Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, without getting too technical as to what kinda tires your running, as a general rule of thumb, when your dunning would you run in 2 Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive ?? When I went to Pismo Beach I ran everything in 2 Wheel drive no problem, but Pismo has sort of JR dunes compared to Glamis or Buttercup. If You do run 4 Wheel Drive, does it take away power from the rear wheels ???

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
If you want to dune fast you do it in 4wd. 2wd is sloppy. it might feel fast but its not.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I mainly dune in 4 wd but I switch to 2wd also.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use 4wd on fast dune rides, I use 2wd when I'm just playing around in the dunes to get rear end loose. I haven't noticed any power loss when running in 4wd.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
4wd with stock tires. 2wd with paddles... Much more fun that way. Yes the back back end can get a little loose, but the the front doesn't dig in while turning. 4wd helps up the big hills for sure.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It depends on the sand conditions mainly. I can ride at the same place and use 2WD if the sand is damp and heavy but if it hasn't rained in 2 months, I use 4WD because the sand is very loose and deep......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's another dune question. What psi is everybody airing down to? Is it the same psi front and rear? I only post this here because I think it has a lot to do with the 2wd/4wd preference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I switch back and forth a little, but so far I prefer 4 wheel drive.
X2 /\

I run between 6-8psi depending on the conditions with my skat's (old 800 RZR, keep in mind. Add'l hp of Mav may play a factor in all this. Low hp=need for momentum and traction)

·
Registered
698 Posts
You guys run low . I fly at about 10-12 rear and 12-14 front . Never dig always float . Always run 2 psi higher up front . Also 2 wd is the only way to dune . 4wd is like having your training wheels on .

·
Registered
698 Posts
Let me comment though that's with smooth buffs up front and 12 paddles skat gliders rear . If your running stock tires 5psi

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
i plan on trying 2wd with my haulers and smoothies, with hopes it works great so i can pull the front diff and axles out. With air pressure i am not sure, in my last sxs's with paddles i ran 8psi in my rhino and rzr 800 with skats and 12psi in my RZR1 with Stu's i ran 12psi. With the Maverick i am not sure, i will have to play around with pressure anywhere from 8psi to 17psi.

Last season i ran 5psi in the stock tires and had to run 4wd or it would just spin out the rear end.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I prefer to run thru the dunes in 4wd and switch to 2wd when in the little dunes, flat fast runs or want more rear drifting. Regarding the best air pressure, I believe it really depends on the sand conditions and the hp of your car. Lower psi gives better traction nbut requires more hp to keep them spinning. However, last year with my the Skat 8 paddles on beadlock Hipers with my built Teryx I ran the rears with 5.5 - 6psi most and I like the front's about 2psi higher for better steering response.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mostly 2wd here...fun being loose and need the wheelspin to throw that monster roost on whoever is behind me.:tongue:

4wd is fun when rallying in small, tight bowls since it pulls so hard

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've always dune in 2WD unless it's a technical hill or one I know I'll need 4WD. Haven't had the Mav. Out yet but am sure I'll need 4WD less as I've got twice the power now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 20 of 22 Posts