball axles suck so that may be part of the problem . I don’t see a 4 inch lift kit but you didn’t show the front shock upper attachment point . Your shocks are not overly cranked down but should be loosened back to spec and then cranked back down a little due to older spring sag

by better clamps like Mega suggested .....maybe look for oem axles on eBay

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
The problem people were having diagnosing your problem was the bad pics ......you should take non blurry pics of the top and bottom of all shocks . 8 ball axles suck so that may be part of the problem . I don’t see a 4 inch lift kit but you didn’t show the front shock upper attachment point . Your shocks are not overly cranked down but should be loosened back to spec and then cranked back down a little due to older spring sag

by better clamps like Mega suggested .....maybe look for oem axles on eBay
OEM axles are under $200 on RMATV

·
Registered
87 Posts
I personally have never had an issue with axles on my machine. 2013 XRS. I have oem axles except one of my fronts is a quad boss (what the dealer warrantied a bad axle with). If I have issues and break an axle I plan to go with rhino or somethinh similar unless I can find oem for a good deal. I’d buy a new set of rear axles, clean those up and get the boot situated and use those for spares incase you break one. Something also might be tweaked in the rear. The front looks like it’s been wrecked based on the broken plastics. Also these things like to eat belts. I was going through belts left and right. I sent my primary off to be locked up and haven’t had issues since. If you have a belt issue, the cheap celtric belts that are like $30 surprisingly work pretty well. That way you don’t blow $200 oem belts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An update. Ok while checking the car over I was looking at the top of the shocks and did notice that there are brackets on top that moves the shocks out 2". What size of lift would that be. They do not drop the shocks down from original position just out away from the original mount.
On the axle boot,I have put on over 100 miles on it and the boot has not come off. But I have not gone over 60 mph ever since either. So the theory of the joints heating up and causing the boot to poop off is what was probably happening.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts