Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2013 NA Maverick that I had an engine built for. The new engine has big bore cylinders, ported heads, and +2 intake and exhaust valves. I put on an aftermarket intake as well. I just got the thing broken in and am wanting to get the tuning correct on it. It doesn't pop or sputter or anything like that. I have your Power Commander 5, but didn't get the autotune with it. From what I've researched I'm going to need that in conjunction with the PC5. I am planning on sending my ECM off to be reflashed for higher rev and all the other limiters taken off. I want to make sure that I am going down the right path before I spend a bunch of money. Is there anything else that you would recommend for getting the tune correct on this machine. I have a shop near by that I can have put on the dyno, so I may end up doing that at some point as well. Look forward to your response!

·
Premium Member
6,944 Posts
I am not critiquing, I am curious.

That had to cost quite a few bucks doing what you did, why not turbo it?

I built an 1835 VW motor back around 2000. I spent 3500.00 on CB 044 super magnum heads, engle cam, dual 40 delortos yada yada.

My buddy with an identical sand rail and an 1835 spent less adding a turbo and waxed the floor with me.

Tim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not critiquing, I am curious.

That had to cost quite a few bucks doing what you did, why not turbo it?

I built an 1835 VW motor back around 2000. I spent 3500.00 on CB 044 super magnum heads, engle cam, dual 40 delortos yada yada.

My buddy with an identical sand rail and an 1835 spent less adding a turbo and waxed the floor with me.

Tim
To be blunt, I wish I would have. LOL! I've always been a fan of NA power and reliability. When I blew the thing up, I didn't have anything left. Adding a turbo wasn't in the budget. Going this route was cheaper at the time. Cylinders had to be replaced, all the valves had to be replaced. Crank and cases had to be replaced. I was pretty impressive. With that being said, I was going to have to buy all that anyway, so the turbo would have just been in addition. The goal was similar HP to the XDS. Keep in mind I blew this thing up 3 years ago and am just now getting it back and running due to building a house and work. It's tempting to get it moving and operating good and then trading in for a nice XDS. Would love a X3, but its not in the budget right now.

·
Premium Member
6,944 Posts
To be blunt, I wish I would have. LOL! I've always been a fan of NA power and reliability. When I blew the thing up, I didn't have anything left. Adding a turbo wasn't in the budget. Going this route was cheaper at the time. Cylinders had to be replaced, all the valves had to be replaced. Crank and cases had to be replaced. I was pretty impressive. With that being said, I was going to have to buy all that anyway, so the turbo would have just been in addition. The goal was similar HP to the XDS. Keep in mind I blew this thing up 3 years ago and am just now getting it back and running due to building a house and work. It's tempting to get it moving and operating good and then trading in for a nice XDS. Would love a X3, but its not in the budget right now.
Totally get the budget thing, these things are toys and are expensive toys to boot.

I think Mr Rpm may know something about the OG non turbo Mav, maybe Pm him? Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts